Sign in to follow this  
All Eyes On Me

2022 NBA Trade Deadline Thread

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

What a random trade. 

Jazz just wanted a few bodies since Ingles was out for the year and expiring. Alexander-Walker is a big guard, so in theory he can defend in short minutes and is cheap to keep around another year. It's just weird Portland didn't keep him which just shows what we all knew, it's about the money.

Portland is gonna trade Dame this summer. How can they not? In theory they will have cap space and two lottery picks but what can they do with that to win next year?

The scary part for us this is another team that will barely win any more games this season. Right now they have seven more wins then the Magic. The way the deadline is going down for Portland they obviously plan on putting out the worst team possible the rest of the year. Add them to Detroit, OKC and Houston. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Jazz just wanted a few bodies since Ingles was out for the year and expiring. Alexander-Walker is a big guard, so in theory he can defend in short minutes and is cheap to keep around another year. It's just weird Portland didn't keep him which just shows what we all knew, it's about the money.

Portland is gonna trade Dame this summer. How can they not? In theory they will have cap space and two lottery picks but what can they do with that to win next year?

The scary part for us this is another team that will barely win any more games this season. Right now they have seven more wins then the Magic. The way the deadline is going down for Portland they obviously plan on putting out the worst team possible the rest of the year. Add them to Detroit, OKC and Houston. 

Hate to slander the boys but all we gotta do is basically nothing and we will be WELL on our way to still finishing at the bottom. Like I'm not holding my breath on J.I and Fultz coming back any time soon. We could do nothing and I'll have to find a way to be okay with it

Given how little Portland got for McCollum, we'll be lucky do get anything of value for Harris or Ross. What a weird and depressed trade market. 

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Given how little Portland got for McCollum, we'll be lucky do get anything of value for Harris or Ross. What a weird and depressed trade market. 

The rumor I keep seeing for Ross is him to the Lakers for THT and a super protected first, which I guess isn’t the worst deal.

32 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The rumor I keep seeing for Ross is him to the Lakers for THT and a super protected first, which I guess isn’t the worst deal.

I am not a big fan of THT…we already have guards who are not great shooters (Suggs, Fultz). If that is the only deal we have then it is better to keep Ross. He is going to be on the expediting deal next season.

League sources tell MassLive that the Celtics are on the hunt for a shooting upgrade this week and they may be looking to make another trade deadline deal with the Orlando Magic for the second straight season. Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports that the Celtics’ ‘primary target’ is 31-year-old swingman Terrence Ross ahead of Thursday’s deadline.

The 6-foot-6 wing is averaging 10.9 points 2.6 rebounds and 2.0 assists for the Magic this season in a reserve role. He’s struggled with his shot compared to his career averages, knocking down just 30.8 percent of his 3s. However, he’s been a high volume 3-point shooter throughout his career, hitting 36.4 percent of his 3-point attempts during his career while taking over five shots per game from long distance. Washburn mentions Dennis Schroder, another player and draft compensation as a potential trade package for Ross.

Ross would be a bit of a pricy addition given his subpar numbers this year and his salary as a bench player. He’s making $12.5 million this season and will also earn $11.5 million next year in the final season of a four-year deal he signed with the Magic in 2019.

Boston could technically absorb Ross into the team’s Evan Fournier traded player exception worth $17 million if a deal is made but it’s far more likely that there would be salary matching involved since the Celtics would not want to run up a high tax bill by not sending out salary. A combination of Schroder and Romeo Langford or Aaron Nesmith plus a minimum salary filler would provide the necessary money needed for salary matching in a swap.

That type of deal would certainly strengthen Boston’s shooting on the wing as Ross would demand the respect of defenses given his track record. However, it is uncertain whether Ross is worth investing a useful bench piece in the present by using Schroder, along with potentially a young wing and a draft pick in to obtain for a guy shooting 30 percent from 3-point range on the year. The Magic would not have any interest in keeping Schroder per league sources so any deal involving him with Orlando would likely lead to him being moved to a third team or a buyout.

There’s also the issue of the luxury tax since the Celtics would be adding about $3 million in salary if they added Ross’ deal to their payroll and only send out Schroder and one of Langford/Nesmith or other salary filler. The Celtics may be able to trim their payroll in other deals to get under the tax but it is doubtful ownership would green light paying the tax this year just to acquire a reserve like Ross.

Still, there are few proven shooters on the market and Ross is certainly one of them at this trade deadline for a rebuilding Orlando squad. Whether he’s worth the potential asking price remains unclear as the trade deadline approaches.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/02/celtics-trade-rumors-2022-terrence-ross-is-a-primary-target-for-boston-in-deadline-deal-report.html

yes to Nesmith

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Jazz also save $11M on their luxury tax bill

• The Orlando Magic are definitely open for business on Gary Harris, Robin Lopez, and Terrence Ross. Both Ross and Lopez have a first-round pick asking price attached, even if it’s a high one. Lopez in particular will likely get a lot of callers on Thursday given the run on back-up bigs. There is a better-than-decent chance Harris is bought out after the deadline.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-intel-ben-simmons-james-harden-lakers-knicks-2022

A 1st rounder for Lopez is a stretch

A first round for Lopez or Ross is a pipe dream. Maybe Harris because his improved play lately, but very late first rounder at best. These writers become so ridiculous this time of year, just hoping some of the crap they spew sticks to a wall somewhere. It’s all for more clicks. 

People say a first round pick for Lopez is a stretch. Which it is. But then how many teams in the 20s take a big every year that never even makes his second contract. If I was a team in with a chance of winning a title I'd rather have Robin Lopez for half a season + playoffs than a raw 19 year old who plays 5 mpg for 3 years before we waive him.