CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

10 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

287059479_152031970681202_36694540068592

Anyone else notice Jabari wore Laker colors for his shoes? #ConspiracyTheories #BringTheTinFoilHats

And huge hands and wide shoulders are noticeably too....at only 19 years old? 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear i do believe Chet's frame is an issue. I always have. But I don't think it's an issue that outweighs all the talent he has. I've said repeatedly if it wasn't for his frame I don't believe there'd be any debate about who the #1 pick should be.

But for total clarity I went back and listened. So, at the end of a conversation about how Chet is such a unique a prospect that it's hard for people to fit him in a neat box (much the same way a lot of the great players were/are like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid to a certain extent, Gobert etc - Sam Vecinie's words not mine) they say Matt Pennie says (paraphrased quote) "you've got to have some stones to take him though because if his body breaks down after 3 years you can't say 'we didn't see that coming' you'll hear a lot of I told you so's". Perfectly fair comment, I agree entirely.

I've seen a mock here and there showing him dropping / OKC not taking him at 2. 

Here is the mock / NBADraft.net, dated June 9:

#1 Jabari to the Magic

#2 Ivey to OKC

#3 Banchero to the Rockets

#4 Chet to the Kings

15 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

287059479_152031970681202_36694540068592

Anyone else notice Jabari wore Laker colors for his shoes? #ConspiracyTheories #BringTheTinFoilHats

Would be nice to get "inside workout information" about the details of Jabari's performance.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear i do believe Chet's frame is an issue. I always have. But I don't think it's an issue that outweighs all the talent he has. I've said repeatedly if it wasn't for his frame I don't believe there'd be any debate about who the #1 pick should be.

But for total clarity I went back and listened. So, at the end of a conversation about how Chet is such a unique a prospect that it's hard for people to fit him in a neat box (much the same way a lot of the great players were/are like Giannis, Jokic, Embiid to a certain extent, Gobert etc - Sam Vecinie's words not mine) they say Matt Pennie says (paraphrased quote) "you've got to have some stones to take him though because if his body breaks down after 3 years you can't say 'we didn't see that coming' you'll hear a lot of I told you so's". Perfectly fair comment, I agree entirely.

Ok thank you sir …respect …now, since we’re treating Matt Pennie and Sam Vecinie as gospel …

And I’d argue if Sharpe wasn’t a HS kid who hasn’t been seen a lot there would also not be any debate who should go one …Givony already telling everyone he does things the top 3 don’t …I acknowledge you can’t take him 1 because of the circumstances …but I read a Detroit article yesterday destroying the arguments against taking HS kids high and showing the success rates actually pretty high for success .

I don’t know how any Magic fan can watch this and not salivate …and they mention the team that takes him cannot be in win now mode (which we aren’t) and has to have good development program (hello Jamahl) …just hope Weltham are doing their due diligence which I think they are 

18 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Ok thank you sir …respect …now, since we’re treating Matt Pennie and Sam Vecinie as gospel …

And I’d argue if Sharpe wasn’t a HS kid who hasn’t been seen a lot there would also not be any debate who should go one …Givony already telling everyone he does things the top 3 don’t …I acknowledge you can’t take him 1 because of the circumstances …but I read a Detroit article yesterday destroying the arguments against taking HS kids high and showing the success rates actually pretty high for success .

I don’t know how any Magic fan can watch this and not salivate …and they mention the team that takes him cannot be in win now mode (which we aren’t) and has to have good development program (hello Jamahl) …just hope Weltham are doing their due diligence which I think they are 

I'm not taking them as gospel. I listened to them and quoted them but I judge everything they say on its own merits. Vecenie has Sharpe at 5 for what it's worth regardless of what he says in that breakdown he still has Chet, Jabari, Paolo and Ivey over him.

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

And huge hands and wide shoulders are noticeably too....at only 19 years old? 

Yeah this is the guy that Screams Weltham type pick. Look at his freaking hands, I'm sold. I still think Paolo and Chet will come in the first year and do better. However, i think Smith is the kid  that actually comes in and works his ass off every year till he is an All-star. He doesn't have the skills the other two have but he has that body. Wings win in todays game!

