Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2022 NBA Trade Deadline Thread

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

What do we think, does MCW deserve an appreciation thread? He’s the last remaining piece that really screams Steve Clifford era 

Not my favorite player , but he always plays hard with energy and effort. 

Best Magic player tweet of the day.

https://twitter.com/TerrenceRoss/status/1491866032645947396?s=20&t=WcmUAfjtC97nZoaTEoW4hA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/C8HuiIKOPq">pic.twitter.com/C8HuiIKOPq</a></p>&mdash; Terrence Ross (@TerrenceRoss) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerrenceRoss/status/1491866032645947396?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sidenote: How have I been on this message board for years and I STILL can't figure out how to embed a tweet? lol 

2 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

The 2nd round pick we got is for 2028. Boston would have been in the luxury tax had they not made the deal with us so that has saved them a lot of money so they gave us a pick and cash as a thank you.

They gave us cash but we have to pay the salaries of these players who we aren’t using so I’m not sure who comes out ahead there from a money standpoint.  And didn’t we also give them a second round pick?

I think the whole "really disappointing trade deadline" talk is a bit overblown. We weren't going to do anything massive right now anyway. Could we have made some type of combo package and gotten something, sure...but what do you really want at this point? More draft picks? 

I honestly think the vet presence of Gary Harris, Robin Lopez, and Terrance Ross is more valuable to our young core now than they are for whatever we could've gotten for them and still been a bottom 5 team. We need vets to teach our young guys how to be professionals. Cole is mature for his age because of his dad, but the others need help. Let Bamba and WCJ continue to develop with playing time. Cole, Suggs, and Franz continue to shine. And it's just a waiting game for Fultz and JI. 

There wasn't any more that I think we could have made that would have made sense. I'd rather us go hard after a big FA than make some silly trade. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, JJZFL said:

They gave us cash but we have to pay the salaries of these players who we aren’t using so I’m not sure who comes out ahead there from a money standpoint.  And didn’t we also give them a second round pick?

No, we didn't give them a second round pick it was protected 31-55 so we would need to be a top 5 team for it to convey. It was given to them as we had to offer something back for the trade to work so the protections were done to make it impossible for them to get it. The pick we received is for 2028 and protected 31-45. 

The money received will likely cover the two players for the remainder of the season. Boston actually save a lot of money even though they essentially covered the salary of both players for the Magic as it takes them out the luxury tax. So they don't pay into it at premium cost and they also now become a team that receive a split of the money from any remaining team that are now in the luxury tax when the season finishes.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, harryfromphilly said:

I always liked him    I know he didnt put up numbers and he had some haters.

But I thought he brought so much energy

That energy was actually missed in a few games. And he could have lead by example. Not sure why cutting him and not others, but maybe was for his injury status, don't know.

The lack of ideas of that management is worrysome at least, IMO. And no, it's not an overreaction after that trade deadline, it's an opinion that I've repeated multiple times through those seasons.

4 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

No, we didn't give them a second round pick it was protected 31-55 so we would need to be a top 5 team for it to convey. It was given to them as we had to offer something back for the trade to work so the protections were done to make it impossible for them to get it. The pick we received is for 2028 and protected 31-45. 

The money received will likely cover the two players for the remainder of the season. Boston actually save a lot of money even though they essentially covered the salary of both players for the Magic as it takes them out the luxury tax. So they don't pay into it at premium cost and they also now become a team that receive a split of the money from any remaining team that are now in the luxury tax when the season finishes.

Ok.  That makes sense.  Thank you for filling in those details.  I guess what we get out of it is a look at Bol and a moderate chance of another second round pick in 2028.  Not fantastic but it’s enough to explain why we did the deal.   

Underwhelmed. Magic and Toronto should have made something work out. Should have sent T-Ross and Bamba to the Raptors for that FRP the Spurs received. 

Its just hard to see a redemption story for Mo here, mostly because it rarely happens. Yes i full expect them to offer a short multi-year deal in the range between his current salary and his qualifying offer. 7-10 million a year.

It's just it's hard for me to see him take that, and if he does it will be because nobody else is offering anything. And if that is true, why should we be keeping him? I'll take it all back if he comes out and plays lights out next year, but the best situation is him getting 10-20 minutes at best. If he is getting more then something went wrong. It would mean we didn't get any of the big 3 in this summers draft and maybe Isaac never made it back. 

Still if they can keep him for less then 10 mill a year, you kind of have too. Having 20 million or so locked up in center money isn't bad. I mean if i squint i can see a F/C rotation of Jabari Smith,Bamba,WCJ and Isaac. Sounds good on paper, but as we have seen doesn't always work out in real life. 

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Ok.  That makes sense.  Thank you for filling in those details.  I guess what we get out of it is a look at Bol and a moderate chance of another second round pick in 2028.  Not fantastic but it’s enough to explain why we did the deal.   

Basically Boston is about 23 million dollars better off by giving us the money to cover the salaries. The non luxury tax teams all get quite a significant amount this year due to the crazy amount the Warriors have to pay. Theyve been in the luxury tax 3 of the last 4 years so they will be giving up around $170,000,000. Then theres another 6 teams paying it as well. The Clippers and the Nets are paying quite large amounts also.

So yeah, essentially we got a 2nd round pick and a free look at Bol Bol for nothing (I dont think Bol Bol is any good for what its worth.)