All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Hope springs eternal every summer but we are essentially running it back with the same group +Paulo.  Isaac can’t be counted on at this point.  Having Fultz back is nice but it’s not like we’ve been a big time winning team when Fultz has played. 

Will we be better this year?  Probably, given Paulo, and everyone else having more experience.  Will we win more than 30 games?   I seriously doubt it.  

If the over/under is less than 30 I'm betting the over.

We go off the graph basically for games lost to injury last season. If we normalise to a more league average position with that, get incremental improvement from some young guys, more competent guard play with having 2 real NBA calibre PGs healthy (Fultz and Cole) for 60+ games and add Paolo I think that's enough for 8 more wins minimum.

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Hope springs eternal every summer but we are essentially running it back with the same group +Paulo.  Isaac can’t be counted on at this point.  Having Fultz back is nice but it’s not like we’ve been a big time winning team when Fultz has played. 

Will we be better this year?  Probably, given Paulo, and everyone else having more experience.  Will we win more than 30 games?   I seriously doubt it.  

I struggle with the idea of having too many young guys to develop. It leads to sloppy play and bad habits, and I’ve especially seen this with our guards over the years. Be it with EP and Dipo or Anthony and Suggs last year, it’s really hard to develop a team with a lead guard who’s inconsistent or selfish. For that reason, I think Fultz’s role and health on this team are critical. Is he the long term answer? I have no idea. But at least he brings stability when he’s out there.

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If the over/under is less than 30 I'm betting the over.

We go off the graph basically for games lost to injury last season. If we normalise to a more league average position with that, get incremental improvement from some young guys, more competent guard play with having 2 real NBA calibre PGs healthy (Fultz and Cole) for 60+ games and add Paolo I think that's enough for 8 more wins minimum.

That’s the nice thing about this discussion.  We’ll actually have a real answer in the next 6-9 months.  

I just posted about how I think we'll be healthier next season and we picked up a guy who's virtually never been healthy. Fun.

4 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I struggle with the idea of having too many young guys to develop. It leads to sloppy play and bad habits, and I’ve especially seen this with our guards over the years. Be it with EP and Dipo or Anthony and Suggs last year, it’s really hard to develop a team with a lead guard who’s is inconsistent or selfish. For that reason, I think Fultz’s role and health on this team are critical. Is he the long term answer? I have no idea. But at least he brings stability when he’s out there.

Yes.  There seems to be this assumption that because we have multiple energetic young players who occasionally look excellent, many of them will develop into stars.  We see this thought process repeated again and again over the summers (“young guns” anybody?) but it’s almost always wrong.  

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Well there you go. Guessing Cannady gets waived as he's unguaranteed. But it could depend on Bols deal tbh. 

Awesome! As I said before I believe the kid has untapped potential.  Here's hoping we can bring it out...Otherwise the trade to acquire him and keeping him during his recovery made absolutely no sense.

7 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

Awesome! As I said before I believe the kid has untapped potential.  Here's hoping we can bring it out...Otherwise the trade to acquire him and keeping him during his recovery made absolutely no sense.

Ehh... "untapped potential" is always a GM's favorite phrase haha but that also means players need to unlock that. We said the same thing about Hezonja. He was supposed to be Luka lol