All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

We were 11th in attempted 3's last year, and 28th in 3 point shooting %.  Harris and Bamba were the only players above the league average of 35.4% (Franz was right at league average).  I don't see us getting out of the lottery until the shooting improves.

They evaluated way too much time with an average team, losing a couple season withoud deciding a proper direction.

They lost a lot of possibilities to trade players at the top of their value that way. The Vooch trade looks good because of Wagner now, but wasn't exactly an incredible package for an AllStar. Judgement on Carter is still up, one good year in a season contract is not enough.

Both coach and staff choices are still meh IMO.

Trading for Fultz at that price was a no-brainer, but they have been really passive in a lot of situations. Losing possibilities with second round picks wasn't always smarter.

Extensions on Fultz and Isaac were very risky, even with those clauses on Isaac.

Overall, it's a mixed bag for me. They've made a few good things, but not enough to convince me that are a top FO.

• Upvote 2

My only point is that we have a path now that isn’t just maxing out at mediocrity. Obviously, there are still moves to be made that will dictate how far we can go.

Also, strong disagree that the Vuc trade wasn’t maximizing his value and only “looks good because of Franz”. We have 2 cornerstones of the franchise, got out of Aminu, and still have another potential lotto pick coming. Vuc’s play has already gone down and the Bulls are about to lose Lavine slamming the door shut on their all-in window.

Finally, I’ve heard numerous people refer to the Fultz trade as a “no-brainer”. If that was the case, why didn’t everyone do it?

Look, I know the rebuild has been long and hard, and honestly never ending, and patience is pretty much gone, but if we can’t find a way to be excited about the potential of the roster right now, than what are we doing here?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

My only point is that we have a path now that isn’t just maxing out at mediocrity. Obviously, there are still moves to be made that will dictate how far we can go.

Also, strong disagree that the Vuc trade wasn’t maximizing his value and only “looks good because of Franz”. We have 2 cornerstones of the franchise, got out of Aminu, and still have another potential lotto pick coming. Vuc’s play has already gone down and the Bulls are about to lose Lavine slamming the door shut on their all-in window.

Finally, I’ve heard numerous people refer to the Fultz trade as a “no-brainer”. If that was the case, why didn’t everyone do it?

Look, I know the rebuild has been long and hard, and honestly never ending, and patience is pretty much gone, but if we can’t find a way to be excited about the potential of the roster right now, than what are we doing here?

Hoping against hope that this “bottom out to get good strategy”, which I’ve never agreed with, actually works this time.  Failing that, hoping that if it doesn’t work again, they try something different next time.  

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

We tought we had the same path in the start of the Henningan era. To be great, everything has to be great, including FO and staff. And I don't see that level in the roster either.

Vuch trade, if compared with other All-Stars, was not that great. Now surely looks better in hindsight, but still not a steal. Thanks for reminding me about Aminu btw, a terrible move, that lowered the value we got on that deal. There were moment, previously, in which we could have surely got more for Nik.

Because we hadn't nothing to lose with the Fultz trade, other teams were in different situations. Still a great move, but only if it works until the end.

I'm not impatient, only judging the FO for what they've made, not only for what could be in the future. Even if we're going to win a Ring (hopefully) some of those errors would still be there. I'm excited by the potential of part of the roster, but we really have nothing that suggest us we're a sure contender, or even more than a team maxing out at mediocrity at that point.

• Upvote 1

Jamahl Mosley question …isn’t he largely credited with the development of Luka Doncic and that is one of the main reasons he got the Magic gig ? …For anyone that cares to respond .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Jamahl Mosley question …isn’t he largely credited with the development of Luka Doncic and that is one of the main reasons he got the Magic gig ? …For anyone that cares to respond .

Yes he was. Seem to be really good with relationship with the players.

I actually like the coach, and the players seem to like him. Not sure he has all the X's and O's to be a great one, but hopefully he'll grow with the team.

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Luka was Luka before he was even drafted. Come on, dude was the best in the euro league at 18 years old. 

8 hours ago, ball junkie said:

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Luka was Luka before he was even drafted. Come on, dude was the best in the euro league at 18 years old. 

There’s that.  Then, there’s also a difference between establishing great relationships with individual players and helping them develop, versus holding all the players accountable as a head coach.  Frankly, I didn’t really see much of that in Mosley’s post game conferences.  No matter how many mistakes were made or how bad a beating we took, it was all a learning experience which will help us get better in the future.  Even if the goal last year wasn’t to win a lot of games , you should never portray that outwardly, because it sends the message to the players that you don’t care what they do.  

To me, jury is out on Mosley.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:16 AM, The Neighborhood Bully said:

We were 11th in attempted 3's last year, and 28th in 3 point shooting %.  Harris and Bamba were the only players above the league average of 35.4% (Franz was right at league average).  I don't see us getting out of the lottery until the shooting improves.

Which is exactly why we need to re-sign Harris and draft 3 guys that can shoot 3's.

Rumors are surfacing that the Jazz may be open to trading some of their complementary pieces like O’Neale. If that’s true, we’d be wise to jump all over that. O’Neale is the exact type of versatile vet we need as a big 3 and D guy. 

Read this: “O’Neale’s utility on the defensive side of the ball is not only by far the best on the team - his adaptability on that end of the floor rates him as one of the most versatile defenders in the league today. Per crafted nba, his “versatility” rating is 76 (0-100 scale), comparable with players like Robert Covington (71), Draymond Green (75), and Mikal Bridges (77).

It’s one thing to be tasked with guarding four different positions regularly. It’s another thing to grab that assignment and spike it into the ground like Gronk at the Super Bowl.”

https://www.slcdunk.com/platform/amp/2021/2/24/22293105/royce-oneale-ultimate-3-and-d-glue-guy-all-defensive-team-all-nba-utah-jazz

From what I understand, O’Neale has two more years left on his deal at under 10k/year. I’d give up some package around Cole, Chuma or one of our high second rounders.