CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

Markelle 24 - comeback year due to major injury - only played in "about 12 games" last year 

Jalen Suggs 21 - only played in 48 games in his rookie year due to injuries

Franz 21 - played in 79 games in his rookie season

Jabari 19 - rookie

Wendell 23 - 4 year veteran, played in 62 games last year 

JI 25 - has not played the last 2 seasons due to major injuries

Cole 22

RJ 21

Chuma 24

Average age of the top 9 players next year: 22

Teams this young usually do not contend for the playoffs, which is what probably happens next year.....we know too, that the FO is in FULL REBUILD mode for at least one more year.

Wins needed to make the bubble in the EC last season.....43....we won 22. Can we win 10 more games next season? Yes

The team is talented for sure. Next season is going to be fun. The players have to continue to grow which means playing time for all is going to be managed to like 24 minutes per game per player. 

We should see multiple combinations of players on the floor...one example is with 6'10" Franz at the 2......Markelle, Franz, Jabari, JI and Wendell. Like this one, many more will be tested.

Highly probable that Markelle and JI won't play in back-to backs during the first few months of the season.

The reality is, at least to me, next season is for exploration BEFORE THE MAGIC IS TURNED ON IN 2023/24

We held out players for extended time because we didn't want to win. They were injured but could have come back but we didn't want to win. There is no way that isaac was not ready for over 2 years... 

34 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

What metrics? 

Measured: 6’4.25” barefoot, 6’5.25” in shoes, 8’7.5” standing reach, 198 lbs, 6’11.5” wingspan at the 2022 NBA Draft Combine …

According to NBAdraft.net: Big, strong hands give him excellent control of the ball. Certainly has NBA range on his jumper that he showed during the EYBL tournament … Can seal off in the low-post and has a scoring arsenal with his back turned as well in the high post … One of the highest upside players available for this year’s draft …

Coach Calipari gave him the stamp of approval saying Sharpe would be the (2023) number one pick if he were to return to Kentucky next season.

Think about it this way.  When we look at Chet we say can he ever put on enough weight.  When we talk about Jabari we ask if he is a good enough athlete to be more than a spot up shooter.  Those discussions are about whether the player has the physical ability to be great.  I don't perceive that to be the discussion we have with Sharpe.  With Sharpe it is about why he didn't play college ball.  It is about whether he has the drive to be great.  It is about what his team has done.

I guess I should start with this disclosure.  I love watching NCAA Basketball, but I don't think it at all predicts who will be successful in the NBA.  I am old enough to have watched Christian Laettner dominate college ball and be terrible as a pro.  Thus, I don't care at all that I can't watch tape of him dominating college age kids.  The above tells me that he has all of the attributes (metrics) you'd like to package into a SG.  Size, length, weight, hands, range, high and low post moves and jump out of the gym hops. 

So the only question I have on Sharpe is whether he has the competitive fire.  The Magic can find that out in interviews. 

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Measured: 6’4.25” barefoot, 6’5.25” in shoes, 8’7.5” standing reach, 198 lbs, 6’11.5” wingspan at the 2022 NBA Draft Combine …

According to NBAdraft.net: Big, strong hands give him excellent control of the ball. Certainly has NBA range on his jumper that he showed during the EYBL tournament … Can seal off in the low-post and has a scoring arsenal with his back turned as well in the high post … One of the highest upside players available for this year’s draft …

Coach Calipari gave him the stamp of approval saying Sharpe would be the (2023) number one pick if he were to return to Kentucky next season.

Think about it this way.  When we look at Chet we say can he ever put on enough weight.  When we talk about Jabari we ask if he is a good enough athlete to be more than a spot up shooter.  Those discussions are about whether the player has the physical ability to be great.  I don't perceive that to be the discussion we have with Sharpe.  With Sharpe it is about why he didn't play college ball.  It is about whether he has the drive to be great.  It is about what his team has done.

