CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

50 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

I think we are going to find out how competitive and talented the top prospects are when they come to workout.....it will not be an easy decision for the FO. This draft class is good !!!

Maybe they’re all good, or maybe they’re all solid and no one is really great enough to stand out.  At least not until they actually play in the NBA.  This is still a crapshoot.  

• Upvote 1

Ok hypothetical …Of these 5 teams at the top of the draft besides us

OKC …Houston …Sac …Det …Indiana 

Take each team one at a time and pretend they have the first pick …Who would they want and how desperately would they want said player ?

For anybody that followed the NBA closer than me …trying to figure which team is a possible fleece candidate for Weltham .

35 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Ok hypothetical …Of these 5 teams at the top of the draft besides us

OKC …Houston …Sac …Det …Indiana 

Take each team one at a time and pretend they have the first pick …Who would they want and how desperately would they want said player ?

For anybody that followed the NBA closer than me …trying to figure which team is a possible fleece candidate for Weltham .

I posted this in the offseason thread, but I came up with a possible trade that does work on NBA Trade Machine | TradeNBA :

Pacers get: T Ross, #1 pick

Magic get: Malcolm Brogdon, #6 pick, Cavaliers 2023 1st round pick (Indiana owns these rights now)

Pacers are looking to get out of Brogdon's contract (3 years), and the Magic get a younger 1/2/3, who could be our go-to scorer while our young guns are developing. We probably still get one of Sharpe/Ivey/Murray/Griffin/Mathurin with the #6 this year, and that gives us three first round picks in what is supposed to be a very deep draft next year - ours, Chicago's, Cleveland's. 

• Upvote 1

The rub on trading down is there is no guaranty a future pick will ever get you exactly the player you wanted.  In this draft there is supposedly a top 3 (but really a top 2).  In order to be willing to trade down the Magic have to be assured they will get one of those top guys they are comfortable are interchangeable for  them.  If they aren't interchangeable, you have to get your guy.  Thus, the Magic can really only look past 2 if they like someone else as much as they like Smith and Chet.  

Looking at those other teams is fun if you think there is a way to pry their pick away, but realistically, Sac is the only team that appears to be out of rebuilding mode and they likely have their sites on #4 getting them a really good established player.

• Upvote 1

I think sac we'll be jumping for joy if we take Chet, Okc takes Paolo, then houston take sharp and jabari falls to 4 or swap that with jabari going 3 - they have really good odds to get something good at 4.

Every draft for the last 8 years was like that for us. We always fell out of the guaranteed good picks and the possible really goods.

I feel the same way about us trading up for another first round pick this year as I did last year. We still have so much youth to develop that I’d rather see us move assets for established players if we are moving assets.

Just my 2 Pennies

This depressing reminder popped up on my FB feed the other day.

"The Miami Heat have barely anyone drafted in the lottery and yet they are always good. Meanwhile, the Orlando Magic get lottery picks every year and are always bad."

May be an image of ‎14 people, people playing sports and ‎text that says '‎MIAMI HEAT UNa Na MIAMI MIAM 22 MMI 17 JKG MIAMI LKO MIAMI 21 ล MIAMI 31 MIAMI 2 24H 24CK 30H 3nPPΙCK PICK 35"PCK UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED UNDRAFTED ORLANDO MAGIC ORLANOO 34 "ኢግ0 سع ORLANDO 22 ORLANDO 20 ORLANO 8 7대 7ICK ORLANDO 5 रવ DALANDO 4 6.PICK fIl PICK A PICK 1PICK 8APICK GH PIK AИ FOREVER 5HPICK 5TH‎'‎‎

To be fair, most of the high picks on our team are very young while the Heat players are mostly established vets, and they do have a few 1st rounders (e.g., Herro), but this point illustrates that maybe it's time to stop thinking continually about trading away our young, promising talent for more high picks and instead worry more about maximizing the potential and development of the talent we have? 

• Upvote 2

Listened to a podcast from 740 the team this morning. Mike Tuck pointed out a fact i think we all know but forgot. The last number 1 pick to lead the team that drafted him to a chip was Tim Duncan. He was drafted in1997! Now LeBron counts but his case is special. He left the Cavs and came back. Clearly he was good enough to win a title and i still marvel how bad the Cavs organization is to have only one chip with LeBron.

Think about that. Why has this this happened? Injuries? Defensive changes? 3 point explosion? One and done players? Can debate about this for hours. 

You need a couple things to be a playoff team every year, offense and stars. We need a star. We need more offense and we need an offensive focal point. Yes once a team is a yearly playoff team you need defense to advance, you need 3 point shooting, you need spacing and rim protection...yadda yadda yadda. We need a star. Mike Tuck sees Jabari as a high level role player, yes even a future all-star but a second or 3rd player on a great team. His number one pick is Banchero or Chet. mostly because he can see a path to being a number one offensive option with Paolo. In Chet he can see a path to being a star but never as the number one player on a team. 

I like his take. Also he mentioned that Kwame Brown is related to Jabari Smith. I didn't know that.

The league has changed but guys who create their own shot are the biggest stars. It's why Curry is a bigger star then his brother. It's why Luka is amazing even though he is slower and fatter(lol). It's what makes Jokic a two time MVP in a league where centers are marginalized. In fact i'll give you guys a hot take you can roast me about.

If any team trades for our number one pick it will be for Banchero. So much smoke out there right now. I think the Magic want someone to trade with us but i'm not going to pretend to know for sure who they want. Still think the rumors are true about Jabari because he fits the personality of the Magic. 

1 minute ago, hootie249 said:

Listened to a podcast from 740 the team this morning. Mike Tuck pointed out a fact i think we all know but forgot. The last number 1 pick to lead the team that drafted him to a chip was Tim Duncan. He was drafted in1997! Now LeBron counts but his case is special. He left the Cavs and came back. Clearly he was good enough to win a title and i still marvel how bad the Cavs organization is to have only one chip with LeBron.

Think about that. Why has this this happened? Injuries? Defensive changes? 3 point explosion? One and done players? Can debate about this for hours. 

The honest to god answer is its just really hard and takes a lot of talent to win a championship. 

It mostly comes down to having a top 10 player in the league plus at least one more top 20 or so player.

Truthfully having a top 10-15 player of all time helps. Something like 17 of the 25 championships on offer since 97 have been won by a team that featured one of Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, Duncan or Kobe. Of the remaining 8 3 of them are a team that has Steph Curry. 

Then you're left with the 04 Pistons who had like 3 All Star calibre players and a DPOY. 

The 08 Celtics had 3 actual All stars one of whom was DPOY. 

The 11 Mavs is possibly the least talented team but they still had Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, Tyson Chandler playing All NBA calibre defense and Dirk going god mode all playoffs. 

The 2019 Raps had Kawhi at his very best plus Lowry, FVV, Gasol, Siakam, Ibaka. 

And last year's Bucks has MVP Giannis, Middleton and Holiday. 

As good as a lot of #1 picks end up being (don't forget several of them were just bad players) they can't all be MVP calibre, top 10 players in the league level that are good enough to be the centre piece of a dynasty and so they get traded or move in free agency to find situations where they have enough talent to win a championship. Or they get injured and have to retire or except lesser roles. That's just the way the league is.