CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

On 5/22/2022 at 1:35 PM, Soul Bro said:

I’ll bite. First, Tatum and Banchero are totally different players at different positions. Just because both produced at Duke doesn’t mean their games or bodies are alike. Second, Banchero… because of his body and lack of athleticism… is seen as having a lower ceiling than Smith and Holmgren. He’s seen as the produce now guy in this draft. Third, Banchero needs the ball in his hand to maximize his game… the other two do not. His outside shot, according to multiple sources, is flat. Smith and Holmgren impact the game massively even without the ball because both are great two way players. (OMD had a recent article attesting to Smith’s advanced stats and impact). Fourth, yes, I believe Banchero is an immediate producer as a rookie, but WeltHam have said they’re taking the long view 5-7+ year approach. Thus, if I’m taking BPA for the long haul, I think it’s Smith, Holmgren and even Sharpe in the conversation. That’s my take.

What do you mean Paolo is not athletic? The scout says good athlete: Strengths: 6’10 forward … Good length with a 7’0.5 wingspan … Good strength and physical profile. Great mobility and very well coordinated … Good athlete, elevates well at the rim with good timing and body control that translates well in games …

Paolo and Ivey are the only players in the draft that have the bag for 1st pick and offensive center peice of a team.

I agree. Paolo needs the ball and I would give it to him. Teams normally build around the 1st overall pick. Paolo is that building block. Everyone else would need to fit in around him or be moved.

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Joel Glass said in no short words that Suggs would not work out for the Magic. He only worked out for the first 4 teams. This is a fact. Be careful of the workouts. I feel like our front office will select the player that seems like a kid who is hungry. After all, they are all so close to each other in skill and projections.

Source? Link?

Edit - Nevermind. I was reading this figuratively not literally. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Source? Link?

Soul …he’s said it twice now he heard it on the radio …absolutely happened …think he’d make it up ?

1 hour ago, LaVar said:

What do you mean Paolo is not athletic? The scout says good athlete: Strengths: 6’10 forward … Good length with a 7’0.5 wingspan … Good strength and physical profile. Great mobility and very well coordinated … Good athlete, elevates well at the rim with good timing and body control that translates well in games …

Paolo and Ivey are the only players in the draft that have the bag for 1st pick and offensive center peice of a team.

I agree. Paolo needs the ball and I would give it to him. Teams normally build around the 1st overall pick. Paolo is that building block. Everyone else would need to fit in around him or be moved.

I’m not sure if you’re quoting someone else or these are your thoughts, but Paulo is widely considered the least athletic of the three big guys. I’m not saying he can’t get a bucket, but he’s comped with Randle and Webber… a below the basket playmaking big. Moreover, if Paulo needs the ball, it pretty much means Fultz’s time in Orlando is over. Fultz’s best attributes are setting up others and getting into the paint, which would become underutilized with Paulo. 

8 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Ok when I attend the Magic draft party I’ll speak to Joel Glass personally and definitely let you know lol 

Lol. Look at my edit to my original ask for a link. I consequently deleted my follow up explanation. I need to go to bed. Ha!

19 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I’m not sure if you’re quoting someone else or these are your thoughts, but Paulo is widely considered the least athletic of the three big guys. I’m not saying he can’t get a bucket, but he’s comped with Randle and Webber… a below the basket playmaking big. Moreover, if Paulo needs the ball, it pretty much means Fultz’s time in Orlando is over. Fultz’s best attributes are setting up others and getting into the paint, which would become underutilized with Paulo. 

The quote was from nbadraft.net.

Athletic is more than jumping hang time. What scouts are calling paolo not athletic? Power, speed, and quickness matter as an athlete.

John Hollinger has apparently suggested we could be letting everyone assume we want Chet to try and get the Thunder to trade for the pick. 

That could be a shrewd move, and I'm sure it would please a lot of people on this board. My only concern is Sam Presti has a pretty good track record with draft picks, it'd suck to see Chet go on to be a great player even if we drafted a good one ourselves. The Hawks ended up with Trae Young but they could have had Luka.