CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

https://kingsherald.com/articles/sacramento-kings-nba-draft-rumors-shaedon-sharpe-workout/
Very interesting article about Sharpe and the Kings …article saying Sac management is on the last year of their contract and need to produce a winner next year …but they like Sharpe who does have risk value …something tells me that 4th pick on draft night is gonna have a little drama one way or another 

They already brought Sharpe in for an interview 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Ive said it before that I think this is low hanging fruit for Chet. Get him with NBA calibre strength and conditioning coaches and nutritionists and let him focus on his body and game full time for the first time in his life and I don't know whether he'll gain a tonne of weight but he'll get stronger and with added strength could very well come more explosiveness, which could potentially make him a better half court creator and maybe even a better rim protector if that's possible. Along with the obvious benefits of strength like post defense, screen setting (he already sets good screens I think, he's not shy about contact for a skinny guy but whether that translates to the pros we'll see), battling for rebounds etc. 

and if we had given Shaq and Dwight NBA caliber shooting coaches they could have made free throws?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, J-Mac said:

If we do draft sharpe, he would play the 2 wouldn’t he, so why wouldn’t we go after a combo guard like Ivey who just might be the best player in this draft in a few yrs?

For me Sharpe's allure is his ability to play without dominating the ball.  When you have Suggs and Fultz to handle the rock, I'd rather take a swing on the guy that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective.  That's why I don't see Paolo as a great fit either.  Watching Sharpe highlights, his basketball IQ allows him to move without the ball in a way that gets him open looks.  That's the skill that might be the most exciting to me.  I don't see that in Ivey. 

17 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

and if we had given Shaq and Dwight NBA caliber shooting coaches they could have made free throws?

Learning an actual skill and gaining weight/strength aren't really comparable though. Unless Chet's body is just genetically predisposed to not gaining weight in some way becoming stronger is simply a matter of nutrition and exercise. 

Now it is possible Chet's genetics will prevent him from adding meaningful weight, I won't argue it's not. It's also possible he's just a skinny kid who's been playing basketball every day for the past 10 years or whatever whilst also having a growth spurt to the 99.9th percentile of human height and he's never really had the guidance to keep up with that nutritionally. He probably needs to be eating like 6000+ calories a day to gain weight with the amount of cardio he does on a daily basis at his size. 

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

For me Sharpe's allure is his ability to play without dominating the ball.  When you have Suggs and Fultz to handle the rock, I'd rather take a swing on the guy that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective.  That's why I don't see Paolo as a great fit either.  Watching Sharpe highlights, his basketball IQ allows him to move without the ball in a way that gets him open looks.  That's the skill that might be the most exciting to me.  I don't see that in Ivey. 

Could you please provide more Sharpe film?  I’ve only been able to find 2 full games on YouTube (one he plays vs Vertical and the other is against Wasatch). 

I’ve also seen the game highlights against Prolific Prep where he gets frankly out played and hustled by MJ Rice (Kansas Commitment). 

Sharpe vs MJ Rice. Rice is 6-5 220lbs, was the 28th ranked recruit nationally and is committed to Kansas. 

This is just an extended game highlight, but I think most would agree Rice won the individual battle and the game. I would love to see the full game if somebody could find. 

To date I’ve watched (2 full games, 2 extended game highlights) which is all I can find on YouTube.  

My feelings on Sharpe is he’s extremely athletic (vertically), and can shoot the 3 well. 

However, he doesn’t move without the ball on O. He just stands at the 3 point line the crashes the glass for put back dunks. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to break his defender down off the dribble, he doesn’t box out and plays defense sparingly. 

I know many on this board love him and I honestly respect your opinions. Sharpe just doesn’t do it for me and I don’t think he’s wRoth trading back into the first for. And certainly not worth drafting at 1. 

My evaluations have been wrong before (for example, I was in love with Dante Exum and didn’t like Darrius Garland) and I’m the first to admit that. I just don’t see it with Sharpe and don’t understand the hype after watching film and not just his highlights of dunks and deep 3’s. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I’m a Jabari fan, but that was an interesting video. Thanks for posting, really showed a lot about Chet’s mentality and determination to be great. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

That’s why Jabari and Chet need to be in the discussion, too. Meanwhile, yes, Paulo and Ivey both need the ball in their hands to maximize their skills.

30 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I just can’t shake what Mike Schmitz said about Chet: “Chet’s the best prospect I’ve ever scouted.” I mean that’s nuts. Think about that comment. I think I’m down for Jabari or Chet at #1… or Donovan. Ha!

Edit - And keep in mind I called him “Twiggy” for months. I don’t like his body, but given that he’s a perimeter power forward (imho), I think I can live with the injury risk because of the upside.

3 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I just can’t shake what Mike Schmitz said about Chet: “Chet’s the best prospect I’ve ever scouted.” I mean that’s nuts. Think about that comment. I think I’m down for Jabari or Chet at #1… or Donovan. Ha!

Edit - And keep in mind I called him “Twiggy” for months. I don’t like his body, but given that he’s a perimeter power forward (imho), I think I can live with the injury risk because of the upside.

I’m the same Soul.

I’ve called Chet a twig, I’ve said he’s an injury concern, I’ve said he only plays well against lesser competition (this was after the Memphis game). 

But some highly respected people, who aren’t just talking heads (talking about you Steven A Smith), but actually study tape call him best in the draft, generational, and as you mention Schmit said best he’s ever scouted. 

This prompted me to rewatch a bunch of Chet’s full games (about have halfway through my review currently).

I’m still in Jabari’s corner, but I’m starting to see their points on Chet. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Sharpe vs MJ Rice. Rice is 6-5 220lbs, was the 28th ranked recruit nationally and is committed to Kansas. 

This is just an extended game highlight, but I think most would agree Rice won the individual battle and the game. I would love to see the full game if somebody could find. 

To date I’ve watched (2 full games, 2 extended game highlights) which is all I can find on YouTube.  

My feelings on Sharpe is he’s extremely athletic (vertically), and can shoot the 3 well. 

However, he doesn’t move without the ball on O. He just stands at the 3 point line the crashes the glass for put back dunks. He doesn’t seem to have the ability to break his defender down off the dribble, he doesn’t box out and plays defense sparingly. 

I know many on this board love him and I honestly respect your opinions. Sharpe just doesn’t do it for me and I don’t think he’s wRoth trading back into the first for. And certainly not worth drafting at 1. 

My evaluations have been wrong before (for example, I was in love with Dante Exum and didn’t like Darrius Garland) and I’m the first to admit that. I just don’t see it with Sharpe and don’t understand the hype after watching film and not just his highlights of dunks and deep 3’s. 

Here’s 16 minutes of game film from what looks like the same tournament you referenced …was a great game …down to the end …Sharpe has a chance to tie it with a 3 but as the announcer said it looked as if he bobbled the ball on the way up …winner made the Championship game …and his off ball movement I’m not worried about …I can provide comments from people in the know if you wish.

And I’m assuming nobody could provide any gym strength data …at least nobody has to this point …I know at the combine the bench is one of the variables …I’d say in dissecting Chets game that is extremely important …I mean if he can’t even bench press his body weight how in the heck is he gonna bang with grown men …at 190 lbs ????

Sheeesh …as I said earlier look at what is going on in the NBA Finals right now physically and picture Chet and his frame/weight trying to set screens or bang down low and if he isn’t even strong on top of that …the physicality is immense !

Anybody that can provide Chet strength measurements I’m all ears …and it is highly relevant imo …I looked and could find nothing …probably nobody wants people to find out