2022 NBA Draft Thread

Random draft thoughts:

Best shot (and body)? Smith

Best two way player? Holmgren 

Best playmaker? Banchero 

Best driver? Ivey

Best ceiling (at most important position)? Sharpe

Best adaptability? Murray

I think any of these guys could end up making all-star teams in the pros. Maybe throw Daniels in there, too. I also could see every one of these guys having average careers. So much depends on what’s between their ears, what’s in their chest, the culture into where they’re drafted, and injury luck. I personally hope WeltHam swing for the fences and take the player they think could turn into a force as a player and leader.

I've given it thought and unless you're going to draft Chet, just trade down and draft Sharpe -who is just as good as anyone else AND get yourself a haul. I don't dislike Smith and Paulo at all. I just think you can trade down and get a comparable talent AND more

• Upvote 1

I am genuinely fearful that Sharpe is fools gold. Why else would his advisors be absolutely desperate for us to never see him play? 

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-shaedon-sharpes-decision-to-turn-pro/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-division-i/news/shaedon-sharpe--nba-draft-kentucky-wildcats/ak11htrtzeaptxrqvaoexqac

Im also very skeptical of any of you here preaching Sharpe because I'm almost certain you're just looking at a 6'6 explosive guard who can shoot and trying to stuff Sharpe into the TMac shaped holes in your hearts. Or you're of the misguided belief that star wings are more important than anything else in a league where the last 4 MVP seasons were bigs and the only guy shorter than 6'7 to be the best player on a championship team since Kobe 12 years ago is the greatest shooter of all time. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im also very skeptical of any of you here preaching Sharpe because I'm almost certain you're just looking at a 6'6 explosive guard who can shoot and trying to stuff Sharpe into the TMac shaped holes in your hearts. Or you're of the misguided belief that star wings are more important than anything else in a league where the last 4 MVP seasons were bigs and the only guy shorter than 6'7 to be the best player on a championship team since Kobe 12 years ago is the greatest shooter of all time. 

Speaking for myself, that’s why I like Smith as my overall pick. I think he’ll be able to play the 3-5, and I trust his unrefined skills will develop in time. Right now, we know he’s an elite shooter, can defend really well, and is still young, and was the “best player he’s ever coached” for an elite D1 program.

As to the importance of the wing position, Hollinger’s take stood out to me:

“[T]eams continue to overvalue taking big centers at the top of the draft. We’ve had 18 centers drafted in the top six picks since 2002; only three of them have played in an All-Star Game, and in the case of Chris Kaman, we’re defining this term extremely broadly. Should Mobley and Deandre Ayton eventually make it, we’ll be at five. Woohoo.

Mobley proves the exception to the rule — a 7-foot center who plays as a perimeter player, particularly on defense. Meanwhile the best offensive center in the league (Nikola Jokić) was picked 46th, the best defensive center (Rudy Gobert) was picked 27th, and this year’s other 7-foot All-Stars (Jarrett Allen and Joel Embiid) were picked 22nd and third respectively.

On the flip side, we’ve had a perimeter All-Star selected in the top five of every draft since 2010, if we assume one of Cunningham or Barnes breaks through soon. And we’re on a stretch of 20 straight drafts in the top six. A couple of them stretch the definition of “All-Star” a bit (Andrew Wiggins was voted in, and Devin Harris and D’Angelo Russell each made it once), but most were legit.

Overall, we’re talking about 27 All-Star perimeter players from 19 drafts, and 23 of them were no-doubt-about-it, All-Star-caliber players. Despite the zest for size at the top of the draft, most of these stars weren’t that big; only Kevin DurantLeBron JamesBen Simmons and Brandon Ingram were taller than 6-7.”

https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LaVar said:

If we don't fake injuries,  this year coming, we will be close to the play-in. Once you get the #1 pick, tanking should be over. Odds are you don't win the lottery again.

Markelle 24 - comeback year due to major injury - only played in "about 12 games" last year 

Jalen Suggs 21 - only played in 48 games in his rookie year due to injuries

Franz 21 - played in 79 games in his rookie season

Jabari 19 - rookie

Wendell 23 - 4 year veteran, played in 62 games last year 

JI 25 - has not played the last 2 seasons due to major injuries

Cole 22

RJ 21

Chuma 24

Average age of the top 9 players next year: 22

Teams this young usually do not contend for the playoffs, which is what probably happens next year.....we know too, that the FO is in FULL REBUILD mode for at least one more year.

