Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Magic at Celtics Official Game Thread - Sun., Jan. 2nd @ 6 PM

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

That’s as bad of a loss as you can have. It’s nice to have some depth start coming back, but man it would’ve been nice to finally beat the Celtics, and we should have.

I’m worried about the coaching.  Why didn’t he do something about the 1 on 1 play and lack of team basketball in the last four minutes??

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

I’m worried about the coaching.  Why didn’t he do something about the 1 on 1 play and lack of team basketball in the last four minutes??

Yeah, Moseley has been very poor in game management. Especially in crunch time. He seems to be very much a players coach, and the kids love him and are having fun, maybe too much fun, but right now he’s leaving a lot to be desired with Xs and Os. I think there is reason for alarm there for sure.

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, Moseley has been very poor in game management. Especially in crunch time. He seems to be very much a players coach, and the kids love him and are having fun, maybe too much fun, but right now he’s leaving a lot to be desired with Xs and Os. I think there is reason for alarm there for sure.

Once we develop players and decide to compete the coach is going to be changed…

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Once again in crunch time we go to one on one play and completely stop passing. Results are predictable.

A lot of NBA teams do this. One of my pet peeves 

I actually watched this game. 

Was fun mostly. 

Some of these G league guys try hard and hustle but I don't really envisage any of them have won a full contract (on the strength of that game anyway).

Nice "please trade for us" games from both Harris and Ross who was super hot. 

They had an All Star who scored 50 and, in my opinion, got some very favourable whistles and we still took them to OT. I honestly would not like to be a Celtics fan after watching that.

The decision not to take a time out down 3 that lead to the jump ball and loss of possession is genuinely baffling. 

Franz had a rough game scoring. That's the type of game he can learn a lot from when he watches it back though, things like how to deal with the pressure and length and double teams etc. If he wants to be great those are the kind of things he'll need to get used to. Still had some nice moments though cutting and passing and playing defense and I legitimately thought that 3 was heading in in OT that would have put us up 1 in the last minute or so.

I know there are a number of plays that affect the course of the game but when you tie and go into OT I can't help but think about the blown wide open dunk by Bamba. 

as great as franz has been as a rookie, this was his worst game as a pro

moseley is a disaster, and that whole "he develops players" and his coaching looks as bad as the ibaka trade right now

its inexplicable to give this many minutes to frazier instead of gravett for example, who could be with us for the long term

not calling to in the last play, or as soon as get the board before the end of regulation

the players will grow and we will get a top 3 pick this season, but with this coach we can't gain anything

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

A lot of NBA teams do this. One of my pet peeves 

I don’t think it’s a good idea in general but if you have a superstar I can at least understand it.  In our situation I can’t.  When the game is on the line and the opposing defense is ratcheting up the intensity is when it’s most important to keep moving the ball.  We did the opposite.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I actually watched this game. 

Was fun mostly. 

Some of these G league guys try hard and hustle but I don't really envisage any of them have won a full contract (on the strength of that game anyway).

Nice "please trade for us" games from both Harris and Ross who was super hot. 

They had an All Star who scored 50 and, in my opinion, got some very favourable whistles and we still took them to OT. I honestly would not like to be a Celtics fan after watching that.

The decision not to take a time out down 3 that lead to the jump ball and loss of possession is genuinely baffling. 

Franz had a rough game scoring. That's the type of game he can learn a lot from when he watches it back though, things like how to deal with the pressure and length and double teams etc. If he wants to be great those are the kind of things he'll need to get used to. Still had some nice moments though cutting and passing and playing defense and I legitimately thought that 3 was heading in in OT that would have put us up 1 in the last minute or so.

I know there are a number of plays that affect the course of the game but when you tie and go into OT I can't help but think about the blown wide open dunk by Bamba. 

We were ahead by 14 with 4:20 left in the game.  I don’t give us credit for “losing well” in this one.  

The way Franz needs to deal with double teams is to pass to an open guy rather than try to force his way through them like Gordon would.   Once again he had more turnovers than assists ( 2 assists, 3 turnovers).  He still needs considerable work on keeping his teammates involved.  

It was Gravetts first game back after being on the Covid protocol, although it’s not clear to me if that means the player actually had Covid (maybe just “exposed”).  He looked a bit rusty but I think he should get a full contact.

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

We were ahead by 14 with 4:20 left in the game.  I don’t give us credit for “losing well” in this one.  

The way Franz needs to deal with double teams is to pass to an open guy rather than try to force his way through them like Gordon would.   Once again he had more turnovers than assists ( 2 assists, 3 turnovers).  He still needs considerable work on keeping his teammates involved.  

It was Gravetts first game back after being on the Covid protocol, although it’s not clear to me if that means the player actually had Covid (maybe just “exposed”).  He looked a bit rusty but I think he should get a full contact.

It's much easier to say "pass to open teammates" than it is to actually do it when you're a 20 year old rookie being double teamed and guarded by All defense players like Smart and Brown and playing against a top 10 defense with G league team mates. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's much easier to say "pass to open teammates" than it is to actually do it when you're a 20 year old rookie being double teamed and guarded by All defense players like Smart and Brown and playing against a top 10 defense with G league team mates. 

It may not be easy but it’s easier than dribbling into double coverage and hoping to score. He’s initiating these plays.  

Franz didn’t play with G leaguers last night.   He was mostly on the floor with Harris,  Carter, Bamba, Frazier, and sometimes Ross.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Babir_9 said:

Once we develop players and decide to compete the coach is going to be changed…

We heard the same thing a lot with Vaughn (and we know how that turned out).  I’ve never understood it.  If the coach can develop the players and teach them to play good team basketball, then I want him for the long term.  If he can’t, then I don’t want him at all.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

We heard the same thing a lot with Vaughn (and we know how that turned out).  I’ve never understood it.  If the coach can develop the players and teach them to play good team basketball, then I want him for the long term.  If he can’t, then I don’t want him at all.  

You and I don't often agree, as I do think you tend to take the "glass half-empty" view most of the time; but I have to agree with you 100% on this take.

I do like the camaraderie that has developed among the players, and that does reflect well on Moseley and his staff; but I have not been overly impressed with the teamwork on the floor and the x's and o's being called. As someone noted, there have been a few questionable coaching moments in late game situations and player substitutions. He may be a great development guy as an assistant coach, but not the guy you want in the main chair. The problem is, if development/one-on-one is his strength, are we losing that by having him be the top guy?