CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

20 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Murray currently plays the PF role in college - he is the proto-typical tweener on the NBA-level and will probably play a lot of SF in the NBA. That's not a knock on him, just that he is more of a mid-range, offensive-minded player. The question becomes, is he more Charles Barkley, Tobias Harris, Jeff Green, Obi Toppin, or Pascal Siakim? Any of those is possible, and none of those outcomes is awful, but you wouldn't necessarily want to use a top-5 pick on three of those projections. He could also be Anthony Bennett (I don't think so, but who knows). Personally I think he is more Tobias Harris, and I would be okay with him if we fell into the 5-6 range.

Obviously you watch basketball. I watched Murray in about 5 games this season. He moves pretty good but looked better around the basket. Natural scorer, has good instincts. Like many pointed out, he is a tweener the way he plays. Power forward moves in a small forwards body, despite the weight. The weird thing is you can actually see what his role in the NBA would be if he doesn't play a 4 in the NBA. Just had to watch his twin brother on the same team when he came into the game. Life is weird! 

Look the guy could be the Danny Granger of this draft or a guy like Tobias who is solid but never great. I seriously don't see him being Michael Kidd Gilchrist but he could be that guy. That's the problem, i bet this guy is solid but will he be anything special? He can shoot. Still uses his body to dominate in college but oh boy did he dominate.

So here is the thing, a guy like Jabari Smith can do 2/3rds of what Murray can do in an amazing 18 year old body that is bigger and better and able to guard the perimeter and shoot 3's.If Smith has the luck, health and work ethic he is the star. If we draft 4th or later and get Murray i'd be very happy. If you draft higher you have to take a shot with Smith.

Had to edit something. Murray in the games i saw had to green light to take jumpers and 3's all he wanted to in college. He did shoot and is a shooter. What makes him a lottery pick and not his twin brother is how he set up his own shot by moving inside and setting up a better shot or post move. This is why i said he kind of played like a 4 not a 3, but like Jmagic said he would be doing the same things Wagner does. I think he said small forward but i'm gonna be more specific he overlaps Wagner. Who cares, if the Magic drop past 3 i would take him. Out front court will be insane with either Smith or Murray. It could also be amazing with Chet or Banchero but i think they have higher upside but way more bust potential. Banchero especially has that look that he is only gonna do a few things well and everything else depends on fit and work ethic. I guess like any player. Gah! this draft is so confusing

22 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Banchero especially has that look that he is only gonna do a few things well and everything else depends on fit and work ethic. I guess like any player. Gah! this draft is so confusing

I only watch college ball during March Madness. From what I saw from Banchero, his main flaw is taking plays off on defense. I saw more than 1 play where he was a matador, taking a swipe as someone went by on their way for a layup. Reminded me of Vuc. Other plays he was a monster on D.

I'd be really happy with any of the top 6 except Chet. I can easily see him spending as much time in rehab as JI does. Hi skinny height may have worked well in college, but I can't imagine him playing against men that put their head down a freight train to the basket and getting injured often. When I look at him, I get a vision of Dolph saying to Stallone "I will break you."

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I only watch college ball during March Madness. From what I saw from Banchero, his main flaw is taking plays off on defense. I saw more than 1 play where he was a matador, taking a swipe as someone went by on their way for a layup. Reminded me of Vuc. Other plays he was a monster on D.

I'd be really happy with any of the top 6 except Chet. I can easily see him spending as much time in rehab as JI does. Hi skinny height may have worked well in college, but I can't imagine him playing against men that put their head down a freight train to the basket and getting injured often. When I look at him, I get a vision of Dolph saying to Stallone "I will break you."

I believe that I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating - Kevin Durant was listed at 6'10" and 215lbs vs. Holmgren at 7"0 and 195. The problem is, you could look at KD and see from his frame that he would be able to put on an extra 20-30 pounds - you don't see that looking at Holmgren. He reminds me more of Manute Bol - 7'7" and 201 out of college. Even Shawn Bradley looked more substantial (7"6"/235). Holmgren's shoulders don't look promising for his ability to gain weight and strength. Mo Bamba was 6'11" (no shoes) and 226 coming out of college and he still looks thin. Is Holmgren talented, absolutely; does he play with energy, absolutely; can his bodily physically take the contact, wear and tear of the NBA, that is the elephant of a question in the room. (Or the giraffe!)

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone …long time no talk …hope everybody is doing good …I’m excited about the draft …I’m sure everyone will agree it’s high time the Magic got back to more winning …

In case you forgot I’m a UK homer lol …anyway Kentucky fans are furious about what is likely to happen with Shaedon Sharpe …he’s a stud but all signs are pointing to him committing to the draft .

Anyway, can you guys scroll to the 11 minute mark of this vid and give me your opinions ? That’s the part that starts talking about Orlando …you’ll probably recognize the speakers …

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Hi everyone …long time no talk …hope everybody is doing good …I’m excited about the draft …I’m sure everyone will agree it’s high time the Magic got back to more winning …

In case you forgot I’m a UK homer lol …anyway Kentucky fans are furious about what is likely to happen with Shaedon Sharpe …he’s a stud but all signs are pointing to him committing to the draft .

Anyway, can you guys scroll to the 11 minute mark of this vid and give me your opinions ? That’s the part that starts talking about Orlando …you’ll probably recognize the speakers …

First things first....get lucky, get the # 1 or 2 pick....then evaluate the talent and trade down, get your player + other assets if it's the worth thing to do.

The Magic have to hit a homerun on this draft someway, somehow, in my opinion. The team should not have too many more high draft picks in the future.

Maybe next year......the FO might TANKING IT EASY" one more time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

First things first....get lucky, get the # 1 or 2 pick....then evaluate the talent and trade down, get your player + other assets if it's the worth thing to do.

The Magic have to hit a homerun on this draft someway, somehow, in my opinion.

They do. Hopefully they've learned their lesson about drafting sticks. We need somebody that can already shoot, play some D, and not spend a lot of time in rehab.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ball junkie said:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/shaedon-sharpe I like this guy a LOT! Put him with Fultz, Franz, Isaac, and WCJ and let's see what we have.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/shaedon-sharpe I like this guy a LOT! Put him with Fultz, Franz, Isaac, and WCJ and let's see what we have.

A Better DJ …that’s what I’m seeing also …He can do everything at his young age …googling him you can pull up vids with Shaedon exhibiting every offensive and defensive skill on the planet …UK fans are furious cause Calipari promised he would lead us next season …when he commits to the NBA BigBlueNation is gonna explode …I’ll just leave you with this little TicToc vid of Sharpe keeping in mind that he already stands 6’6” with a wingspan to boot 

• Upvote 1

Idk if Giannis will play in this last game but I’m pretty sure the bucks will try to win this game as will the cavs because if the bucks tie records with Boston or if cavs tie with hawks they lose the tiebreaker. So expect Atlanta to go for the win to take the 8th seed. So yeah it’s almost a lock that we have the 2nd worst record.

The majority of the sims on Tankathon have us picking 5th and taking Murray. I would be thrilled to have him. I would also be thrilled to get #1 and trade back to get a great pick( and asset(s) instead of Chet the stick.