CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 1/24/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jason Funderburker said:

I don’t think at this point we should be focused on what works next to Isaac. Whatever he is able to contribute whenever he is back on the court is a plus, but at this point he can’t be counted on as a long term starter. I think Smith is probably the best pick, but we will have to pick first

Based on track record we should look at Isaac as a bonus whenever he can play, but NEVER plan a team around him. I thought he would be injury prone, and he is very much so. 

7 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Great find. This definitely carries weight to those of us who think well of advanced stats. 

Zion still had (and has) so much upside as a unique, explosive big man not seen since maybe Charles Barkley (but with more explosiveness). 

Many of us did point out, however, that that kind of explosiveness with that kind of weight doesn't bode well for the health of the knees and back. It's one of the thing that has made LeBron's success so incredible - the explosiveness mixed with his size that doesn't break down. 

Zion is interesting because he's a generational talent in terms of skills and abilities but he's got that later career Shaq level of not giving a damn about his weight which is a real problem for his health.  

I agree with Soul that you can easily say Morant is the better pick now but I still think you're taking Zion 100 times out of 100 at the time of the draft. 

Okay... can we talk about how toxic the Philly culture has to be? Ben Simmons is a little bit of a diva, obviously...but he wants nothing to do with a team that is consistently fighting for top 3 in the East. We got Fultz for cheap and even though he's been injured, I think its fair to say that he's been more productive for us than he ever was in Philly. Something has to be off in that culture for some players to just shut down who obviously have skill. 

5 hours ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Okay... can we talk about how toxic the Philly culture has to be? Ben Simmons is a little bit of a diva, obviously...but he wants nothing to do with a team that is consistently fighting for top 3 in the East. We got Fultz for cheap and even though he's been injured, I think its fair to say that he's been more productive for us than he ever was in Philly. Something has to be off in that culture for some players to just shut down who obviously have skill. 

For all the talk of Elton Brand being this stand up guy, he has been the front office main man for a while now and I will never forget him promising to team up with prime Baron Davis, waiting for him to sign up with LAC and then burning them for the 76ers money... which he didn't exactly live up to either. I wonder how much of him and 76ers ownership are of that mentality to screw people.

And Morey can be a dick too, with his counterparts in other organisations anyway,  but this was a problem before then.

This young fella looks like he’s the best in the class AND fits a huge need on our team…

1. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)

“The Orlando Magic could enter next season focused on building around Jalen Suggs, Cole Anthony, Franz Wagner and Jabari Smith.

For the Magic, Smith's shooting and defense can give him an edge over Paolo Banchero. And at 18 years old with an easier-to-project body, Smith may look preferable over Holmgren, who's 195 pounds and turns 20 in May. 

The Auburn freshman added another impact performance to his resume over the weekend with 23 points and 12 boards against Oklahoma. The threes and isolation moves into dribble jumpers continue to be persuasive for a 6'10" freshman at his age and floor. 

Hitting 40.4 percent of his threes and 41.9 percent on pull-ups while averaging over a steal and block per game, Smith is the best player on the nation's No. 1 team with a skill set and strengths that the NBA values.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952806-2022-nba-mock-draft-a-shakeup-at-no-1-plus-full-1st-round-projections

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

This young fella looks like he’s the best in the class AND fits a huge need on our team…

1. Orlando Magic: Jabari Smith (Auburn, PF, Freshman)

“The Orlando Magic could enter next season focused on building around Jalen Suggs, Cole Anthony, Franz Wagner and Jabari Smith.

For the Magic, Smith's shooting and defense can give him an edge over Paolo Banchero. And at 18 years old with an easier-to-project body, Smith may look preferable over Holmgren, who's 195 pounds and turns 20 in May. 

The Auburn freshman added another impact performance to his resume over the weekend with 23 points and 12 boards against Oklahoma. The threes and isolation moves into dribble jumpers continue to be persuasive for a 6'10" freshman at his age and floor. 

Hitting 40.4 percent of his threes and 41.9 percent on pull-ups while averaging over a steal and block per game, Smith is the best player on the nation's No. 1 team with a skill set and strengths that the NBA values.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952806-2022-nba-mock-draft-a-shakeup-at-no-1-plus-full-1st-round-projections

I've been on this train for a while. The guy in many ways reminds me of a young Kevin Durant, and if not THAT agile of a scorer, has the touch to become an incredible offensive (and defensive) weapon. I think Jabri next season with all other players taking a step forward makes us a play-in playoff team. 

15 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I've been on this train for a while. The guy in many ways reminds me of a young Kevin Durant, and if not THAT agile of a scorer, has the touch to become an incredible offensive (and defensive) weapon. I think Jabri next season with all other players taking a step forward makes us a play-in playoff team. 

I struggle to see Durant with Jabari. But he has the potential to be an all time great shooter for his position, he's 18 and he's 6'10 and plays defense so he's worth consideration at #1 for that alone. 

16 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

The dream is we get Jabari this draft and then swing a miracle and get Wemby next draft and then presumably  we never lose again

Haha

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I struggle to see Durant with Jabari. But he has the potential to be an all time great shooter for his position, he's 18 and he's 6'10 and plays defense so he's worth consideration at #1 for that alone. 

I see a more muscular Sweet Lew… meaning Rashard Lewis. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I see a more muscular Sweet Lew… meaning Rashard Lewis. 

Right now he is a better version than Tim Thomas :)