CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Soul …I found a fleece partner …and it’s your favorite writers and their hypothetical …listen to the last 90 seconds …it’s only 5 minutes .

And on the video itself …they are banking on Smith becoming an alpha down the road …they say we have shot creators already …not sure I buy that …yes we have shot creators but not sure we have shot makers and finishers and I know you understand what m saying …Weltham on the clock …let’s see if they can somehow take this number 1 pick and set us up for the future 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Last post during my lunch hour: I really want Jalen Williams. Seems like a seasoned player who’d fit our mold and be a great point forward. Credit to CTMagicUK for turning me onto him.

I really like him too man. Screw it you've given me an excuse to get some of my thoughts about him down:

I don't know, there's something about how smooth he is with the ball that's really attractive.

I think he's more of a theoretically good defender with his length and testing athleticism versus what the tape says but I don't think he's going to be bad at that end.

It's hard to find a comparison for him in the league that I'm happy with, I've seen people throw around Shake Milton and that's fine and probably reasonable but I'm not sure id trade up for Shake Milton... Kevin O Connor has TJ Warren and OG Anunoby but I don't see either of those guys and find them odd comparisons.

I think aesthetically his game kind of reminds me of Caris Levert but I think Levert is a shiftier ball handler so I'd be hesitant to say he'd reach that level of NBA player. 

He's fun though. And he's long which I'm sure we'll like. He's been a bit of a late bloomer as a shooter which is kind of concerning as to whether this season was real or if it was just a hot streak but if you believe in the jumper there's a lot to like there. 

56 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I really like him too man. Screw it you've given me an excuse to get some of my thoughts about him down:

I don't know, there's something about how smooth he is with the ball that's really attractive.

I think he's more of a theoretically good defender with his length and testing athleticism versus what the tape says but I don't think he's going to be bad at that end.

It's hard to find a comparison for him in the league that I'm happy with, I've seen people throw around Shake Milton and that's fine and probably reasonable but I'm not sure id trade up for Shake Milton... Kevin O Connor has TJ Warren and OG Anunoby but I don't see either of those guys and find them odd comparisons.

I think aesthetically his game kind of reminds me of Caris Levert but I think Levert is a shiftier ball handler so I'd be hesitant to say he'd reach that level of NBA player. 

He's fun though. And he's long which I'm sure we'll like. He's been a bit of a late bloomer as a shooter which is kind of concerning as to whether this season was real or if it was just a hot streak but if you believe in the jumper there's a lot to like there. 

I liked him in the Combine or whatever a few weeks ago, he looked good

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Soul …I found a fleece partner …and it’s your favorite writers and their hypothetical …listen to the last 90 seconds …it’s only 5 minutes .

And on the video itself …they are banking on Smith becoming an alpha down the road …they say we have shot creators already …not sure I buy that …yes we have shot creators but not sure we have shot makers and finishers and I know you understand what m saying …Weltham on the clock …let’s see if they can somehow take this number 1 pick and set us up for the future 

To be fair if we could get sharpe in the 5-9 range and trade for him i would do it so we could just straight up be young and then go from here. If we could somehow get 2 and 12 from OKC and move 12 and stuff to get Smith/Holmgren (whichever) then sharpe i would.

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Matt Pennie said.....JS Jr fits SEAMLESSLY in the Orlando Magic Team.

This is just one more example of what is going to happen soon....Jabari a Magic !!!!  ROY next year and an All-Star like 10, 10 + years, etc, etc.

• Upvote 1

“Most of the questions that teams got is how will I come out and play,” Sharpe said. “I’ve haven’t played in about a year, but for me I feel like that’s really not any big deal because as a basketball player once you start playing and getting back into the flow, it (doesn’t) really matter. Just keep playing.”

-Shaedon Sharpe

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article262393812.html#storylink=cpy

I know the one on one tape can be deceiving.  I know that.   In this draft... If I ask myself "with the clock ticking down and a shot at the tie or win who do I want with the ball in his hands?" it is pretty easily Sharpe followed by Ivey and Paolo.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Matt Pennie said.....JS Jr fits SEAMLESSLY in the Orlando Magic Team.

This is just one more example of what is going to happen soon....Jabari a Magic !!!!  ROY next year and an All-Star like 10, 10 + years, etc, etc.

