All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

20 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I’d prefer Cole starting just because I think he fits better with Banchero and Wagner

See I think its the opposite. I want a strong distributor with Paolo, Franz, and WCJ. For me, I think this (assuming we make no other moves) is the best starting group

Fultz / Anthony / Cannaday

Suggs / Harris / Hampton

F. Wagner / Ross / Okeke

Paolo / Isaac / Bol

WCJ / Bamba / M. Wagner

As he currently exists, I like Anthony in that change of pace uber aggressive scorer coming off the bench.  If he learns how to consistently involve others in the offense, then there is reason to consider playing him with the starters.  I expect Suggs to be the most improved player on the Magic next year.  That said, if we aren't in tank mode, the starter at SG should be Harris until Suggs takes it away.  I want Okeke/Hampton/Bol as the main back-ups to Franz.  Ross has been great but he needs a new venue.  I expect Bol to get abused defensively, but he will either get better or follow Ross out the door.  We need to know sooner than later if he has a future.  

That four man big rotation is pretty good.  Assuming he can stay on the floor, I'd really like to see how Paolo and Isaac can play together.  That seems like a matchup nightmare for other teams.  Most fours can't handle them.  A traditional 5 doesn't stand a chance.  Do you try to put a 3 on them?

Whatever happens this season the future of the Magic is the front court. Move the back court around till it fits. It's nice to debate it but way to early to tell. What we can hope for is health and a coach that values production. I don't think there is any mandate to make the playoffs like the crazy Skiles year. So we good, just play the guys who produce. 

10 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

I would be worried too by the Fultz-Suggs pairing, from a spacing point of view. I agree that Fultz should be starting if healthy, so Suggs could be a 6th man until he prove that he's able to constantly shoot the 3.

Cole could adapt with a lot of our players and lineups, but the most important thing with him is not the fit honestly, but the mindset and the way the coaches will teach him to play.

I still don’t understand why people don’t see the fit that Fultz (driving distributor) and Harris (shooter) have, while equally giving Cole (shooter) and Suggs (driving distributor) opportunity to mesh well. 

The only reason Suggs starts next year next to Fultz is that we want to give more development opportunity to Suggs OR his shot has vastly improved. You can’t put both players on the floor, even if both of them are more overall complete players (defense, court vision, athleticism) - spacing would be a potential disaster. You need at least one shooting guard (PG/SG) on the floor at all times unless your bigs are all shooters too (which perhaps you can argue ours are / will be).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

As he currently exists, I like Anthony in that change of pace uber aggressive scorer coming off the bench.  If he learns how to consistently involve others in the offense, then there is reason to consider playing him with the starters.  I expect Suggs to be the most improved player on the Magic next year.  That said, if we aren't in tank mode, the starter at SG should be Harris until Suggs takes it away.  I want Okeke/Hampton/Bol as the main back-ups to Franz.  Ross has been great but he needs a new venue.  I expect Bol to get abused defensively, but he will either get better or follow Ross out the door.  We need to know sooner than later if he has a future.  

That four man big rotation is pretty good.  Assuming he can stay on the floor, I'd really like to see how Paolo and Isaac can play together.  That seems like a matchup nightmare for other teams.  Most fours can't handle them.  A traditional 5 doesn't stand a chance.  Do you try to put a 3 on them?

I really really hope Suggs picks it up this year

11 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I still don’t understand why people don’t see the fit that Fultz (driving distributor) and Harris (shooter) have, while equally giving Cole (shooter) and Suggs (driving distributor) opportunity to mesh well. 

The only reason Suggs starts next year next to Fultz is that we want to give more development opportunity to Suggs OR his shot has vastly improved. You can’t put both players on the floor, even if both of them are more overall complete players (defense, court vision, athleticism) - spacing would be a potential disaster. You need at least one shooting guard (PG/SG) on the floor at all times unless your bigs are all shooters too (which perhaps you can argue ours are / will be).

I see it and I honestly prefer that option, at least to start the season.

Every single game, with injuries and foul trouble, plus the obvious rotation, give you time to try other pairings and situations too. But I would like to start with that setup.

I know people here wanted Beal but hoo-boy did the Wizards bend over on his contract. 5 year super max, player option the last year, a no trade clause and a trade kicked. Guy is going to chose where he gets traded and get a pay rise for it a couple of years from now. Truly wild. 

• Upvote 1

Reporting here says Orlando turned down an offer from Houston to swap the #1 and #3 picks, once Orlando made it clear they were selecting Banchero. This means the Magic had the option to move down to #3 to draft Jabari while adding future draft compensation, but chose not to.
Quote Tweet

QV3O11jZ_normal.jpg

Brian Windhorst

@WindhorstESPN
· 1h
Paolo Banchero & Jabari Smith make their summer league debuts against each other tonight (ESPN, 10 ET) Here’s a behind the scenes look at what went down in Orlando, Houston & Brooklyn on a draft day that will forever link the two: (w/@espn_macmahon) https://espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34203706/paulo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-mystery-surrounded-nba-draft-no-1-pick

Not what I saw Shine88 …I just read the article …

Hours passed. Once the Rockets were convinced Orlando was going with Banchero, Houston reached out to the Magic to make a trade offer to get up to the top pick, sources said.

The Rockets wouldn't have made an offer if they were certain Smith would slide to them, sources said, but they were concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to digest his medical information.

Teams drafting near each other routinely carry out due diligence, feeling out pick availability and values. Perhaps the Magic, the thinking went, were running a smoke screen -- an effort to force last-minute trade offers only to move back and take the player they had allegedly been leaning toward all along is a game as old as the draft itself.

So the Magic listened to the Rockets' offer but firmly passed. The negotiation was brief, and the Rockets got the message: A deal was highly unlikely.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34203706/paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-mystery-surrounded-nba-draft-no-1-pick

5 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Not what I saw Shine88 …I just read the article …

Hours passed. Once the Rockets were convinced Orlando was going with Banchero, Houston reached out to the Magic to make a trade offer to get up to the top pick, sources said.

The Rockets wouldn't have made an offer if they were certain Smith would slide to them, sources said, but they were concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to digest his medical information.

Teams drafting near each other routinely carry out due diligence, feeling out pick availability and values. Perhaps the Magic, the thinking went, were running a smoke screen -- an effort to force last-minute trade offers only to move back and take the player they had allegedly been leaning toward all along is a game as old as the draft itself.

So the Magic listened to the Rockets' offer but firmly passed. The negotiation was brief, and the Rockets got the message: A deal was highly unlikely.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34203706/paolo-banchero-jabari-smith-jr-mystery-surrounded-nba-draft-no-1-pick

I can't read the full article as I'm not an insider.

If it's true they didn't reach out until they were certain we were selecting Banchero than I see this as Houston saving face! Do you let it be known you "settled" for Jabari?  That would be a crappy way to start his career.  Everybody knew OKC was in love with Chet.  Everybody thought we were taking Jabari and yet Houston didn't try to make a move up to #1 until they had decided we were taking Banchero. Therefore, they had him ranked higher than Smith and was inquiring what it would take to move up. We decided it wasn't worth it and got our guy.

That's how I read it.  Undoubtedly, there were early discussions, but Houston has content to get their guy at 3.  When they got wind he wasn't going to be there at 3, they asked about the cost and quickly realized the Magic had decided Paolo was better than Jabari.

I happened into a telephone call yesterday with an NBA agent on behalf of a client.  The client told me the agent was purportedly in the final list for Paolo.  I said "I'm guessing Mike Miller is pretty smooth."  Response: "Mike's a good guy.  A really good guy.  Orlando is going to love Paolo."