CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, J Roc Baby said:

I'm good with Smith too. He can knock it down and that is what we need. He'll be dynamite with Franz moving the ball. Chet? Two way monster who I think we can plug in elsewhere while WCJ handles duties at center and he'll alley oop with Suggs.

It's in our hands and unless there's a surprise option I'm likely to be very happy on draft night.

Today's prototype NBA Wing player....and again, he is only 19 years old !!!!

Eye in the sky

-High-release on his jumper; smooth release, tons of shot fluidity, holds follow-through
-Has great feet, utilizes jab-steps exceptionally well, helps create space for jump shot
-Seems to always be squared and ready to shoot, never in a hurry to get shot off due to his size and ability to shoot over smaller defenders
-Range extends well beyond the college three-point line, true floor-spacer
-Served as a nice target for trail three’s in transition, really hunted for those opportunities
-Has the ability to shoot coming off movement as well: catch-and-shoot off screen action, pick-and-pop ability as a screener
-Pull-up ability off one or two dribbles is part of his repertoire. Can he develop shooting/scoring go-to moves off more than just one or two dribbles?
-Because of his plus-size for a forward, was easily able to shoot over smaller defenders in mid or high-post/elbow-extended situations (turning over either shoulder)
-Handle is a little loose (and a bit too high for me). If he doesn’t get his shot off cleanly (off the catch), tends to put the ball on the floor and almost overdribble, doesn’t really create separation off the dribble in one-on-one situations (heading towards the basket)
-Has everything you need to be a plus-defender at the next-level: again, good feet which allows him to slide with (and stay in front of) live dribbler(s), recover in pick-and-roll situations, serve as a help defender in the paint
-Good length, good frame; just consumed collegiate players by keeping his arms up (without fouling) and staying in front of opponents

2 hours ago, J Roc Baby said:

I'm good with Smith too. He can knock it down and that is what we need. He'll be dynamite with Franz moving the ball. Chet? Two way monster who I think we can plug in elsewhere while WCJ handles duties at center and he'll alley oop with Suggs.

It's in our hands and unless there's a surprise option I'm likely to be very happy on draft night.

Agreed!

I think most would agree that the Magic biggest struggle is consistent scoring and playmaking. Case in point Cole was our leading scoring at 16ppg on inefficient shooting. 

So why isn’t the best offensive prospect in the top of the draft (Paolo Banchero) being discussed as a possibility? 

All you hear and see is it’s Chet or Jabari. So why question is why not Paolo? He has the best chance of solving our biggest problem. 

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I think most would agree that the Magic biggest struggle is consistent scoring and playmaking. Case in point Cole was our leading scoring at 16ppg on inefficient shooting. 

So why isn’t the best offensive prospect in the top of the draft (Paolo Banchero) being discussed as a possibility? 

All you hear and see is it’s Chet or Jabari. So why question is why not Paolo? He has the best chance of solving our biggest problem. 

I could be wrong, but I think some people question his defensive consistency. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2022/6/8/23160395/nba-finals-reactions-and-shaedon-sharpe-projections
“The Ringer” …pretty reputable site …loads of info …after watching my conclusion is Sharpe can be anything he wants …his limitations are not physical but what’s between his ears …but at his age to early to determine that …one thing he said of note was that Sharpe should go to a team with vet leadership …not sure if any team picking at the top of the draft has vet leadership 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Today's prototype NBA Wing player....and again, he is only 19 years old !!!!

