All Eyes On Me

2022 Off-season Thread

10 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Which dunk do y’all think was better …The Franz dunk or the Suggs dunk ?

Great video. Should be a reminder for everyone thinking about future draft picks, free agency. It's not all about measurables and athleticism. 

It's still boils down to work ethic and what's between the ears. Ross still moves great at his age, his physical talent is off the charts. He should  be one of the premier 3 and D guards in the league at his size. Go look at his draft notes and player notes when he was traded to us. He doesn't do the little things, just a shooter. Doesn't get to the line, not a good passer, should have better rebound numbers for his size,etc. And when all you do is shoot and are that inconsistent, nobody trades for you.

Better still look at LaVine. Guy is about to be the most coveted unrestricted free agent this summer. Came into the league as a guy who relied on his speed, athleticism and suffered a pretty major injury. Forced him to work on other things, now he is a 3 level scorer. Still can't defend but that's another story. 

I expect it will probably be fairly quiet in here over the summer, punctuated by a few periods of intense activity, such as the lottery, the draft, any significant personnel moves, and summer league. 

I want to thank all my fellow posters who stay connected to the team despite the less than optimal circumstances in the past few years.    I enjoy our discussions, and greatly appreciate the civil tone even when there are disagreements, as was also mentioned by our moderators.  

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I want to thank all my fellow posters who stay connected to the team despite the less than optimal circumstances in the past few years.    I enjoy our discussions, and greatly appreciate the civil tone even when there are disagreements, as was also mentioned by our moderators.  

+1

50 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2022/04/15/orlando-magic-offseason-preview-3-going-and-3-staying-in-the-rebuild/
3 players who should be staying …and 3 players who should be leaving …agree or disagree ?

I would have to say I agree with most of it actually. 

Bamba - Last time I looked his Qualifying Offer is about $10.1M and the mid-level exception is about $10.25M, so most teams could potentially make him an offer; the question then becomes - will anyone? Is there another team in this league that thinks he has shown enough to justify that kind of money or more; the answer is, maybe. I think this front office will probably make him the QO, and try to either 1) sign him to a 2-3 year deal with lots of incentives, or 2) let him play the year and punt the decision to next summer. To me, he is our biggest question mark.  Mostly agree that he stays.

G Harris - I think if you can resign him for around $15M per, you have to do it. A returning veteran, who gives you tough defense and a scoring punch, and decent leadership; I don't think you let that walk away if he wants to stay.  Mostly disagree, I think if he wants to and is a reasonable price, he stays.

WCJ - He's under what now looks like a brilliant contract, improved almost every facet of his game, and had a great year. Why are we even talking about him? He's not going anywhere. Agree.

Ross - I actually agree with this one. A couple more bites at the trade apple - I think one of those bites takes. He may start the season in Orlando, but I doubt he will finish it here - especially if G Harris stays. I agree, T Ross' days are probably numbered - trade deadline at the latest.

JI - Nobody is trading for this contract unless he comes back and looks great; in which case, he is under a good contract for another couple of years, why would we trade him? I agree, he probably stays.

Lopez - Yes, we may have too many bigs to keep him, especially if we draft Banchero. However, he has already shown he is a great end-of-bench guy, always ready to come in and contribute. As far as I can tell, everyone on the team loves the guy; and he's a reasonably cheap, very professional, veteran presence. Both WCJ and Moe Wagner have shown the ability to play some PF, and either Holmgren or Smith would probably play PF for the first couple of years in the league anyway. I disagree, I think Robin stays.

Bonus - I think Moe Wagner's contract gets guaranteed. A young big who can back up both PF/C, has a reasonable outside shot, plays with energy and attitude, already knows your system, contributes to the integration of his brother, and costs you under $2M. To me that's another no-brainer. 

26 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

This has been a long time coming. I wish him well, I’ll miss the Torch, but it’s in the best interest of both parties to find him a new team.