CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Just for discussion sake only.  If Sacramento called and offered Orlando the 4th pick for Carter, would Orlando make that deal? 

Jabari Smith (Top 100: No. 2) and Chet Holmgren (Mock draft: No. 1)

Tuesday's lottery removed one of the big questions from the 2022 NBA draft -- who is picking first? -- and cleared a path for Smith to make a short trip from Atlanta to join what's becoming one of the most interesting young rosters in the NBA in the Orlando Magic. While Magic executives have made it clear they will conduct a thorough process -- even extending beyond the widely believed top three prospects in Smith, Holmgren and Paolo Banchero -- most NBA teams firmly believe that's a formality and that Smith is all but assured to become the top pick. Smith, for his part, appears thrilled with that development. So is Holmgren over his looming marriage with the Oklahoma City Thunder, which is also the overwhelming expectation from NBA executives with whom we spoke at the draft combine. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33969912/winners-losers-2022-nba-draft-combine

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

I watched this last night and enjoyed the talk. I learned a few things. Skip to 15:15 for Magic specific talk (short). 

If you don't feel like watching, the former OKC scout says:

- all signs pointing to Jabari going #1

- Paolo is a darkhorse for #1 pick. we really like him.

- best skills = Paolo; analytics darling = Chet; best developmental project = Jabari

- Ivey has Kobe-like mentality and Det has been gunning for him. 

- if OKC trades back, it'll be for Ivey

This is the first time I’ve heard Ivey as a big hitter that could crack the top 3. “Kobe-like” is a huge compliment and I would assume doesn’t come lightly. 

10 hours ago, LaVar said:

I am not counting on fultz or Isaac because they don't stay healthy.

Don't worry about them too much next year....both will be in their comeback year after major injuries. Markelle we know, is a little bit ahead of JI as he played in some games last season.

Both will play limited minutes....I'm going to say max of 24 a game and won't play in back-to-back games.

The team will continue the FULL REBUILD next year....and will be one of the youngest teams in the league.....with so many young players to develop, the minutes have to be split as evenly as possible. I don't see a player averaging 30 minutes a game next season.

I'm predicting they improve from 29th to around 25th.

Season 2023/24 is another story...this is when the team turns the Magic on !!!!  Many, many years of many, many wins then.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just for discussion sake only.  If Sacramento called and offered Orlando the 4th pick for Carter, would Orlando make that deal? 

Personally I won’t. WCJ played very well last year, is on a good contract and he’s A solid Vet. 

Magic are so young and I don’t think they need to get younger with potentially 4 draft picks in this hypothetical. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think at this point, it would come down to if we want Carter or if we want Chet. I think Carter has proved himself to both enjoy the team chemistry we’re building and have a good role here. I guess it all depends on what you see in Chet. 

4 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Don't worry about them too much next year....both will be in their comeback year after major injuries. Markelle we know, is a little bit ahead of JI as he played in some games last season.

Both will play limited minutes....I'm going to say max of 24 a game and won't play in back-to-back games.

The team will continue the FULL REBUILD next year....and will be one of the youngest teams in the league.....with so many young players to develop, the minutes have to be split as evenly as possible. I don't see a player averaging 30 minutes a game next season.

I'm predicting they improve from 29th to around 25th.

Season 2023/24 is another story...this is when the team turns the Magic on !!!!  Many, many years of many, many wins then.

I think Isaac might be on a minutes count, but I don’t see Markelle, with playing half a year and having the entire offseason, being on a limited count. 

I think we go for development / winning this year. No dropping intentional losses. I think we get to the bubble or just outside. Should be a fun year. 

18 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Hoop Intellect does a very good job breaking down prospects both positive and negative. 

I’ve watched their videos on all of the top prospects. Here is the video they released on Sharpe. 

Its not as in depth as their normal videos, but understandably, because Sharpe doesn’t have nearly as much tape. 

Good post Dan …comps he lists are Anthony Edwards, Paul George, JR Smith …I don’t know how any Magic fan can watch that and not salivate …none on the others have comps to this level .

Words like “DOG” and “GYM RAT” …sure bodes well for future development …Weltham …don’t be the guy who passes up and regrets it down the road …just sayin’

30 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think Isaac might be on a minutes count, but I don’t see Markelle, with playing half a year and having the entire offseason, being on a limited count. 

I think we go for development / winning this year. No dropping intentional losses. I think we get to the bubble or just outside. Should be a fun year. 

Wins needed to make the bubble in the EC last season.....43....that is a big jump from 22. Will be a super fun year nonetheless.

How much draft compensation do you realistically think can be obtain for both our seconds and either Cole or Ross? 

Wish NBA had a draft pick trade chart like the NFL  

3 hours ago, Nyce_1 said:

I watched this last night and enjoyed the talk. I learned a few things. Skip to 15:15 for Magic specific talk (short). 

If you don't feel like watching, the former OKC scout says:

- all signs pointing to Jabari going #1

- Paolo is a darkhorse for #1 pick. we really like him.

- best skills = Paolo; analytics darling = Chet; best developmental project = Jabari

- Ivey has Kobe-like mentality and Det has been gunning for him. 

- if OKC trades back, it'll be for Ivey

Anybody....when are the nba prospects going to schedule and start working out for the teams....any idea?