CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Guys I just re-watched This Magic Moment. I know that team ended badly without winning anything and I know Paolo Banchero is almost certainly not Shaq. But I'm flooded with optimism that maybe one day Paolo and Franz might make me care about a team so much I get heartbroken when it ends (hopefully after like 4 championships lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Forget the stats. AG is NOWHERE near PB as a prospect. Come on now...  

30 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Forget the stats. AG is NOWHERE near PB as a prospect. Come on now...  

Im comparing tatum and paolo not AG

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

I wanted to be off the board for the draft and just enjoy the draft. Plus, I’m at a conference for work, so didn’t have the time to post. 

Few thoughts I’ve had since the draft:

1) My conference is in Houston and rocket fans at the conference are pissed, they wanted Paolo. 

2) I said before the draft that the talking heads at ESPN, Ringer, Athletic, ect.. don’t know as much as Vegas odds makers. The Paolo line doesn’t move that much without major news for no reason. 

3) I’ve read multiple people talking about how we didn’t bring Paolo in for a visit. How do you know this to be true. Don’t trust anything ESPN says. They know very little (example- woj trying to release the order before the draft and being totally wrong). We have no reason to think we didn’t work out Paolo. 

4) Heard multiple people saying how it doesn’t make sense to be secretive. I disagree completely, most public rankings had Jabari, Chet then Paolo. So why not keep who you want a secret in hopes of Houston or OKC trading up for a prospect you don’t want. This is my assumption, but I think we were trying to get Houston to move up to 1, but when we found out they wanted Paolo and not Jabari, we didn’t do the deal. Basically we want Paolo at 3, but so did Houston. 

5) The comp I have for Paolo is a bigger Paul Pierce. Paul was 6’8” 235. 

6)Paolo Banchero is an elite Paul Porter name. LOL 

7)  Do you think Suggs and/or Franz plays in the summer league. 

I’d be astonished if Franz played in summer league and I doubt Suggs will either.  Both had tons of minutes in the regular season last year.  

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

I’d be astonished if Franz played in summer league and I doubt Suggs will either.  Both had tons of minutes in the regular season last year.  

You’re probably right, that was more of me being excited and wanting to see Paolo on the floor with them  

29 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Second year players typically play. 

Not when they were the starters as rookies. 

Houstan is a 3-and-D wing, a skillset that drives so much of the NBA currently. In high school and international competition, Houstan showed flashes of being a player that could create and drive the lane, but at Michigan, that never came to fruition. Time will show if he can grow that part of his game. For now, Orlando is loaded with on-the-ball talent and if Houstan can be an off-the-ball player who can hit a high percentage of three-pointers, he will find a role with the Magic. 

Where Houstan fits with the initial depth chart is interesting because the long-term goal is to be an in-between for the other two star forwards. Banchero will likely replace Jonathon Isaac, a power forward who has missed the past two seasons dealing with an ACL injury. Behind Wagner is 31-year-old Terrence Ross, a veteran who contributed solid minutes to the Magic last year. 

Houstan's first row of competition is two former Wolverines in Ignas Brazdeikis and Mo Wagner, Franz's brother.

Both players have very different skill sets from Houstan. Brazdeikis is a more physical small forward with limited range, while Wagner is an undersized center playing power forward. So while there are other players in front of Houstan, there isn't a spot-up three-point shooter that is so viable in today's NBA.

Houstan will likely start his NBA career in Lakeland with the Magic's G-League affiliate. His different skill set could help him get into the Magic's top 15, but Orlando will likely want him to get more consistent with his shooting, something he struggled with in college. 

If he can start to develop that shot-creator part of his game, he could accelerate his time, but Orlando is in the early stages of the growth of their team, and Houstan is a long-term investment. The path is there, and he has the talent -- time and development will determine Houstan's long-term potential in the league.

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/how-caleb-houston-fits-with-orlando-magic

Because he’s been such a high-profile prospect for so long, Houstan enters the NBA with established expectations. Those expectations should be tempered, Michigan assistant coach Phil Martelli said, by a commitment to Houstan’s long-term development. Because he reclassified, Houstan is the equivalent of a high school senior. He’ll need an organization willing to invest in his growth without the pressure of producing right away.

“I don’t even think it’s the coaches, to be honest — I think it’s going to be the player development, the strength and conditioning people who are going to make or break Caleb,” Martelli said. “My anticipation would be that a year from now, we’re going to look at him as a completely different player.”

Houstan grew up in Mississauga, Ontario, and starred for the Canadian youth national team while attending high school in Florida at Montverde. He came to Michigan with a reputation as a lights-out shooter but dealt with some prolonged cold spells, including a 2-of-21 stretch from 3-point range in January. He seemed to be finding his groove with back-to-back 20-point games against Rutgers and Illinois in February but faded in the postseason, going scoreless in an NCAA Tournament victory against Tennessee and finishing with five points in a Sweet 16 loss to Villanova.

Despite an uneven freshman season, it’s easy to see why teams were intrigued by Houstan’s potential. He’s a 6-foot-8 wing who can shoot, the kind of prospect currently en vogue among NBA teams. He models his game after Klay ThompsonKhris Middleton and Jayson Tatum. If Houstan approaches that level of production as a pro, he’ll go down as a draft steal.

Drafting Houstan comes with no guarantees, however. He was overmatched at times in the Big Ten and will need to improve in every area to make an impact in the NBA. Mentally, he has the maturity to deal with whatever comes his way. The physical part will have to come with time.

“A year from now, with the right player development and right strength and conditioning, he’s going to be a different guy,” Martelli said. 

https://theathletic.com/3374153/2022/06/23/caleb-houstan-nba-draft-orlando-magic/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I wanted to be off the board for the draft and just enjoy the draft. Plus, I’m at a conference for work, so didn’t have the time to post. 

Few thoughts I’ve had since the draft:

1) My conference is in Houston and rocket fans at the conference are pissed, they wanted Paolo. 

2) I said before the draft that the talking heads at ESPN, Ringer, Athletic, ect.. don’t know as much as Vegas odds makers. The Paolo line doesn’t move that much without major news for no reason. 

3) I’ve read multiple people talking about how we didn’t bring Paolo in for a visit. How do you know this to be true. Don’t trust anything ESPN says. They know very little (example- woj trying to release the order before the draft and being totally wrong). We have no reason to think we didn’t work out Paolo. 

4) Heard multiple people saying how it doesn’t make sense to be secretive. I disagree completely, most public rankings had Jabari, Chet then Paolo. So why not keep who you want a secret in hopes of Houston or OKC trading up for a prospect you don’t want. This is my assumption, but I think we were trying to get Houston to move up to 1, but when we found out they wanted Paolo and not Jabari, we didn’t do the deal. Basically we want Paolo at 3, but so did Houston. 

5) The comp I have for Paolo is a bigger Paul Pierce. Paul was 6’8” 235. 
6)Paolo Banchero is an elite Paul Porter name. LOL 

7)  Do you think Suggs and/or Franz plays in the summer league. 

Good thoughts. The bigger Paul Pierce comp is an interesting one. 

Paulo told SVP last night that Orlando put him through all of the pre-draft process of multiple Zoom calls, personality tests, etc. but that he didn't visit the team in Orlando.