CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

5 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Here's something very interesting for multiple reasons and should create at least some discussion …especially on this day lol …listen to this 3 minute movie clip and then answer this question …

How much influence do or does team message boards and chat rooms have on GM’s decision making ? Is it relevant at all ? Do you think they read it and check them ?

A good GM? It should be absolutely zero. If I found out Jeff Weltman cared about my opinion enough for it to sway him in any way id be furious, dude gets paid millions and has a staff of experts who get paid a lot of money also, trust their opinions don't listen to randoms on the internet. These decisions shouldn't be sentimental or bias in any way. (Fwiw I doubt Weltman even knows this board exists) Look at Masai, he knew everyone would be shocked he didn't take Suggs but he took Barnes anyway and it worked out for him. 

6 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

If we like Sharpe, my answer is, “Absolutely.” Suggs proved very little this year, and we need to go BPA, regardless of position. (And this is coming from a guy who loved Suggs coming out). We have a long way to go in our rebuild… especially on offense.

I 100% agree with this. I would take Sharpe easily with our pick. I just worry that they might think we are guard heavy at the moment. I hope I’m wrong 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

I think the draft years of this Front Office NOT using the 2nd round picks are over....appears that during those years of Markelle, Fournier, Gordon JI, Vuc, their main focus was on the first rounders. Drafts on which they did good....for example, Chuma with the 16th pick and Cole with the15 were and are both solid additions. If Chuma and Cole's draft were RE-DRAFTED today, both are probably top 10 picks or higher.

I expect the Front Office to USE the 2 second round picks on this draft.....and expect 2 more players that...we'll see who they are before saying what they bring to the team.

I think it's more likely that we try to trade the two 2nds for a late first, maybe with a team that has salary cap issues already. It would give those teams two shots at non-guaranteed players that they may be able to slide into their roster cheaper than a guaranteed first. There are a lot of teams already "locked in" to being over the cap/luxury tax who may want to trade out of a late 1st for that reason. These teams are already over the regular cap before any summer activity:

#17 Houston (signing a top-5 puts them over the cap)

#19 Minnesota (already over the cap)

#21 Denver (already over the luxury cap line)

#23 Brooklyn (already over the luxury cap line)

#24 Milwaukee (already over the luxury cap line)

#26 Dallas (already over the luxury cap line)

#27 Miami (already over the cap)

#28 Golden State (already over the luxury cap line)

Locking in a good player for the (relatively) cheap, guaranteed contract that goes with a late first rounder might be preferable to some of these teams rather than trying to sign cheap free agents. I don't expect that Houston, Minnesota, or Miami would trade their late 1st, as they aren't pushing the luxury tax issue too badly at the moment. For them, locking in a late first might be preferable. Denver, Milwaukee, Dallas, or Golden State may be the most likely to go for that kind of move for current roster reasons. Brooklyn is probably not, since their issues are more injury/continuity based; but who knows - the first round exit may prompt them to make some major changes. 

I think we go that route only if there is a player we are really high on. I can also see the F.O. holding onto our 2nd round picks for two bites at the apple to find someone who may have slipped out of the first round. At #32 and #35 that isn't really a stretch. You may also see a trade after the fact for "draft rights" once the guys are already picked. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think it's more likely that we try to trade the two 2nds for a late first, maybe with a team that has salary cap issues already. It would give those teams two shots at non-guaranteed players that they may be able to slide into their roster cheaper than a guaranteed first. There are a lot of teams already "locked in" to being over the cap/luxury tax who may want to trade out of a late 1st for that reason. These teams are already over the regular cap before any summer activity:

Locking in a good player for the (relatively) cheap, guaranteed contract that goes with a late first rounder might be preferable to some of these teams rather than trying to sign cheap free agents. I don't expect that Houston, Minnesota, or Miami would trade their late 1st, as they aren't pushing the luxury tax issue too badly at the moment. For them, locking in a late first might be preferable. Denver, Milwaukee, Dallas, or Golden State may be the most likely to go for that kind of move for current roster reasons. Brooklyn is probably not, since their issues are more injury/continuity based; but who knows - the first round exit may prompt them to make some major changes. 

