CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

I like the top 5 in this draft, he doesn’t get a lot of noise which in my opinion is just because he’s 21. But Keegan Murray looks like a player that can be very special.

27 minutes ago, J-Mac said:

I like the top 5 in this draft, he doesn’t get a lot of noise which in my opinion is just because he’s 21. But Keegan Murray looks like a player that can be very special.

Agree! Highest PPG in the draft and almost 10 RPGs. If we traded #1 for 4 and 12 I'd reach for him at 4 and reach for Abadji at 12.

8 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Agree! Highest PPG in the draft and almost 10 RPGs. If we traded #1 for 4 and 12 I'd reach for him at 4 and reach for Abadji at 12.

It’s funny cause I just had the mindset that we would drop to number 4 in the lottery, but if we did get the number 1 pick I agree with you 

UH OH // Did you guys know Jalen has been playing with Chet for years? I did not. Curious how this adds to the decision making. (I still prefer Smith or someone else).

The Magic have a young, talented backcourt with Cole AnthonyJalen Suggs and R.J. Hampton, and no one wants to see the Magic draft Holmgren more than his high school teammate, Suggs. The pair have been playing together since middle school and already have an established chemistry on the court.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nba-mock-draft-6-best-team-fits-for-top-prospects-191434363.html

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

UH OH // Did you guys know Jalen has been playing with Chet for years? I did not. Curious how this adds to the decision making. (I still prefer Smith or someone else).

The Magic have a young, talented backcourt with Cole AnthonyJalen Suggs and R.J. Hampton, and no one wants to see the Magic draft Holmgren more than his high school teammate, Suggs. The pair have been playing together since middle school and already have an established chemistry on the court.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nba-mock-draft-6-best-team-fits-for-top-prospects-191434363.html

Yea Chet and Suggs were AAU team mates. It's not a coincidence that Chet committed to Gonzaga after Jalen went there.

Id like to think it doesn't really make any difference to the process, unless the margins are miniscule I wouldn't draft Chet over someone else just because of the familiarity with Suggs, we don't even know for sure Suggs is going to be a guy we build around. 

It might mean Chet will be more open about visits and information etc with our organisation. 

Latest from Sbnation. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2022/4/5/23009436/nba-mock-draft-2022-first-round-post-march-madness-paolo-chet-holmgren-order

A day old so it has us mocked number one. However we know none of that means anything until the lottery. They still have Banchero as the number one prospect.

They are also pretty high on Duren and Griffin.

13 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

In the last five years how many times did the worst record get the number one pick? I have no idea. Just wondering. 

Based on current lotto odds, it should happen about once every seven years.  

15 hours ago, J-Mac said:

From 2015-18 the worst team got the number one pick. Hasn’t happened since 2018. But before 2015 correct me if I’m wrong but we were the last team with the worst record to get number 1 in 2004

Ok thanks, not much incentive to be absolute worst. But at least Iggy is getting lots of burn. Hahahahaha!!

• Upvote 1

Why do some of you like

Smith 6'10" 210 lbs Freshman 18.9 yrs 21.2 PTS 9.3 REB 2.5 AST 1.3 BLK 1.4 STL

over

Murray  6'8" 225 lbs Sophomore 21.6 yrs 26.5 PTS  9.8 REB 1.7 AST  2.2 BLK 1.5 STL

??? Is it the 2 inches in height? I'd rather have the 15 pounds and better stats!

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Why do some of you like

Smith 6'10" 210 lbs Freshman 18.9 yrs 21.2 PTS 9.3 REB 2.5 AST 1.3 BLK 1.4 STL

over

Murray  6'8" 225 lbs Sophomore 21.6 yrs 26.5 PTS  9.8 REB 1.7 AST  2.2 BLK 1.5 STL

??? Is it the 2 inches in height? I'd rather have the 15 pounds and better stats!

Totally different players, positions and ages. Smith is an 18 year old power forward who can shoot the lights out and is a legit two way player. His struggle is creating for himself. Murray is a small forward very similar to Wagner. He’s also 21 years old… or three years older than Smith.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Totally different players, positions and ages. Smith is an 18 year old power forward who can shoot the lights out and is a legit two way player. His struggle is creating for himself. Murray is a small forward very similar to Wagner. He’s also 21 years old… or three years older than Smith.

Sounds like Murray is probably more NBA ready? Can Murray play the 2?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Sounds like Murray is probably more NBA ready? Can Murray play the 2?

Murray currently plays the PF role in college - he is the proto-typical tweener on the NBA-level and will probably play a lot of SF in the NBA. That's not a knock on him, just that he is more of a mid-range, offensive-minded player. The question becomes, is he more Charles Barkley, Tobias Harris, Jeff Green, Obi Toppin, or Pascal Siakim? Any of those is possible, and none of those outcomes is awful, but you wouldn't necessarily want to use a top-5 pick on three of those projections. He could also be Anthony Bennett (I don't think so, but who knows). Personally I think he is more Tobias Harris, and I would be okay with him if we fell into the 5-6 range.