CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

5 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

One of the craziest things to me is that we haven’t moved up in a draft in over a two decades. We got the #1 pick with Dwight with the worst record. We got the #2 pick with Oladipo when we had the worst record. We haven’t been inside the top 3 since, always falling out of the top 3 but we never moving up. 

Hoping against hope the trend doesn't continue tonight. 

50-50 chance.  That’s the game you play with this thing.  

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

50-50 chance.  That’s the game you play with this thing.  

Sure - but how many times have we been a bottom 3 team and gotten the #4 or #5 pick? I look at last year as a prime example. 3rd worst record and got the 5th pick. 

If this were 50/50, you would figure we’d stay in the top 3 at some point and not consistently drop out. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's 2022 and we're still getting excited by these no competition workout videos. And not particularly impressive ones. 

Look, people are going to see what they want to see. This fan base has been desperate for a conventional guard creator for years even when we had Dwight so I'm not surprised we lose our minds every time a guy does a hesi pull up. 

But when I watch that video I see a handle that's slow, unexplosive and incredibly high and otherwise it's just a guy dunking and shooting at an empty rim. Terrence Ross would look like the greatest player of all time in a video like this. 

Ok CT I’ll bite …first off it’s Jonathan Givony …dude has to be objective in his job or he won’t have it very long …if Givony is telling me his ceiling is high then more often than not he’s right …he certainly knows more and sees more than you or I or anybody else …Givony says he saw Sharpe practicing at UK live full court 5 on 5 and was amazed at how his game worked well with others and he made others better …could facilitate when necessary …look at the shooting vid posted above …he made like 12 or more corner 3’s in row …and you can tell because the vid didn’t pause …in front of countless NBA GM’s …kid is 18 years old …you don’t think that’s pressure ??? …I’d like to see T Ross do that when he was 18 …kid has the highest ceiling in the draft …we’ve sucked since Dwight left …can’t get any stars to play here anymore …why not shoot for the stars ??? …What have we got to lose except all the losing we’ve been doing for 10 plus years ?

• Upvote 2

My ideal off-season would be: 

Draft: Jabari Smith 

Bamba, and Bol walk. 
Resign Harris, Iggy and Robin 

Trade Cole Anthony, Chuma Okeke, T-Ross, 2023 unprotected first and 2023 Bulls pick to Utah for Donovan Mitchell. 

Gives us a lineup of:

PG: Fultz/Suggs/RJ 

SG:Mitchell/Harris/RJ

SF: Franz/JI/Iggy 

PF: Jabari/JI/2nd Round pick 

C: Wendell/ Robin/ Mo Wagner 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Ok CT I’ll bite …first off it’s Jonathan Givony …dude has to be objective in his job or he won’t have it very long …if Givony is telling me his ceiling is high then more often than not he’s right …he certainly knows more and sees more than you or I or anybody else …Givony says he saw Sharpe practicing at UK live full court 5 on 5 and was amazed at how his game worked well with others and he made others better …could facilitate when necessary …look at the shooting vid posted above …he made like 12 or more corner 3’s in row …and you can tell because the vid didn’t pause …in front of countless NBA GM’s …kid is 18 years old …you don’t think that’s pressure ??? …I’d like to see T Ross do that when he was 18 …kid has the highest ceiling in the draft …we’ve sucked since Dwight left …can’t get any stars to play here anymore …why not shoot for the stars ??? …What have we got to lose except all the losing we’ve been doing for 10 plus years ?

Draft guys like Givony actively gas up prospects around draft time because if they don't they'd get denied access from the private workouts and interviews and that's what does numbers for them. 

Have you legitimately ever heard anybody say "this guy had a bad private workout while I was there"? Because I haven't. Literally every prospect is awesome in workouts. 

High potential doesn't equate to high outcomes. Gerald Green had high potential. 

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Draft guys like Givony actively gas up prospects around draft time because if they don't they'd get denied access from the private workouts and interviews and that's what does numbers for them. 

Have you legitimately ever heard anybody say "this guy had a bad private workout while I was there"? Because I haven't. Literally every prospect is awesome in workouts. 