I think we go that route only if there is a player we are really high on. I can also see the F.O. holding onto our 2nd round picks for two bites at the apple to find someone who may have slipped out of the first round. At #32 and #35 that isn't really a stretch. You may also see a trade after the fact for "draft rights" once the guys are already picked. 

I love the analysis. I'd love to get us into a #23 pick for 2 high 2nd round pick. Would work well for both parties. You know the Nets are worried about how excessive their tax burden is and they'd rather get vets at the price of a First Round Pick. 

10 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think you'll struggle to get a pick in the low 20s with 2 seconds. Probably have to offer some heavily protected future 1st instead of one of the 2nds. I do think picks #27 and #28 are in that territory of doable with our 2 2nds though. 

It depends how the board falls really. If you have a guy graded as like top 20, possible valuable role player in the future for example and he makes it to #26 you definitely start calling all those teams and seeing if they're interested. But it'll depend who's on the board, I'm a big fan of doing this too for the right guy but if I know anything about this front office it's that they're not going to make a move for the sake of it. 

15 hours ago, ball junkie said:

He played 1 year at UCLA and was going on 21 when he got drafted fwiw …thanks for the clarification CT

To be clear the point is that Shabazz Muhammad was a "generational talent" (actual quote from a HS ranking website) in high school and probably would have been drafted a lot higher had he been able to not play in college. He had 1 incredibly underwhelming year at UCLA and then the news leaked that he was actually 21 and I think he was lucky to get picked at 14. 

Sharpe is not without question marks. The obvious question marks about how his game translates to playing college or pro athletes and there's also a lot of weird stuff in his timeline around graduating high school,  joining Kentucky and leaving without playing that I'd want the front office to be very comfortable with before we drafted him. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear the point is that Shabazz Muhammad was a "generational talent" (actual quote from a HS ranking website) in high school and probably would have been drafted a lot higher had he been able to not play in college. He had 1 incredibly underwhelming year at UCLA and then the news leaked that he was actually 21 and I think he was lucky to get picked at 14. 

Sharpe is not without question marks. The obvious question marks about how his game translates to playing college or pro athletes and there's also a lot of weird stuff in his timeline around graduating high school,  joining Kentucky and leaving without playing that I'd want the front office to be very comfortable with before we drafted him. 

The only thing comparable between the two is being ranked number 1 in HS …that’s it …you mentioned Shabazz age being 21 …Sharpe is still freakin 18 years old …won’t be 19 until May 30 …I checked …which means he barely meets the draft age requirement of being 19 before the actual draft itself …my assumption is that of all the kids ranked number 1 in HS some of them pan out …some of them don’t …clearly Sharpe has NBA athleticism right now at his age …and based on skill level the top draft expert on the planet (Givony) says he does too …I’ll never understand why he didn’t play at Kentucky …Kyle Tucker a UK beat writer and whom Calipari trusts came out with a story blaming Sharpe’s mentor/agent …saying Shaedon wanted to play and his parents were on board with it but the mentor shut it down …but UK fans are extremely butthurt about the how it played out …the graduation date is not an issue anymore as the NBA on Wednesday approved his entry status into the league …I’ll leave you with this small interview with Dee Mintz …a 5th year senior teammate who practiced with Sharpe:

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

The only thing comparable between the two is being ranked number 1 in HS …that’s it …you mentioned Shabazz age being 21 …Sharpe is still freakin 18 years old …won’t be 19 until May 30 …I checked …which means he barely meets the draft age requirement of being 19 before the actual draft itself …my assumption is that of all the kids ranked number 1 in HS some of them pan out …some of them don’t …clearly Sharpe has NBA athleticism right now at his age …and based on skill level the top draft expert on the planet (Givony) says he does too …I’ll never understand why he didn’t play at Kentucky …Kyle Tucker a UK beat writer and whom Calipari trusts came out with a story blaming Sharpe’s mentor/agent …saying Shaedon wanted to play and his parents were on board with it but the mentor shut it down …but UK fans are extremely butthurt about the how it played out …the graduation date is not an issue anymore as the NBA on Wednesday approved his entry status into the league …I’ll leave you with this small interview with Dee Mintz …a 5th year senior teammate who practiced with Sharpe:

Just because the graduation date and the Kentucky stuff isn't an issue in terms of meeting the NBA requirements doesn't mean it's not a potential issue in terms of evaluating him as a prospect, the kind of person or team mate he is and the types of people he's got around him. We can't possible evaluate all that stuff properly but front offices can and will and if the FO feel comfortable with it I'm not going to worry about it but I'm also not going to pretend that stuff isn't there. 