Wins needed to make the bubble in the EC last season.....43....we won 22. Can we win 10 more games next season? Yes

The team is talented for sure. Next season is going to be fun. The players have to continue to grow which means playing time for all is going to be managed to like 24 minutes per game per player. 

We should see multiple combinations of players on the floor...one example is with 6'10" Franz at the 2......Markelle, Franz, Jabari, JI and Wendell. Like this one, many more will be tested.

Highly probable that Markelle and JI won't play in back-to backs during the first few months of the season.

The reality is, at least to me, next season is for exploration BEFORE THE MAGIC IS TURNED ON IN 2023/24

CT …first off I’m posting a link of past NBA champions …pretty sure the majority of these teams were lead by dominant wing players or dominant wing play as in GS …I do think the rules of the game now cater to explosive wings …

https://blog.ticketcity.com/nba/nba-finals-champions/?amp

Now, Sharpe has all the physical gifts and skill you could ask for imo …highest one in the draft and that’s per Jonathan Givony …but you can’t measure what’s between a guys ears and heart …no garuntees …but that also goes for anyone else the Magic are contemplating drafting …at least Givony is attaching his name to an opinion instead of scout 1,2 and 3 .

But, I digress …Sharpe will get his turn to impress Magic brass and I’m positive they will do their due diligence …they already are and if they suspect Sharpe may not rise to the occasion mentally then we shouldn’t draft him …everyone has their opinions and that’s fine by me 

• Upvote 2

Is it a farfetched scenario - I mean in the realm that your scratching your head that i even suggested it, but do you think we could flip our #1 and #32  for #2 and #12 then flip bamba and #12 for like 4, 5 or 6? That way we can pick who we want at #2 and then pick up sharpe or ivey at the other spot?

Would a team even be willing to pick up Mo and #12 for their 4 -6 pick (whichever team would bite)

Would OKC be willing to straight up trade their #12 for Mo and a #35? Bamba of today is easily as tantalizing as any after 8 lottery pick this draft. They'd effectivly be trading an unproven 12 for a 4 year tested #6 pick who could blossom in the OKC environment with Chet, either backing him up or playing together..

22 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Is it a farfetched scenario - I mean in the realm that your scratching your head that i even suggested it, but do you think we could flip our #1 and #32  for #2 and #12 then flip bamba and #12 for like 4, 5 or 6? That way we can pick who we want at #2 and then pick up sharpe or ivey at the other spot?

Would a team even be willing to pick up Mo and #12 for their 4 -6 pick (whichever team would bite)

Would OKC be willing to straight up trade their #12 for Mo and a #35? Bamba of today is easily as tantalizing as any after 8 lottery pick this draft. They'd effectivly be trading an unproven 12 for a 4 year tested #6 pick who could blossom in the OKC environment with Chet, either backing him up or playing together..

Unfortunately, I don’t believe so with Bamba. Plus, he’ll be a RFA if we tender him. I do think WCJ has legit value, as some have wondered whether he could fetch us 4. Personally, I’d rather not trade WCJ, as I love his contract, age and advanced numbers.

Bamba's problem is he is getting more expensive than the pick.

On Sharpe. If I'm a scout for a team draft in the 6-10 range I'm throwing shade non stop hoping he drops.

UK needs to get over it.  The kid didn't think he was draft eligible. When he found out he was draft eligible and he'd likely go top 10 he decided to take the money and run. 

High school and AAU games, and even college games are a great predictor of NBA success.  What are his metrics and what's the attitude?

Sharpe's metrics are freakish. That's not in dispute. The Magic should basically have scouts living with him the next few weeks.  He says he wants to be #1, prove it.  Prove you've got the drive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Bamba is not trade eligible at the draft. He's a restricted free agent but he's not allowed to discuss with any other teams until about a week after the draft so he can't be signed and traded.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I am genuinely fearful that Sharpe is fools gold. Why else would his advisors be absolutely desperate for us to never see him play? 

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-shaedon-sharpes-decision-to-turn-pro/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-division-i/news/shaedon-sharpe--nba-draft-kentucky-wildcats/ak11htrtzeaptxrqvaoexqac

Guilty. I’ve moved Chet back to the top of my board, and I’ve moved Banchero to 2. I’ve been more and more on Banchero lately. I still can’t help but love the idea of Sharpe though. I have him at 3.