CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

39 minutes ago, Jon said:

He can make a lot of gains in the next 3 months. Not concerned. Glad he’s putting in the work.

With the lack of weight he was pushing in that video I highly doubt that. I thought we already learned our lesson drafting lanky guys with a big wingspan. How did Bamba workout for us? This guy is going to be a project and that’s the last thing we need from the number 1 pick. Give me Jabari’s elite shooting any day of the week. We have severely lacked scoring and a three point threat for many years and when one falls into our lap we shouldn’t over think it. Just picture Fultz getting to the rim at will next year and dishing it to a wide open Jabari for 3. 

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im sure prospects often spend 2 full days with the GMs of a team they don't want to get drafted by.

If I had to guess, I still think it's 50/50 between Jabari and Chet right now. Chet's body does really scare me, but I get the attraction from the basketball side of things.

37 minutes ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

With the lack of weight he was pushing in that video I highly doubt that. I thought we already learned our lesson drafting lanky guys with a big wingspan. How did Bamba workout for us? This guy is going to be a project and that’s the last thing we need from the number 1 pick. Give me Jabari’s elite shooting any day of the week. We have severely lacked scoring and a three point threat for many years and when one falls into our lap we shouldn’t over think it. Just picture Fultz getting to the rim at will next year and dishing it to a wide open Jabari for 3. 

This not an opinion. If he stays consistent, gets his diet in check, he will make gains within 3 months. Is he going to be the next Larry Wheeler? No but the body will always do what you tell it do through diet/weight training. 

And I got news for you, they are all projects. 

• Upvote 2

If we draft Chet, my immediate thought will be that it will be part of a bigger trade we’re looking to make for a guy in the 2-5 range. 

SUPER risky in my mind but I won’t be accepting we’re actually keeping Chet until we are at the #13 pick (past OKC #12) in the evening with nothing having been moved. 

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

If we draft Chet, my immediate thought will be that it will be part of a bigger trade we’re looking to make for a guy in the 2-5 range. 

SUPER risky in my mind but I won’t be accepting we’re actually keeping Chet until we are at the #13 pick (past OKC #12) in the evening with nothing having been moved. 

Hope you’re right Trey …somehow we gotta come out of this draft getting more than one asset …lotta teams looking to get vets or move up or down depending on the team .

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im sure prospects often spend 2 full days with the GMs of a team they don't want to get drafted by.

Just gonna point out the obvious. If Chet and his agent were angling to steer his medicals and heart check to only one team, surely it's the team with the first pick. 

3 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Just gonna point out the obvious. If Chet and his agent were angling to steer his medicals and heart check to only one team, surely it's the team with the first pick. 

You'd think.

But like I say, if he doesn't give us the medicals I'm fine with not picking him. We have the #1 pick and the most guaranteed money on offer, we've got the leverage here, if he wants to play somewhere else that's fine, the difference between the #1 and #2 pick over 4 years is close to $5m if I'm doing the math right. Plus the endorsements that come with the press of being the #1 pick are probably a nice little bit extra. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Chet comes here if he’s angling elsewhere unless there’s a deal with OKC which is unlikely IMO.

My guess is based on what Weltman said when we won the draft when asked if they had to pick now, do they know who they’d pick, and he said yes, I believe Chet is the pick.

Ringer's updated (6/17) mock has some good tidbits. 

1. Orl getting calls for #1

2. Jabari is the likely pick, but may be in a trade-down scenario

3. Hou trying to trade up to top 2

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's pretty weird that Jabari is the only one of the workouts who had media access. Either he's the guy or we really want someone to believe he's the guy. 

I know...how can that be? How can this FO doesn't give access to the media to talk to Chet as they did with Jabari? I give them an F, no matter what.

We'll here more about this I'm sure...the media will get to Weltman one day.

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

First off wow he is incredibly skinny …as a lifelong gym rat …those dumbbell lunges he looks to be using 25 pound dumbbells …for comparison I’m 62 years old and weigh 175 and use 40 lbs …will be in the gym doing it shortly …the front squats he was doing looked to be 135 …not only is that weak for a prospective NBA player but it was aided by gadgets from a Smith machine …the dead lift was called an RDL …for glutes and hamstrings …my son who is a personal trainer said those are the skinny plates …not 45’s  …if I was only going that far I could do a lot more weight …that helps back and shoulders …didn’t see any chest and arm stuff not that he doesn’t do it but he certainly should .

I don’t think the Magic are gonna pick him anyway …with the knock on Chet being his body and durability issues …and with the Magics own heath/injury history with players I don't see how Weltham can risk it …first time Holmgren gets hurt you know what the naysayers will cry .

Lastly and most importantly his agent wants him in OKC …that’s pretty relevant .

Sorry CT 

Edit : the Smith machine had handles that help with balance but he wasn’t even doing his body weight 

Just edited my post again 

I’m a Jabari fan, so I’m not trying to defend Chet or his strength. However, I did want to clear up a few things from your post that were misstated. 

When he’s using the 25lbs dumbbells he’s not doing lunges. He’s doing 1 legged squats, but his back foot does touch the ground for balance purposes which leads to the look of a lunge. However, we do know it’s a one leg squat and not a lunge, because you can see in the video he’s not using his back leg to generate force. So, for this lift the 25lbs isn’t something to balk at. It’s also not something to brag about either frankly. 

Also, he’s not front squatting and he’s not using a smith machine. The bar he’s using is called a safety squat bar and it’s actually used frequently in high performance gyms as it still provides a great lift, while being safer. Specifically it improves posture by having your knees over your toes and it puts less pressure on the shoulders and traps. 

Now I agree he’s not lifting huge weight, but he does have good form and he’s getting deep. 

Also, I agree on the barebell RDL’s he’s not lifting heavy, but he is going below his knees and he’s not rounding his back. His form is solid, but again the weight isn’t much. 

With that said, this video doesn’t change my option of Chet positive or negative. But it is a good indicator that this isn’t his first time in the gym like his body might make it appear at first glance.

His form isn’t that of a gym novice. 

Edit- please know these comments weren’t meant as a personal attack or to discredit your opinion.  It’s obvious you’re basketball IQ is very high and your draft opinions are noteworthy. I just wanted to provide some clarity form a lifting perspective as I’ve spent many years in high performance gyms. 

• Upvote 1