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just because the graduation date and the Kentucky stuff isn't an issue in terms of meeting the NBA requirements doesn't mean it's not a potential issue in terms of evaluating him as a prospect, the kind of person or team mate he is and the types of people he's got around him. We can't possible evaluate all that stuff properly but front offices can and will and if the FO feel comfortable with it I'm not going to worry about it but I'm also not going to pretend that stuff isn't there. 

Yeah that’s a given …here’s the link to the article …lotta details …was very interesting …think it costs like a dollar but some people have those like wall busters lol for the pay sites 

https://theathletic.com/3264077/2022/04/21/the-shaedon-sharpe-circus-leaves-kentucky-with-not-much-to-show-for-it-but-anger-and-confusion/

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah that’s a given …here’s the link to the article …lotta details …was very interesting …think it costs like a dollar but some people have those like wall busters lol for the pay sites 

https://theathletic.com/3264077/2022/04/21/the-shaedon-sharpe-circus-leaves-kentucky-with-not-much-to-show-for-it-but-anger-and-confusion/

I think your missing the analogy i was trying to make.

1) Yes i remember the whole howard okafor thing. I wanted a sure thing also, plus mcgrady wanted a sure thing not an unknown. His first 5 seasons in the NBA statistics wise were average as good as dwight (though dwight starts to rocket up while he trends down after that) and if he had Played with Mcgrady who knows. BUT Dwight had very clear promise - as does sharpe

2) The analogy was shabazz had he gone in the NBA draft without going to college would have been looking like a surefire cant miss top 5 pick AS DOES SHARPE. Shabazz playing against college players and then the additional information that he was 2 years older showed his develpoment was a natural progression and not a "What kind of more develpoment will he have over the next 2-3 years" Add to that his underwhelming showcase against college level players and voila you have his career trajectory.

3) I'M NOT SAYING SHARPER DOESNT LOOK READY -Far from it his body does look to have developed and looks ready to play against 20-30 year old players. His skills do look good, but he looks like an allstar against 15-18 year olds. Playing one year of college and dropping 20+ points a game would have solidifed everything and probably would have made him a consensus #1 pick earning him a guarranteed almost 40 million whether or not he pans out. Getting picked 6th he will net 20 million over 4 years. BUT possible injury derailing my career or a locked in 20mil i might do that to.

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1LyxBornXwEKN?s=20
So I’m listening to this mock draft podcast by 2 writers from Orlando Magic Daily …they both say they think the Magic need a go to scorer …somebody with star power…is their biggest need  …somebody that when the game is on the line can go and get you a bucket.

Question was then posed if the Magic get the first pick who would they pick and who do they think Weltham would pick …they both think Weltham is in love with Holmgren and would pick him first …but in terms of star power they thought Banchero and Sharpe had the most star power of anyone in the draft …they both agreed they would take Banchero and said if people thought his game was similar to Wendell Carter they said that is not true and that they thought the two of them could play together.

52 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1LyxBornXwEKN?s=20
So I’m listening to this mock draft podcast by 2 writers from Orlando Magic Daily …they both say they think the Magic need a go to scorer …somebody with star power…is their biggest need  …somebody that when the game is on the line can go and get you a bucket.

Question was then posed if the Magic get the first pick who would they pick and who do they think Weltham would pick …they both think Weltham is in love with Holmgren and would pick him first …but in terms of star power they thought Banchero and Sharpe had the most star power of anyone in the draft …they both agreed they would take Banchero and said if people thought his game was similar to Wendell Carter they said that is not true and that they thought the two of them could play together.

I just can't see Chet being able to survive playing any more than JI can. He doesn't have an NBA body and doesn't have the frame to add more than 10-15 pounds. Big strong guys are just gonna run him over. I'm hoping if we get #1, we can get a great haul from someone that really wants him and still get a low pick to grab a couple of the great shooters.

• Upvote 1