All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

31 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don't know how the front office pulled this one out of the hat, but it may truly be Magic! I was honestly expecting someone to make a run at Harris with a $15-17M per offer, so to keep him at $13M for one season, with the second non-guaranteed is absolutely amazing. 

Edit: If I had to guess, I would say he really enjoyed the atmosphere, team camaraderie, and the City of Orlando, and that this is a discount to prove that he is back to his pre-injury self. Wouldn't be surprised if the second year has both a team and a player option. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think we'll start Fultz/Suggs.

I think Fultz/Harris and Cole/Suggs are the more balanced pairings but Suggs development will probably take priority at this stage of the rebuild. At present Ross will be a bench wing but presuming he's traded RJ will probably take that spot.

Cannady, if he's retained, will just be an end of bench guy probably who gets spot minutes at guard when there are injuries or in garbage time.

I don’t want RJ backing up Franz.  I hope we develop another option if we trade Ross.  Maybe Harris at the three?

Edit:  forgot about Okeke

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Cole over Kelle or Cole over Suggs? Cause Kelle’s the straw that stirs the drink for the entire offense.

I worry about the spacing with Fultz starting, and Franz and Paolo should have a lot of ball handling responsibilities. If Cole was able to buy in he’d be a perfect fit with his shooting

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I worry about the spacing with Fultz starting, and Franz and Paolo should have a lot of ball handling responsibilities. If Cole was able to buy in he’d be a perfect fit with his shooting

His shooting was far from great, though 

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I know it wasn’t the greatest sample size last year, but Markelle’s setting up 3 point shooters for open looks was off the charts. I also am a big believer in multiple ball handler lineups, and while Kelle isn’t a great jump shooter, Paolo and Franz are. Also, adding the pick and roll element with Kelle and Wendell to a lineup that has Franz, Paolo and who really cares at SG will just add another element to defend. 

I also think Markelle is our best player and I haven’t given up hope on the top pick of the draft talent that is his ceiling. I’m an optimist lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I know it wasn’t the greatest sample size last year, but Markelle’s setting up 3 point shooters for open looks was off the charts. I also am a big believer in multiple ball handler lineups, and while Kelle isn’t a great jump shooter, Paolo and Franz are. Also, adding the pick and roll element with Kelle and Wendell to a lineup that has Franz, Paolo and who really cares at SG will just add another element to defend. 

I also think Markelle is our best player and I haven’t given up hope on the top pick of the draft talent that is his ceiling. I’m an optimist lol

It’s amazing to me that some people suggest Cole over Fultz. When he played, he initiated offense for himself and everyone else on the floor. His court vision was that of a guy that averages 8-10 assists per game with a full minute count and his decision making was so refreshing.

Fultz is the starting PG and arguably our best player, even better than Franz. Anyone who doesn’t see that clearly was looking at the box scores rather than the last 3 months of game play. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I would be worried too by the Fultz-Suggs pairing, from a spacing point of view. I agree that Fultz should be starting if healthy, so Suggs could be a 6th man until he prove that he's able to constantly shoot the 3.

Cole could adapt with a lot of our players and lineups, but the most important thing with him is not the fit honestly, but the mindset and the way the coaches will teach him to play.

Fultz' ability to penetrate and get to the rim or draw help defense and assist despite the fact that everyone in the building knows he's not shooting a pull up 3 is incredible. Until anyone else on the team proves they can consistently create open looks for others at the rate he does (hopefully Paolo and Franz in the future but that's a lot to ask of Paolo as a rookie and Franz might get there but again only year 2 and he's also a very very good off ball offensive player) he should be the starting PG. 

Interesting that now we could have a trio capable of creating (Fultz-Wagner-Banchero) and coaches will need to manage touches in the right way, possibly with smart rotations and second tiers lineups.