All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

I think I just want to move on from Mo. He still has holes in his game and could be expensive to match. Let someone else take that risk and we can get a guy for MLE or 2nd round of draft to replace him. Another thing to mention is there are rumors about his attitude and work ethic and he didn't really step up and get better until his contract year this year. He didn't do enough to justify being a lotto pick and I just see his consistency being a problem for rest of his career. He'll be a backup somewhere and maybe that's where he will excel. 

And lastly maybe Coach Mosley was tanking and that was the reason, but I also don't won't throw out two starting centers again with him and WCJr. I think even though the +/- didn't always show it ...this the league has changed so much that throwing two bigs out there for long periods is a recipe to lose. The experiment worked in small batches, don't make it a long term thing where Magic fans have to watch that crap again next year.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m on watch for us making a big move. I know the hot debate is tanking and if Chet can hold up, but I’d be ok with trading our first. Something like Ross, RJ, 22 first and whatever other picks it takes for Donovan Mitchell?

This would be a very smart move for us and maybe for a shake up in Utah. Gobert and Chet could be very fun defensively

35 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

This would be a very smart move for us and maybe for a shake up in Utah. Gobert and Chet could be very fun defensively

If there’s even a chance, I’d do it.

I know that we are all sick of losing, but I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone - we didn't do a good job evaluating what we actually had during the beginning of our last rebuild, and consequently made the mistake of choosing to retain the wrong players (Payton, Fournier, Gordon) and trading others (Oladipo, THarris).

I am not a Mo Bamba fan, nor am I a RJ Hampton fan; but I do occasionally wonder if I am rushing to judgement on them. This front office does seem to have a history of letting young players have the time to develop, so I would not be surprised to see us re-sign Mo Bamba and not make any major trades. I think they may try to move TRoss, because he's 31 and doesn't fit the time frame of the rest of the team. I think they will try to keep Gary Harris as the primary veteran, since he is 3 years younger than TRoss and plays more consistent defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robin Lopez back, because I think his work ethic, and always being ready is a valuable example to our young players. I think they also have established a level of trust and rapport with him. 

Obviously, if you have a chance to make a trade for a difference maker, you have to consider it - but let's also remember, many people thought Serge Ibaka would be a difference maker! We gave up Oladipo and the draft rights to Sabonis for him. How did that work out? Chicago gave up WCJ, the pick that became FWagner, and another pick for Vucevic - bet they wish they could get a re-do on that now. We always need to remember, if another team is willing to trade an all-star, there is a reason. (Obviously, if the All-star has requested/demanded a trade, that's a little different)

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The thing is, I wouldnt want to pay Bamba more than WCJ as I believe Wendell to be the superior player and you could argue Wendell is under paid after the season he just had versus the contract he signed. Will Bamba be willing to come back at a similar price? And would we be inclined to keep him at that price when we already have a starting C? It'll be interesting. 

Bamba at a similar price would be an overpay, IMO, and also something WCJ could potentially not enjoy.

Only one season is not enough for me for that price range, with all the question marks still on him. With a cheaper contract, we could discuss. He would became a trade chip too, eventually.

2 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Bamba at a similar price would be an overpay, IMO, and also something WCJ could potentially not enjoy.

Only one season is not enough for me for that price range, with all the question marks still on him. With a cheaper contract, we could discuss. He would became a trade chip too, eventually.

Couldn't agree with you more! I like what Bamba did to improve his worth to this team, but I actually believe we need to see more. He should try to complete a season with less time on the IL, bulk up more and continue to improve. Offer him an incentive based contract just north of the mid level  exception. 

5 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I know that we are all sick of losing, but I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone - we didn't do a good job evaluating what we actually had during the beginning of our last rebuild, and consequently made the mistake of choosing to retain the wrong players (Payton, Fournier, Gordon) and trading others (Oladipo, THarris).

I am not a Mo Bamba fan, nor am I a RJ Hampton fan; but I do occasionally wonder if I am rushing to judgement on them. This front office does seem to have a history of letting young players have the time to develop, so I would not be surprised to see us re-sign Mo Bamba and not make any major trades. I think they may try to move TRoss, because he's 31 and doesn't fit the time frame of the rest of the team. I think they will try to keep Gary Harris as the primary veteran, since he is 3 years younger than TRoss and plays more consistent defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robin Lopez back, because I think his work ethic, and always being ready is a valuable example to our young players. I think they also have established a level of trust and rapport with him. 

Obviously, if you have a chance to make a trade for a difference maker, you have to consider it - but let's also remember, many people thought Serge Ibaka would be a difference maker! We gave up Oladipo and the draft rights to Sabonis for him. How did that work out? Chicago gave up WCJ, the pick that became FWagner, and another pick for Vucevic - bet they wish they could get a re-do on that now. We always need to remember, if another team is willing to trade an all-star, there is a reason. (Obviously, if the All-star has requested/demanded a trade, that's a little different)

Bravo !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Mac said:

Wondering if Kat maybe an option to trade for

I get why you would say that. Kat is not an Alpha and never will be but he is still very skilled. He could work on the right team. For instance if  i was Memphis i would sell the farm to get him as long as they keep Ja,Bane and Clarke. Kat needs a team where someone else is the main guy, i think he has that because Anthony will be a super star in a few years. But he needs the right team around him. For instance he would work best on a team that had the current incarnation of guys like Aldrige,Milsap,Boozer. Not saying those guys, the first two are about to leave the league and obviously boozer is long gone. He just needs to be on a team with a great power forward who dominates in the paint and mid game. Whoever is like that now. Maybe Siakam, possibly next to Bam? Maybe with us with Isaac and WCJ? 

Not sure but Kat is never going to be a true star, he is ridiculously soft and doesn't have the drive guys like Dame,Steph,Lebron,George,Kawhi, and Obviously Jimmy Butler. That guy was around Kat for one year and knew him and Wiggins didn't care about winning. You could tell in kat's  press conference the other night.

21 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I fully expect Utah to blow it up this off-season. They’ve taken this core as far as it can go, and now they can’t even beat Dallas without Luka.

Saying this, the smart move would to be to blow it up and continue to build around Mitchell, but crazy things happen all the time and some teams are dumb. And I’m a hopeless optimist. So let’s go get Spida!

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

……Kat needs a team where someone else is the main guy, i think he has that because Anthony will be a super star in a few years….

Anthony?  Really??

Admire the optimism but I sure don’t see it.