CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Mentioned Justin Lewis and David Roddy in my post where I thought up a couple names we'd possibly target in the 2nd. 

Dereon Seabron is a guy who I don't know much about but there are some draft guys who's opinions I trust that are high on him as a wing creator bet. 

Haven't seen Gabe Brown or Donovan Williams on many draft boards but they're both upperclassmen wings who can shoot. Maybe 2 way contenders. 

Shows they are doing due dilligence. Also tells me they know we need more wings. Most of these guys are later picks, our two second rounders are right at the top, we should be able to get a couple sliders from the first round.

33 minutes ago, Forumreader said:

can we workout kai sotto

7”2 filipino 

I'm not sure that we would have a roster spot to even consider him for. A lot depends on what we are planning in the draft and free agency. Of course, it might be a good tactic to keep people guessing. I would certainly take a look at him, even if I didn't think we have a spot for him. There is always a Lakeland spot to consider too. I just don't see him making the Orlando roster. 

At seasons end, we had five guys that play (at least some) center on the roster - WCJ, Bamba, Lopez, M Wagner, and Bol. Of those five, only one is currently under a guaranteed contract for next year, WCJ. Moe Wagner has a contract, so all we have to do is guarantee it and he is back - at $1.8M this should be a no-brainer. If for no other reason than this kind of cheap, one year contract is valuable for making numbers work in trades.  Bamba and Bol are potentially Restricted Free Agents, assuming we make them the necessary Qualifying Offers; or unrestricted if we do not. Lopez is already an unrestricted free agent. So we potentially could have anywhere from 1-4 centers tied to our cap space. 

If we guarantee Moe Wagner, and plan on making the QO offer to either Bamba or Bol, or plan on drafting Holmgren, we could end up overloaded at the center; so bringing in someone like Sotto to workout sends a signal about what is on the table and what might not be. I say bring him in.

Apparently Q-Rich, who obviously is a part of the Magic broadcast team, has said he's hearing it's Chet on Colin Cowherds show. Now obviously he's not privy to the actual scouting conversations but he is around the building etc and he'll have friends and acquaintances who maybe privy to those conversations.

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Apparently Q-Rich, who obviously is a part of the Magic broadcast team, has said he's hearing it's Chet on Colin Cowherds show. Now obviously he's not privy to the actual scouting conversations but he is around the building etc and he'll have friends and acquaintances who maybe privy to those conversations.

We’re over a month away from Draft Day …nobody has been in for official workouts/interviews …I find it very doubtful any decisions have been made and in fact management has even said as much …they are planning a very thorough process and I’m thankful for that 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Smoke to push OKC to trade up and give us 2 & 12? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

We’re over a month away from Draft Day …nobody has been in for official workouts/interviews …I find it very doubtful any decisions have been made and in fact management has even said as much …they are planning a very thorough process and I’m thankful for that 

I think we are going to find out how competitive and talented the top prospects are when they come to workout.....it will not be an easy decision for the FO. This draft class is good !!!

I've almost sold myself on Chet at #1, despite the frame issues, based simply on the fadeaway I see on tape.  Sort of like Dirk's fadeaway or Kareem's hook, it isn't defensible.  So if he can hit it consistently enough, you instantly have a player that can get a quality shot at anytime without having to worry about who has the ball in their hands, spacing, etc.  Obviously he is hitting the shot on the tape I'm watching.  Does anyone have access to metrics on his percentage on that shot at Gonzaga?  

I do hate the frame.  Again, I've almost talked myself out of it being a problem if he is playing the 4.  There are of course plenty of 4's that could still body him but not like at 5.  I also think the frame might work to his advantage at times.  NBA bigs won't expect him to be able to fit through the small cracks, but his rail thin frame and coordination will provide plenty of room.

I don't want Paolo.  Isn't he Vuc all over again?  A ball dominant big?  Carter is close enough to that for me to be more than willing to ship him out if it gives us a chance at Sharpe.  No way i want two of them on the roster.

• Upvote 1