All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

9 hours ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Bruce Brown is also an RFA that would be a nice get in a sign and trade for Bamba`

I agree though I have a feeling Brooklyn would rather keep Brown and not get Bamba than lose Brown and get Bamba. Especially if they're giving up Joe Harris.

Actually we can shut this Nets talk down can't we? If they acquired somebody in a sign and trade they'd be hard capped at the tax apron which... I can't find an estimate for, the tax line is estimated to be $147 mil and their payroll already exceeds that ($155m) Unless Kyrie opts out and takes less money which seems unlikely. So I don't think it's likely they can acquire Bamba for like $12m a season and be under the apron... Although we'd be taking back Harris so that'd clear up 6mil in salary.. God this is getting complicated. I guess the Nets trade may or may not be possible lol

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/orlando-magic-guard-rj-hampton-on-wednesday-hampton-was-the-24th-overall-pick-in-the-2020-nba-draft-and-has-also-played-for-the-denver-nuggets-in-addition-to-the-magic

RJ Hampton apparently wants to be in contention for both 6th man of the year and defensive player of the year ... If RJ Hampton could be a positive defender that'd be a start. But fair play to him. I hope he's working hard to get there. I think he might get squeezed for minutes this season if I'm honest unless he takes a leap.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

This looks like a steal for Dallas. Wood must have been a locker room problem in Houston.

Edit - Wood’s advanced defensive stats are really bad. That adds context.

6 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

This looks like a steal for Dallas. Wood must have been a locker room problem in Houston.

Or he wanted to get paid and Houston wasn’t willing to fork over the guaranteed money. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/news/orlando-magic-guard-rj-hampton-on-wednesday-hampton-was-the-24th-overall-pick-in-the-2020-nba-draft-and-has-also-played-for-the-denver-nuggets-in-addition-to-the-magic

RJ Hampton apparently wants to be in contention for both 6th man of the year and defensive player of the year ... If RJ Hampton could be a positive defender that'd be a start. But fair play to him. I hope he's working hard to get there. I think he might get squeezed for minutes this season if I'm honest unless he takes a leap.

I was really hoping to learn which of the other guys have been in Orlando this summer training? 

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Edit - Wood’s advanced defensive stats are really bad. That adds context.

To me Woods is a stat-padder that doesn’t really impact winning. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

To me Woods is a stat-padder that doesn’t really impact winning. 

99% of Houston fans celebrated his exit on their forum

Here's my sort of minimum expectations for the off-season (I.e. things I think we should do or would like to see without hoping for huge trades or big free agent deals):

Move T Ross - hopefully with 32+35 to get back into the first but I'd settle for an expiring and future pick(s), it might only end up being 2nd rounders depending on his value around the league. 

Re-sign Gary Harris - this might be tough, I imagine a fair few contenders will be throwing the MLE at Gary (max of about 4/43m if the website I'm looking at has estimated correctly) but he's still relatively young he might opt for like a 3/39 deal from us or something thinking he can make up that difference in the 4th year easily and ring chase then. It depends what he values as well he might think we're going places or he might just want to go straight to those places rather than wait. This is low-key the most interesting thing for me, whether we offer him, where he goes etc. He's a good basketball player in his prime and this team will need some vets.

Get something in a sign and trade for Bamba - I'm not opposed to keeping Bamba to be honest but he's not an integral part of the future in my opinion and I prefer WCJ so id want the contract to reflect that. Something like 3/33 with a player option on that 3rd year or something might be reasonable for both sides, it's just more than the qualifying offer, less than WCJ and gives Bamba some control if he pops off. If it gets much richer than that I hope we can turn him into some stuff via a sign and trade, vets we can rehab and trade later and late picks would be fine. 

Keep RoLo or add a bench backup big - I like RoLo for his role, his energy and his personality so I want to keep him but if he gets a better offer we need a vet bench big who's happy to not play but can play in a pinch. Although looking at what's out there after RoLo there's not a lot of good options... Maybe like Ed Davis or something.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Here's my sort of minimum expectations for the off-season (I.e. things I think we should do or would like to see without hoping for huge trades or big free agent deals):

Move T Ross - hopefully with 32+35 to get back into the first but I'd settle for an expiring and future pick(s), it might only end up being 2nd rounders depending on his value around the league. 

Re-sign Gary Harris - this might be tough, I imagine a fair few contenders will be throwing the MLE at Gary (max of about 4/43m if the website I'm looking at has estimated correctly) but he's still relatively young he might opt for like a 3/39 deal from us or something thinking he can make up that difference in the 4th year easily and ring chase then. It depends what he values as well he might think we're going places or he might just want to go straight to those places rather than wait. This is low-key the most interesting thing for me, whether we offer him, where he goes etc. He's a good basketball player in his prime and this team will need some vets.

Get something in a sign and trade for Bamba - I'm not opposed to keeping Bamba to be honest but he's not an integral part of the future in my opinion and I prefer WCJ so id want the contract to reflect that. Something like 3/33 with a player option on that 3rd year or something might be reasonable for both sides, it's just more than the qualifying offer, less than WCJ and gives Bamba some control if he pops off. If it gets much richer than that I hope we can turn him into some stuff via a sign and trade, vets we can rehab and trade later and late picks would be fine. 

Keep RoLo or add a bench backup big - I like RoLo for his role, his energy and his personality so I want to keep him but if he gets a better offer we need a vet bench big who's happy to not play but can play in a pinch. Although looking at what's out there after RoLo there's not a lot of good options... Maybe like Ed Davis or something.

Okay, that is really scary - I'm seeing almost exactly my thoughts and things I've said in someone else's words! 100% agree!

• Like 1

I’m curious, what is the forums opinion of Cole Anthony? 

Mine might be unpopular, but I’d be fine with trading him and at bare min. i’d like to see his usage and shots per game dramatically reduced. 

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m curious, what is the forums opinion of Cole Anthony? 

Mine might be unpopular, but I’d be fine with trading him and at bare min. i’d like to see his usage and shots per game dramatically reduced. 

I think he has the potential to be a multi-time winner of the 6th man award. He always plays with energy, and when he is hot he is almost unstoppable. He is almost a smaller, younger version of TRoss. I think he could be a third guard, playing almost starter minutes, backing up both PG/SG positions a la Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson in his Detroit Pistons Bad Boy days. I can see him as a fill-in starter when there is an injury, but I don't know that I believe in him as a full-time starter. I don't think he has the game control ability as a PG that Fultz has, and he is under-sized for a full-time SG. I think as a 6th man, he could be a dominant force off the bench.