Eye in the sky

-High-release on his jumper; smooth release, tons of shot fluidity, holds follow-through
-Has great feet, utilizes jab-steps exceptionally well, helps create space for jump shot
-Seems to always be squared and ready to shoot, never in a hurry to get shot off due to his size and ability to shoot over smaller defenders
-Range extends well beyond the college three-point line, true floor-spacer
-Served as a nice target for trail three’s in transition, really hunted for those opportunities
-Has the ability to shoot coming off movement as well: catch-and-shoot off screen action, pick-and-pop ability as a screener
-Pull-up ability off one or two dribbles is part of his repertoire. Can he develop shooting/scoring go-to moves off more than just one or two dribbles?
-Because of his plus-size for a forward, was easily able to shoot over smaller defenders in mid or high-post/elbow-extended situations (turning over either shoulder)
-Handle is a little loose (and a bit too high for me). If he doesn’t get his shot off cleanly (off the catch), tends to put the ball on the floor and almost overdribble, doesn’t really create separation off the dribble in one-on-one situations (heading towards the basket)
-Has everything you need to be a plus-defender at the next-level: again, good feet which allows him to slide with (and stay in front of) live dribbler(s), recover in pick-and-roll situations, serve as a help defender in the paint
-Good length, good frame; just consumed collegiate players by keeping his arms up (without fouling) and staying in front of opponents

Outside of the defensive capabilities, we’re again looking at “tall Ray Allen.” Not terrible, but likely his upside. Likely won’t become a great rim finisher, but will serve as a great natural floor spacer. 

• Upvote 1

I question his ability to play off ball.  If you put the ball in his hands, you take away what Fultz and Suggs do best.  Are you better with someone who can play off ball and keep developing Fultz/Suggs or take Paolo and make Fultz/Suggs less effective?  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I question his ability to play off ball.  If you put the ball in his hands, you take away what Fultz and Suggs do best.  Are you better with someone who can play off ball and keep developing Fultz/Suggs or take Paolo and make Fultz/Suggs less effective?  

that's why I have Paolo 3rd. I have the most confidence in Franz & Markelle and want to ball in their hands. we can build around those 2 players (+ WCj). Jabari (& Chet) playing off ball & providing space for those driving lanes will be so money. With all 3 prospects so close to each other, fit comes into the equation. 

7 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with the premise that a team like ours could use Paolo's offensive creation more than anything but here are some things to consider about our offense:

Its really hard to judge our offense when we had so many injuries and G League players cycling in and out.

Fultz will hopefully play all season next year and he should improve the offense and make every one else's lives easier. 

Some guys will hopefully take a step forward. With Cole and Suggs having to create less playing alongside Fultz some they might be more efficient, we might see some improvement from those guys and from Franz, RJ etc.

T Ross will most likely be gone and he had a horrendous shooting year last year. 

Like I say I'm certainly not against drafting Paolo, I have him at 2 and I have all the top 3 very close together, but I could see how the offense could improve regardless of who we pick. 

59 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with the premise that a team like ours could use Paolo's offensive creation more than anything but here are some things to consider about our offense:

Its really hard to judge our offense when we had so many injuries and G League players cycling in and out.

Fultz will hopefully play all season next year and he should improve the offense and make every one else's lives easier. 

Some guys will hopefully take a step forward. With Cole and Suggs having to create less playing alongside Fultz some they might be more efficient, we might see some improvement from those guys and from Franz, RJ etc.

T Ross will most likely be gone and he had a horrendous shooting year last year. 

Like I say I'm certainly not against drafting Paolo, I have him at 2 and I have all the top 3 very close together, but I could see how the offense could improve regardless of who we pick. 

I don’t have Paolo number 1 on my board currently, but I’m trying to explore all viable  options.

And that would be my argument for us drafting Paolo number 1 and I think it’s a solid justification. 

I also understand justifications  that are regularly made for Chet and Jabari as well. 

In my opinion the top 3 are so close. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

I don’t have Paolo number 1 on my board currently, but I’m trying to explore all viable  options.

And that would be my argument for us drafting Paolo number 1 and I think it’s a solid justification. 

I also understand justifications  that are regularly made for Chet and Jabari as well. 

In my opinion the top 3 are so close. 

Probably five years from now we won’t think they were close but right now it’s anyones guess as to which one(s), if any, will turn into a star.  As we’re seeing, except in the rare year where there is one obvious standout at #1, there is no guarantee that even getting first pick will make a huge difference for your team, especially considering how bad you have to be to be in the running for first pick.