All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

32 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m curious, what is the forums opinion of Cole Anthony? 

Mine might be unpopular, but I’d be fine with trading him and at bare min. i’d like to see his usage and shots per game dramatically reduced. 

I think he's in a weird situation where he's most comfortable with the ball in his hands but he needs to play off ball more for his game to flourish. The game would be a lot simpler for him if he was taking open spot up 3s, attacking a rotating defense and making simple reads against a scrambling defense versus having to create against a set defense. 

He needs to be better defensively to be a starter. 

We'll see. I'm not writing him off but I'm not putting him in the "definitely going to be a part of our championship roster" pile. This year is a big one for him (and Okeke and Hampton) because he'll be eligible for a rookie extension next summer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think he's in a weird situation where he's most comfortable with the ball in his hands but he needs to play off ball more for his game to flourish. The game would be a lot simpler for him if he was taking open spot up 3s, attacking a rotating defense and making simple reads against a scrambling defense versus having to create against a set defense. 

We'll see. I'm not writing him off but I'm not putting him in the "definitely going to be a part of our championship roster" pile. This year is a big one for him (and Okeke and Hampton) because he'll be eligible for a rookie extension next summer. 

I agree with this 100%.  He could be a microwave scorer off the bench. He is going to have to become a more efficient scorer and 3 point shooter even in that role. I’d be willing to trade him in a larger package for sure.  I think most of us like Fultz and Suggs better long term. 

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think he has the potential to be a multi-time winner of the 6th man award. He always plays with energy, and when he is hot he is almost unstoppable. He is almost a smaller, younger version of TRoss. I think he could be a third guard, playing almost starter minutes, backing up both PG/SG positions a la Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson in his Detroit Pistons Bad Boy days. I can see him as a fill-in starter when there is an injury, but I don't know that I believe in him as a full-time starter. I don't think he has the game control ability as a PG that Fultz has, and he is under-sized for a full-time SG. I think as a 6th man, he could be a dominant force off the bench. 

I think we are of the same mindset, I think the 6th game off the bench, less trigger happy T-Ross would be a good role for Cole. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree with this as well, I’m not writing him off, but I’d be willing to trade in for the right return. Like you said, this is a big year for the guys you listed. I’d also include Fultz and JI to that list as well, but for different reasons that Okeke, Hampton and Cole. 

8 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m curious, what is the forums opinion of Cole Anthony? 

Mine might be unpopular, but I’d be fine with trading him and at bare min. i’d like to see his usage and shots per game dramatically reduced. 

I don’t like his selfish style and I don’t think he’d be cool coming off the bench and ruining a big payday.

I’d trade him

16 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I don’t like his selfish style and I don’t think he’d be cool coming off the bench and ruining a big payday.

I’d trade him

Agree

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I’d trade him

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Agree

Me too.  He has to become a lot more team oriented to make me a believer.  When he hogs the ball, it makes everyone else out on the court with him worse.   

31 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Me too.  He has to become a lot more team oriented to make me a believer.  When he hogs the ball, it makes everyone else out on the court with him worse.   

I basically agree if I've to judge him for who has showed to be until now, but that's also on coaches and lack of leaders on the roster, he's still young and could change if he's willing to learn.
I know that could sound like a silly example, but look at Wiggins (and a lot of others in the past). We've criticized him a lot in the past (when considering him for a trade for example, or for the value of his contract) but he found the right role in the right team with the right coaches and leaders, and he seem a different player.
Sometimes the destiny/situation of a player is dictated by the team that draft him or trade for him.

• Upvote 1

It’s kind of hard to judge coles game when we lacked any player who can create for themselves before Fultz came back. So I’m not so quick on letting Cole go he’s competitive and just wants to win. I forgot what game it was, but when Coles shot wasn’t falling he was still crashing the boards and ended with like 14 boards