I guess I should start with this disclosure.  I love watching NCAA Basketball, but I don't think it at all predicts who will be successful in the NBA.  I am old enough to have watched Christian Laettner dominate college ball and be terrible as a pro.  Thus, I don't care at all that I can't watch tape of him dominating college age kids.  The above tells me that he has all of the attributes (metrics) you'd like to package into a SG.  Size, length, weight, hands, range, high and low post moves and jump out of the gym hops. 

So the only question I have on Sharpe is whether he has the competitive fire.  The Magic can find that out in interviews. 

I don't believe anything for one second that wasn't recorded in an official environment. If he truly had the greatest vertical leap on record why didn't he get that officially recorded at the combine? Also lest we forget a vertical leap does not a great player make. Nikola Jokic can't jump over a phone book. 6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan is good but it's not even the best length/wingspan combo in the draft among wing players so hardly "freakish". The rest of the stuff you posted aren't any kind of metrics at all they're the opinions of a second rate draft site (even if they could be correct)

Nor do I particularly buy anything Calipari says. He might honestly believe Sharpe is the best player he's ever seen and he might even be correct. But he's going to gas up every guy who walks through his doors because he's always recruiting new kids and he doesn't want to burn bridges with any "handlers" and what not (Sharpe's agent is also the guy who brought SGA to Kentucky). This is a man who said Skal Labissiere should be a lottery pick because if he went back to school he could very well be a future #1 overall pick. He plays in Brazil now. 

This is why I can't get on the Sharpe train. Everyone else in the draft we have numbers, analytics, film etc. Sharpe we have "Calipari says he's good" cool ok. He also said James Young was good. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Unfortunately i entirely disagree. Christian Laettner wasnt a terrible pro. He was a #3 pick that maybe didn't pan out to be as great as he was perceived to be. Literally after him no other player except for Robert Horry and Doug Christie ever were more then roleplayers. Latrell Sprewell was the 90s version of jimmy butler.

Laettner actually averaged 18 ppg his rookie year. He average 17ppg his first 6 years - made an allstar game. His total points scored in his career puts him around 250 ever to play the game. He really wasnt bad.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone question Smith’s athleticism. His issue is lack of ball skill development and three level scoring. If you watched him play at Auburn, dude soars to deflect shots and gather boards. Additionally, he can switch on defenders with ease.

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone question Smith’s athleticism. His issue is lack of ball skill development and three level scoring. If you watched him play at Auburn, dude sours to deflect shots and gather boards. Additionally, he can switch on defenders with ease.

did you mean scour? or soars?

22 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This is why I can't get on the Sharpe train. Everyone else in the draft we have numbers, analytics, film etc. Sharpe we have "Calipari says he's good" cool ok. He also said James Young was good. 

Givony gives him pretty high marks …higher than anyone …but he’s not infallible …numbers, analytics and film isn’t a garuntee either …Cal at this point is a used car salesman …nobody or at least so called experts have a general consensus who is number 1 …but all things being equal you go for the most talented guy and that’s exactly what our GM’s said they were gonna do …all guys at the top will get their chance to impress …our management is are vets …they know how to play the game I think …pretty sure they’ll be able to decipher if someone is not mentally fit for this job …

Edit and Givony claims to have watched Sharpe practice with UK

37 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

But he's going to gas up every guy who walks through his doors because he's always recruiting new kids and he doesn't want to burn bridges with any "handlers" and what not (Sharpe's agent is also the guy who brought SGA to Kentucky). 

Wow this is good info CT …did not know that …since the Sharpe/UK debacle I’ve had a bad taste in my mouth about Sharpe’s handler …but he must know talent because SGA is a budding NBA star 

Sharpe is the kind of guy who could wind up being a steal or a major bust. You don’t draft that guy 1st overall. Ask Cleveland how that went with Anthony Bennett.

We’re choosing between Paolo, Chet and Jabari, I truly believe Sharpen isn’t in consideration.

• Like 2