I wish i could see the workout. He looks like the Kawhi,PG,Giannis type that takes a few years to fill out and learn some skills.  It's funny because a ton of you see him as the guy that walks right into a role but he is gonna struggle when his shot isn't going in. I mean who even remotely thought Suggs would be that bad last year. However, just like Suggs i see the elite two way potential in  both players. 

I just don't trust Chets body and even though i like Paolo i think he might not work on our team. Pretty sure we take him now. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Add Dalen Terry to the Jalen Williams/Jaden Hardy group of guys I'd trade back into the first to pick. 

Don’t know Dalen, can you provide a recap of him? Agree on Jalen Williams and Hardy. 

https://cerebrosports.substack.com/p/the-archetype-dribblepassshoot-wings?s=r

This is worth a read, it's long and dense and not entirely relevant to us as the players discussed won't be in play at 1 but its very very interesting, particularly because it discusses a player archetype that I think this FO has been deliberately targeting which is the dribble/pass/shoot wing (see Franz, Chuma, and even Iwundu and Frazier could be argued as bets on this archetype even if they didn't work out). 

The only one of the discussed players we've worked out is Braun, probably because he's the only one we'd have a reasonable chance to get at 32 but if we somehow do manage to trade back into the first I wouldn't be surprised if we targeted one of the other guys mentioned (other guys are Ben Mathurin, Jalen Williams, Blake Wesley and Malaki Branham doubt we'd be able to trade back in high enough to get Branham or Mathurin if I'm honest). 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Agree to disagree on the fan thing. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours.

Doomed to fail in the context of my comment doesn't have anything to do with how we've failed previously it means we'd be condemned to failing consistently into the future. If you believe that applies to us I'd have to question your sanity as to why you spend your time watching a team you believe has no hope for improvement. 

To clarify:   We’ve already been failing about as badly as possible with our current approach.  Listening more to the fans, or some other approach, is unlikely to do any worse than we’ve already been doing.  

I never meant to imply we have no hope for improvement, so apologize if my post led to that conclusion.  That being said, I have long believed and continue to believe that the tanking strategy delays our improvement, and makes it less likely over the next few years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

To clarify:   We’ve already been failing about as badly as possible with our current approach.  Listening more to the fans, or some other approach, is unlikely to do any worse than we’ve already been doing.  

I never meant to imply we have no hope for improvement, so apologize if my post led to that conclusion.  That being said, I have long believed and continue to believe that the tanking strategy delays our improvement, and makes it less likely over the next few years.  

Yeah, we just have to move onwards. Words cannot describe the Henny years, that was a clusterfreak of almost unimaginable proportions. It seems the power struggle of coaches, Front office people and some inside crazy stuff we will never,ever know about doomed the team. It was Knicks/Kings/Pre Balmer Clippers **** happening. I honestly think the current regime has just had some bad luck and a little bit of lack of self awareness. With the recent trades and all in on a new direction i forgive the past inaction. They seem to have a a formula that i can get behind, if they hit on it. Jury is still out, but i do get what they are trying to do. 

Just have to hit on a player or two and the good thing is, even if they just keep drafting quality guys they are setting up the team for a big trade. it's coming. I don't see it this offseason. Probably next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Yeah this is the guy that Screams Weltham type pick. Look at his freaking hands, I'm sold. I still think Paolo and Chet will come in the first year and do better. However, i think Smith is the kid  that actually comes in and works his ass off every year till he is an All-star. He doesn't have the skills the other two have but he has that body. Wings win in todays game!

I wish i could see the workout. He looks like the Kawhi,PG,Giannis type that takes a few years to fill out and learn some skills.  It's funny because a ton of you see him as the guy that walks right into a role but he is gonna struggle when his shot isn't going in. I mean who even remotely thought Suggs would be that bad last year. However, just like Suggs i see the elite two way potential in  both players. 

I just don't trust Chets body and even though i like Paolo i think he might not work on our team. Pretty sure we take him now. 

CHECK OUT KD HANDS....COMPARE THEM TO JABARI'S. IMPRESSIVE !!!

Kevin Durant's Fifth Metatarsal Injury | Healthmark Foot & Ankle Associates