All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t know how likely it is, but he’s an RFA, and a life long Magic fan that was born in Altamonte Springs and played Edgewater High School and IMG Academy. Also, his first name is no coincidence, his parents literally named him after Penny.

Man let’s get him …and to me our guards definitely need help …it’s well documented 

I don't really trust Jake Fischer but the rumour from him is its between us and Clippers for Hartenstein. He really likes it there trying to compete for a championship in LA but they almost certainly won't be able to match our offer which could be for $8m a season. Said he might stay for 1 more year on the Clippers and become a free agent next year. 

14 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I don’t know how likely it is, but he’s an RFA, and a life long Magic fan that was born in Altamonte Springs and played Edgewater High School and IMG Academy. Also, his first name is no coincidence, his parents literally named him after Penny.

Super cool information. Would love to see him on the magic now if it happens. 

5 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

So, we have money to spend …one of 5 teams with cap space …what are you guys expectations knowing this ???

As I’ve stated multiple times, you don’t spend money just a fill up the cap, otherwise you end up paying someone like Bismack Biyombo $70M+. You sign the right players and look at the estimated cost of keeping your players on rookie deals in the next year or two as well. 

I could see us just resigning Mo Bamba or signing a back up big man and that’s it. I don’t think we spend money this year just for the sake of spending money because we have the cap space. 

11 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Super cool information. Would love to see him on the magic now if it happens. 

Another fun fact I used to play against his dad in a church league I was in many moons ago. He had a nasty 3 point shot and was a great passer. I’m sure Anfernee was there I just dont recall seeing him since he was tiny at the time. 

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I’d be shocked if we didn’t bring back Moe. Kids earned a seat on the bench and is a depth piece and occasional spark plug. Seems to genuinely want to be here too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

And guys I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer …but I keep reading posts about our culture and leadership from various players …we have the worst record in the league since Howard left …how do we have a great culture and great leadership knowing this ?

I wanna win some dam games …this Magic product has not even been watchable the last few years .

And just to keep it completely real I’m trying to decide if I wanna be a season ticket holder again …but jeez only if we’re trying to be competitive and not throwing stupid lineups out at end of games …at least attempting to get back in the playoff hunt .

You should listen to the local radio more. They had a segment on our CEO this morning, Alex Martins. This goes back to the conversation the other day about ownership. Alex Martin has been in the organization since the beginning in 1989! The Devos family are old school type owners. They hire and keep people they trust and generally let them run things. They spend money. This, itself is not a bad thing, i like hands off owners. The problem is Alex is a business man. He is an extremely important man in the sports world and was a huge reason the UCF program got into the Big 12. But he took over the Magic when the previous CEO divorced the Devos daughter! So Alex is a Magic lifer but he has now  overseen the worst period in Magic history.

This is where our culture comes from the last 12 years. Now to be frank lots of you know this and people were screaming to get rid of him for years on this board. He is a big time sports executive, but he's not really a basketball guy. And he knows this! So he does try to get the best basketball people. When he hired Henny it was him trying to get out in front of the new analytical movement. He had the right idea, just the wrong person. The problem is when you have a behind the scenes CEO who just hires and lets things play out you get problems.

Like the Dwight saga, Stan firing,bad coaching hires, the power struggle between Skiles and Hennigan,white board incident, and the ridiculous trade that set us back half a decade.It always starts at the top.

2 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

You should listen to the local radio more. They had a segment on our CEO this morning, Alex Martins. This goes back to the conversation the other day about ownership. Alex Martin has been in the organization since the beginning in 1989! The Devos family are old school type owners. They hire and keep people they trust and generally let them run things. They spend money. This, itself is not a bad thing, i like hands off owners. The problem is Alex is a business man. He is an extremely important man in the sports world and was a huge reason the UCF program got into the Big 12. But he took over the Magic when the previous CEO divorced the Devos daughter! So Alex is a Magic lifer but he has now  overseen the worst period in Magic history.

This is where our culture comes from the last 12 years. Now to be frank lots of you know this and people were screaming to get rid of him for years on this board. He is a big time sports executive, but he's not really a basketball guy. And he knows this! So he does try to get the best basketball people. When he hired Henny it was him trying to get out in front of the new analytical movement. He had the right idea, just the wrong person. The problem is when you have a behind the scenes CEO who just hires and lets things play out you get problems.

Like the Dwight saga, Stan firing,bad coaching hires, the power struggle between Skiles and Hennigan,white board incident, and the ridiculous trade that set us back half a decade.It always starts at the top.

So from what I understood (and this may not be accurate but it's what I sort of gathered) Hennigan was the GM but Martins still maintained some level of control in basketball decisions. And with Hennigan being a young GM and Martins imposing his own opinions at times it was a failure. 

Weltman however is not a GM he's Director of Basketball Operations (John Hammond is the GM) and the role was essentially designed to put someone with a vast amount of experience working in front offices in total control over basketball and remove Martins from any kind of decision making on that side of the business. 

Whether that actually happened is hard to say and only people internal to the organisation really know but remember those early Hennigan era press conferences when we hired a new coach or whatever and Alex Martins was there at the side of Hennigan? I can't actually remember the last time I saw him in that context. 

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

So from what I understood (and this may not be accurate but it's what I sort of gathered) Hennigan was the GM but Martins still maintained some level of control in basketball decisions. And with Hennigan being a young GM and Martins imposing his own opinions at times it was a failure. 

Weltman however is not a GM he's Director of Basketball Operations (John Hammond is the GM) and the role was essentially designed to put someone with a vast amount of experience working in front offices in total control over basketball and remove Martins from any kind of decision making on that side of the business. 

Whether that actually happened is hard to say and only people internal to the organisation really know but remember those early Hennigan era press conferences when we hired a new coach or whatever and Alex Martins was there at the side of Hennigan? I can't actually remember the last time I saw him in that context. 

Good info …so with Martins still there should I expect things to be better ?  Worse ?  The same ?

EDIT: sorry I meant to quote hootie249