CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

18 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Do you know the last time JI played in a game? August 2, 2020… about 21 months ago. He’s now missed the last two NBA seasons. I’m not sure we’ll ever see him play again, and I surely wouldn’t consider him a factor in our draft plans. Even Fultz’s injury should give us pause on saying our point guard position is covered, and I really like Fultz. Thus, I think we need to aim for best player available regardless of who we have on our roster. 

100%
in our situation we draft BPA and figure out the rest. I don’t consider Isaac as part of this roster at the moment, I have zero reason to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep, we have a lack of talent all over. You take the best player available and figure out who is worth keeping and who isn't once the fo are ready to stop aiming for lottery picks. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

100%
in our situation we draft BPA and figure out the rest. I don’t consider Isaac as part of this roster at the moment, I have zero reason to.

JI will be brought back slowly, might not even start....and Markelle will also continue his comeback gradually. Should be the starter though.

4 hours ago, crisby pancakes said:

Yep, we have a lack of talent all over. You take the best player available and figure out who is worth keeping and who isn't once the fo are ready to stop aiming for lottery picks. 

For this Front Office it doesn't and it does matter which players they draft this year. 

----> "Doesn't matter" because:

They are STILL developing the young core....and the core is going to get even more younger very soon.

They know they are a HIGH LOTTERY TEAM this year and this draft won't change the situation significantly. They want to be the same HIGH LOTTERY TEAM next year.

They know that the 2023 draft is FULL OF TALENT. They know they have the Bull's 1st and the Magic's 1st.

They know that PROBABLY, this and next year's draft are the LAST two chances to get high draft picks.

They know they are STILL in the middle of re-building the team for the 2025/30 run. 

-----> It matters because:

They know they have to do the BEST they can to add another one or two players with talent and potential to be stars / very good players for this team.

They know that the STAR OR SUPERSTAR player of this team has to be drafted and developed in-house. 

They know that adding a STAR FREE AGENT is almost impossible at this stage of the re-build. These star players prefer to stay with their teams or sign with teams that have other stars.

Nevertheless the conversation of who "we" pick is fun to have. Draft Lottery Day is Tuesday May 17. Go Magic !!!!

I think this is the draft where we should make a move back into the first. We have the assets with 2 high 2nds. There are going to be some interesting guys in the late first some of whom had bad seasons but (if they declare) still have a lot to offer as pros in better situations. Guys like: 

Patrick Baldwin Jr

Jaden Hardy

Peyton Watson

Caleb Houstan

Maybe someone like Ousman Dieng, Jean Montero or Nikola Jovic depending how their pre draft goes. 

To be honest though I just want us to use one of our 2nds if not. Great rebuilds are buoyed by finding guys later in the draft. Look at Memphis right now Desmond Bane was the 30th pick, they've also used later picks on Tillman, Aldama, Tillie and Brandon Clarke. None of those guys have been big players this season but they're getting development minutes and if any of them step up into a real rotation player that's just a bonus. These picks are low risk, nobody cares if the 34th pick isn't a great player, but if they hit they can make your whole rebuild. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think this is the draft where we should make a move back into the first. We have the assets with 2 high 2nds. There are going to be some interesting guys in the late first some of whom had bad seasons but (if they declare) still have a lot to offer as pros in better situations. Guys like: 

Patrick Baldwin Jr

Jaden Hardy

Peyton Watson

Caleb Houstan

Maybe someone like Ousman Dieng, Jean Montero or Nikola Jovic depending how their pre draft goes. 

To be honest though I just want us to use one of our 2nds if not. Great rebuilds are buoyed by finding guys later in the draft. Look at Memphis right now Desmond Bane was the 30th pick, they've also used later picks on Tillman, Aldama, Tillie and Brandon Clarke. None of those guys have been big players this season but they're getting development minutes and if any of them step up into a real rotation player that's just a bonus. These picks are low risk, nobody cares if the 34th pick isn't a great player, but if they hit they can make your whole rebuild. 

I’m of two minds on this. Yes, you can probably get a late first round pick trading 32 & 35, and if there is a specific guy you are really high on, you pull that trigger. But, you are now locked into at least a two-year guaranteed contract. At 32 and 35, you may still grab someone who “slipped”, but now your options are open, and you get two bites at the apple. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Patrick Baldwin Jr

Jaden Hardy

Peyton Watson

Caleb Houstan

Jokes on you, we are going to trade both seconds for 15 tickets to see Hamilton at Dr Phillips and one of those cool Sunrail passes for everyone on the team.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, hootie249 said:

Jokes on you, we are going to trade both seconds for 15 tickets to see Hamilton at Dr Phillips and one of those cool Sunrail passes for everyone on the team.

Ha, ha, ha! Of course, knowing how much this FO seems to value second round picks, you may be right. 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, crisby pancakes said:

I agree with this. You take BPA and let it sort itself out. OKC with Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka was a exception to the rule. Most rebuilds don't end with every lottery pick becoming part of core. They usually look for a star to build around and package the others for something better. Look at the Sixers they had lots of picks and Embiid, Okafor, Noel, Simmons, and Fultz. They came out of it all with Embiid and Simmons (whom was just traded for Harden). The Lakers moved all their lotto guys Ingram, Ball, Russell, Hart, Randle (renounced) for essentially AD.

We are basically looking for a superstar to emerge/develop out of Fultz, Anthony, Franz, Suggs, 2022 draft. And if you get a 2nd allstar out of that then very successful rebuild...otherwise package what you can for guys that can make that superstar better. If Issac and Carter Jr. develop they could also be nice icing on the cake. The main thing is to get a good enough team that other good players want to sign here to play with that superstar.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:34 AM, JJZFL said:

There’s always “the next great thing” right around the corner.  That mindset can lead to decades of futility.  

Exactly we could be in a cycle of losing. I'm not as sold on the 2023 class. There has been talk of "great" classes in the past 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014. I think we pretty much get the same amount of stars in each draft with most players never living up to their potential. 

I'd like us to go all in one of these PF's Smith, Banchero, Holmgren to pair up with Franz and WCJ. Hopefully one is a stud and you also hope that one of Suggs, Fultz, Cole, Hampton turns into that superstar PG to pair with them, but not holding my breath on that. We need one really great hit with someone, and then to be good enough with the rest of our guys that other allstar players want to sign with us again...that's how we end the cycle of losing and create a championship window.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Patrick Baldwin Jr

Jaden Hardy

Peyton Watson

Caleb Houstan

Maybe the way this FO adds the 2ND FIRST ROUND PICK is by trading down for OKC picks 4 and 12.  Obviously they have to get the # 1 or 2 pick.

7 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I’m of two minds on this. Yes, you can probably get a late first round pick trading 32 & 35, and if there is a specific guy you are really high on, you pull that trigger. But, you are now locked into at least a two-year guaranteed contract. At 32 and 35, you may still grab someone who “slipped”, but now your options are open, and you get two bites at the apple. 

I doubt we're drafting 3 rookies though. Unless we stash one. And then you're at the mercy of the guy you like making it to you. Control your own destiny, move into the 20s and get the guy you want is my thinking.