When I look at the personalities of the players they like and bring in - competitive, team-oriented, defense-oriented, humble hard workers - JSJ just fits the mold to a T. I just don't see a world where we look at him and say, "I'd rather take the risk with Chet for the upside." JSJ has everything the Magic want in a player from skill to personality and it's not even close for anyone else. 

21 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

When I look at the personalities of the players they like and bring in - competitive, team-oriented, defense-oriented, humble hard workers - JSJ just fits the mold to a T. I just don't see a world where we look at him and say, "I'd rather take the risk with Chet for the upside." JSJ has everything the Magic want in a player from skill to personality and it's not even close for anyone else. 

To be fair Chet ticks most of those boxes personality wise too. 

I will say that I won't throw a fit if we draft the stick figure. Chet has bananas talent for a guy his height. My issue with Chet isn't even really about his weight, though that is certainly part of it. I don't like super-skinny guys; but I have missed on other prospects for that reason before. I thought Durant would get roughed up in the NBA. I thought Gobert would fold in half. I didn't like Mobley, either (though, to be fair, I didn't really like anyone in last year's draft except Cunningham and Green). I don't trust that guys like that will not spend most of their time injured. And Chet is WAY skinnier than any of those guys, in terms of frame. What bothers me about Chet (aside from the obvious) is two-fold: he wasn't the main focus of his college team's offense and he wasn't good against top talent. And I think Orlando needs a star with the first pick, not a giant Swiss Army Knife. Chet is basically a taller Isaac, from what I've seen (with a little better shooting), and while I like Isaac, he isn't the guy you draft at #1.

I see all the talent that Chet has, different skills that you just don't see in a 7-footer. But the question for me is, 'what in Chet's game will translate and actually matter?' He's a monster of a shot-blocker, but so is Porzingis, and he was traded to make Dallas better because he was actually a defensive liability. The weird thing is: shot-blocking doesn't necessarily equal great defense. Chet's scary-looking in transition, because he's a 7-footer who can run the floor and dribble. But is that really all that useful? How many times in a game will that matter at all? Is it truly impactful, or just a novelty? Chet's got cool post moves, but will he be able to use any of them on grown men who will just put him off-balance and man-handle him? Bigger college guys man-handled him, NBA guys will EAT him. He would need to put on at minimum 30 pounds before 90% of the league wouldn't be able to gently nudge him to any spot on the floor they want him, and probably 50 lbs before most Centers won't be able to. Will he be able to do that, and if he does, will he be the same guy? What good will post moves mean if he can't hold a position long enough to use them? (so the weight does mean something, but it's more than just about whether he'll be injury-prone). Are we so enamored with this guy because he's so crazy skilled, or because he's got a lot of better-than-average skills and is 7 feet tall.

Now Chet might very well come in and become the Dirk/Noah combo that I DO see in there if I squint. That's why I hate tanking so much. You can tank for ten years to finally get the first pick, and you get a guy who might be an all-time great, or he might not even be a starter; or he might be an all-time great who you lose when a stiff wind carries him off a cliff, or a toddler bumps him at Disney and his twig leg snaps. Or you draft Jabari and he's either taller Paul George/Jayson Tatum or he isn't a number one option so he's basically taller Mikal Bridges (better than Chet's worst-case-scenario, but not worth 10 years of tanking, that's for sure). Or you draft Paulo and he's either better passing Melo, or just Jabari Parker 2.0, a man out of time in the modern NBA who's defense is so bad his above-average offense can't off-set it. Or you draft Sharpe, and he's either whatever form of Jesus the Kentucky Stans seem to think he'll be, or he's Dwayne Bacon.

What I know is, like many others have said, I'll convince myself I love whoever we pick. At least for a while.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

If we pass on any star, it’ll be rough. WeltHam are definitely on the clock. To answer your questions about Smith, I absolutely believe he’s an alpha and can be a star. He’s an offensive assassin with his shot and a super switchable giant wing. I think Holmgren, Banchero, Ivey and Sharpe also all have star potential… though I believe certain guys better fit our system and culture.

Totally with you on Smith potentially being an Alpha and a star. That kid plays with heart and passion. I can’t believe the neigh sayers keep this he’s only a 3 and D guy narrative going. If by 3 and D they mean 22-25 PPG with excellent D than yes I agree.   Think how much further ahead of guys like Paul George, Kawhi, Giannis, T-Mac, etc he is at the same age. He will continue to improve as he is only 19.  

• Like 1