High potential doesn't equate to high outcomes. Gerald Green had high potential. 

Sharpe was rated number 1 player in his class before Givony came into the picture …I’m not gonna get into gassing up prospects cause I nor you knows what goes on behind the scenes …Dwight Howard had potential too …and he never even practiced with a D1 college before being drafted either …UK kids are undervalued frequently …Hope we don’t get bit again .

Who and or what would you like to see the team do for the draft ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I think all of this is fair. Sharpe is a total gamble. Unfortunately for us, the known commodities in this draft are not exactly exciting commodities.

I think that depends on your definition of exciting.

I understand why this fanbase in particular isn't high on Chet, but i believe if Chet looked like literally anybody else he'd be the consensus #1 pick. But there's a great deal of aesthetic bias at play, not only because of his weight but because he's a nerdy looking gangly kid, he doesn't look like a successful NBA player so people discount the fact that literally everything he's ever done seems to indicate he will be a successful NBA player. 

Paolo Banchero has a play style that has lead to some unflattering comps but he creates legitimate advantages on offense, he's an underrated passer, he's a terrific midrange shooter with a variety of post moves, he can handle the ball he's a fluid athlete. He could be a huge piece of our offense if we drafted him. 

Jabari Smith, I've spoken a lot about how I think he's the safest prospect with potentially the lowest ceiling but I don't think it's unreasonable to say it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he had similar impact to Mikal Bridges (while being 6'10 and like 4 years younger than Mikal was when they were both drafted) and the Suns gave Bridges a $90m extension. 

With Sharpe the old family guy mystery box comes to mind.

The older I get the more draft cycles I watch I think the key to not being disappointed by a draft pick is to be honest with yourself about who the player is you're drafting and not to ascribe them the characteristics of the player you hope they'll be. It's hard to do that with Sharpe because he's never played competitively at a high enough level. 

19 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Sharpe was rated number 1 player in his class before Givony came into the picture …I’m not gonna get into gassing up prospects cause I nor you knows what goes on behind the scenes …Dwight Howard had potential too …and he never even practiced with a D1 college before being drafted either …UK kids are undervalued frequently …Hope we don’t get bit again .

Who and or what would you like to see the team do for the draft ?

Shabazz Muhammad, Jahlil Okafor, Cole Anthony, Austin Rivers, Skal Labissiere were all #1 ranked high school guys too. 

Kentucky guys are sometimes misjudged because of the limitations of the system Cal plays. We never saw Sharpe in that system so we can't give him the same consideration. Calling him a "UK kid" and trying to group him in with a bunch of guys who all played a complete season of college basketball is disingenuous.

Look, I'm not saying Sharpe won't be good. I'm just saying those videos don't give me any confidence he will be.

I think I've made it pretty clear who I'd draft in my posts.

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

One of the craziest things to me is that we haven’t moved up in a draft in over a two decades. We got the #1 pick with Dwight with the worst record. We got the #2 pick with Oladipo when we had the worst record. We haven’t been inside the top 3 since, always falling out of the top 3 but we never moving up. 

Hoping against hope the trend doesn't continue tonight. 

I honestly hope we get #2, and whoever gets #1 takes Chet off the table before we have a chance to make that mistake. I'm fine with anybody 1-6 except Chet the stick boy.

0-(---<

By the way, in case nobody noticed, Walker Kessler at 7'1" 245 LBS has 6.4 bocks a game. That's a full 1.5 more than Chet the stick boy.

12 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I honestly hope we get #2, and whoever gets #1 takes Chet off the table before we have a chance to make that mistake. I'm fine with anybody 1-6 except Chet the stick boy.

0-(---<

By the way, in case nobody noticed, Walker Kessler at 7'1" 245 LBS has 6.4 bocks a game. That's a full 1.5 more than Chet the stick boy.

Walker Kessler blocks more shots. Chet is a better shooter, finisher, passer, ball handler, rebounder, ball screen defender and he's 8 months younger. In case nobody noticed.