CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

9 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Here you go CT

It's difficult to parse how much of that post is quoted as from a Magic executive Vs the posters opinion. 

21 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I’m in the exact same camp. It feels like Chet is the “long term project” Weltman is referring to in recent interviews. I’m going to trust the senior leadership will make the right call, but would prefer Smith just off everything I know. 

With that being said, I’ve been spot on with our top picks when we’ve had a top 3 the last two times, loudly wanting Dwight Howard (when a lot of y’all wanted Okafor) and Victor Oladipo (whom would have been the best player in his class if not for those injuries).

I’m going to be disappointed if we don’t choose smith, but will trust they have researched Chet enough to believe he’ll go for the fences. I just think Smith fits in from a personality (humble, hard working, lead by example) and play (shooter, long defender who can switch) standpoint. We shall see! 

Are we including Giannis or is he disqualified for being such an unknown prospect?

23 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Are we including Giannis or is he disqualified for being such an unknown prospect?

For most on this board, the conversation was between Victor Oladipo, Ben McLemore, Nerlens Noel, and Otto Porter Jr. No one knew who Giannis was going to be. 

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I will be happy if they pick Jabari. Seriously many times all these guys have talent, it's just which player wants to be great. Paolo and Chet kind of give me that spoiled always been better then the competition vibe. Many times it is the kid from the smaller school that works harder and therefore becomes better. That sounds like Jabari Smith.

Just don't tell me Jabari is the BPA pick. He is the safest pick. Chet,Paolo and a few other players have possibly more upside.

And about the Ryan Anderson comps, if i could find the post i would link it. I'm not the stat geek some fans are but this post had about 15 players that came out of one year in college shooting like Jabari does. Some were very good players, but really none were stars. For a simple reason, for which i will use Durant to explain.

Someone on the Magics forum was trying to compare the two. Which is laughable. Not even close to the same players. Both tall, deadly shooters. Durant in College had a higher usage rate and an inside out game. Averaged way more points and rebounds because half of his scoring came on post moves even though he was an excellent shooter. Durant barely had any assists because he scored so much and could create a good shot almost always. He was a kid you gave the ball to and let him create. Even in college. Same with Tatum.

Same with Paolo,Chet, and a few other players in this draft. Jabari does get off his own shot and is good in transition because, you guessed it, he is bigger and faster then you would think. In college. Just watched a few videos again, in a half court setting he mostly is a one move and rise up and shoot player. Great stuff, his stroke is so smooth! Guys, it's that size and speed that will make him a number one player possibly. That's what makes him amazing! But he doesn't create. The true stars in this league create shots. Just saying. It's just that simple.

Even though he is one of the best shooters in this draft he won't be it's best player, unless he is as fast and big as he looks against college players. If he becomes a transition beast and keeps that 3 point shot...look out! He won't be a half court leading scorer unless he is in the perfect situation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  To me Smith is the BPA.  I think if all breaks right he does have the highest upside of the bunch.  I think he is closer to Durant than Ryan Anderson though not the same.  He is like Rashard Lewis at 24 years old at 19 years old.  He is the youngest of the top three guys as well.  Like you though I wouldn’t hate either of the other two.  Great time to be a Magic Fan!

Lol …I’m waiting on the player workouts and interviews for the team …that’s gonna be the be all end all …that will decide the direction our GM is gonna take 

50 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Lol …I’m waiting on the player workouts and interviews for the team …that’s gonna be the be all end all …that will decide the direction our GM is gonna take 

And that is how you elicit offers from another GM who is set on a specific player in the top three.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

And that is how you elicit offers from another GM who is set on a specific player in the top three.

Absolutely right my very good friend JM !!!!

I like Chet's game, I just don't think he will be durable. When he hits the floor, it's bones hitting the floor. The guy has no padding at all. I weigh exactly the same as Chet at 6 foot tall, and I played basketball for over 40 years. I hit the deck A LOT. I just can't imagine him being able to stand up to much larger and stronger guys barreling into his chest repeatedly. That pile of skin and bones is going down hard and often. As Doc JJZFL said, he's too big a risk. IMO he will injured as often or more than JI.

Give me ANY of the other top guys and I'll be very happy!

• Like 1

Joel Glass said in no short words that Suggs would not work out for the Magic. He only worked out for the first 4 teams. This is a fact. Be careful of the workouts. I feel like our front office will select the player that seems like a kid who is hungry. After all, they are all so close to each other in skill and projections.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Sharpe getting a little love (insert smiley face) …only because I thought he’d get none like on this site 

I’m doing a lot of reading on message boards, Facebook, etc. I feel like the predominant amount of magic fans want to see Jabari Smith, so it’s peculiar to me that this content coming directly from the Orlando Magic Twitter emphasizes Chet. 

Could this be some sort of added misdirection by the front office? It just seems strange that there was hardly mention of him, but I might just be reading into a very small sample size of drunk people.

13 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I’m doing a lot of reading on message boards, Facebook, etc. I feel like the predominant amount of magic fans want to see Jabari Smith, so it’s peculiar to me that this content coming directly from the Orlando Magic Twitter emphasizes Chet. 

Could this be some sort of added misdirection by the front office? It just seems strange that there was hardly mention of him, but I might just be reading into a very small sample size of drunk people.

Trey …don’t take this personal or anybody else for that matter …but Magic fans as a whole are not knowledgeable of bb …I’ve been going to games since the Magics inception …I’ll never forget at the beginning I’d be going to games it’d be like a tie score with 3 minutes to go …all of a sudden there was like this wild rush to the exits …I was like what the Hell is going on ?!?! …This happened every game …sure you know why …Then the year we got the top pick and we already had Shaq …Everyone and I mean like everyone wanted Chris Webber …I kept analyzing it and I was like how can those two play together since they occupy the same spot on the floor ???

Chris Webber was who they saw on TV every week …familiarity guided opinions .