All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

If we give Bamba the qualifying offer he's got like a 22 million cap hold until he signs a new deal (and the qualifying offer is like a 10+ million 1 year deal if he signs it). If we don't think Bamba is worth a deal over 10 million it doesn't make sense to offer him the qualifying offer both for the value of it and for the cap space it eats up until the contract is signed. 

The reported Hartenstein number is like 8 million a year (but we'll see both if that happens and what the number ends up being). And in my opinion Hartenstein is a better player than Bamba. 

How so ? In terms of shooting it is well documented our lack of it …Bamba is 38 percent on a large sample size from 3 …Hartenstein is 46 but the sample size is so low it’s not even measurable …he attempts like .4 a game 

And guys I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer …but I keep reading posts about our culture and leadership from various players …we have the worst record in the league since Howard left …how do we have a great culture and great leadership knowing this ?

I wanna win some dam games …this Magic product has not even been watchable the last few years .

And just to keep it completely real I’m trying to decide if I wanna be a season ticket holder again …but jeez only if we’re trying to be competitive and not throwing stupid lineups out at end of games …at least attempting to get back in the playoff hunt .

• Upvote 1

Just now, ball junkie said:

How so ? In terms of shooting it is well documented our lack of it …Bamba is 38 percent on a large sample size from 3 …Hartenstein is 46 but the sample size is so low it’s not even measurable …he attempts like .4 a game 

I think shooting is the only thing Bamba is better at and I don't think his shooting is so impactful that it outweighs all the other stuff he's not that good at. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think shooting is the only thing Bamba is better at and I don't think his shooting is so impactful that it outweighs all the other stuff he's not that good at. 

My 2 biggest problems with Bamba are the following. He can’t take advantage of mismatches when a guard switches on to him in the post. He doesn’t post them up and back them down in the paint to either score over them or force a double team. The second problem I have is that he doesn’t contest as many shots as he should at the rim. He seems to take plays off defensively instead of going after every block and rebound especially considering he has such a large wingspan.  He leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive end and IMO he lacks the motor and hustle to become a great defensive player. 

31 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Ok so I’m not great at understanding the business side of teams constructing their personnel in the off-season …why are we dumping Mo Bamba for what looks like Isaiah Hartenstein ? I’m seeing loads of teams licking their chops to get him …I do understand the numbers thing as I posted earlier about the logjam of bigs we have …is this a good move to help us in terms of winning more games ?

Anybody that cares to answer I’d appreciate it .

I haven’t watched much of Hartenstein, but my understanding is he’s a guy who is consistently giving energy, is a great team defender and rebounder, and has good offensive consistency. 

In my mind, all I had to hear was he gives a ton of effort and I liked him already more than Mo, as there are too many stories of big men who play with poor energy during their contract and magically start giving effort their contract year. I wont be hoodwinked here for our team. Give me the proven guy with energy any day over a guy with potential who has only flashed it in his contract year. 

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

My son says they are taking the cheap route …says they could definitely find someone better than Isaiah Hartenstein 

1 minute ago, ball junkie said:

My son says they are taking the cheap route …says they could definitely find someone better than Isaiah Hartenstein 

Hartenstein isn't going to be that cheap. And how much do you want to pay for a backup C? 

I think Hartenstein is good. And I think hes a similar enough player to Wendell that you can run the same schemes whoever's on the floor on offense and defense whereas Bamba forces you into doing different things because he hasn't got the feel for the game, passing or defensive mobility to approximate WCJ.

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Hartenstein isn't going to be that cheap. And how much do you want to pay for a backup C? 

I think Hartenstein is good. And I think hes a similar enough player to Wendell that you can run the same schemes whoever's on the floor on offense and defense whereas Bamba forces you into doing different things because he hasn't got the feel for the game, passing or defensive mobility to approximate WCJ.

Fair point …but back to the shooting …my goodness that’s what dictates success these days in the NBA …shooting creates spacing …which leads to good/great offense …just stating the obvious 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

It’s hard not to respect Cole’s leadership and initiative here. Good for him. I’ve wanted to trade him, but it looks like I just need to hope he improves this year.

And he will... coles a keeper

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Is there a chance we can get him ? That kid blew up in Portland after McCollum left and is also young .

I don’t know how likely it is, but he’s an RFA, and a life long Magic fan that was born in Altamonte Springs and played Edgewater High School and IMG Academy. Also, his first name is no coincidence, his parents literally named him after Penny.

Just now, ball junkie said:

Fair point …but back to the shooting …my goodness that’s what dictates success these days in the NBA …shooting creates spacing …which leads to good/great offense …just stating the obvious 

True, but Bamba doesn't really create much spacing. He takes and makes mostly just open top of the key 3s when teams help into the paint.

Passing is another underrated aspect of spacing. Teams can still sag of a good shooter if they know that the player with the ball doesn't have the vision or passing ability to get it to him. 

We might be doubling down on a team of guys who are going to move the ball quickly and hopefully generate better shots that way. 

We'll see anyway. We don't know what'll happen yet we might re-sign Bamba or we might miss out on Hartenstein.