CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

34 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Allow me to clarify, I wasn’t saying don’t draft Chet because of Victor. I believe Welham should draft whoever is BPA on their board. It’s an ill-advised strategy to not draft best player available when you were as bad as we were last year. 

I’m just saying Victor is better than Chet which is pretty wild since most analyst consider Chet the number 1 prospect. Some even consider him a generational talent. 

In regards to Scoot, I know the name, but haven’t dug into his game yet. 

Gotcha. 

To give you an idea on Scoot, he just averaged 14/5/5 in the G league despite the fact that he was 17 for half the season. At next year's draft he'll be 19 with 2 years of pro experience. Biggest knock at the moment seems to be the 3 point jumper but that's almost to be expected considering he made the jump from HS 3 point distance straight to NBA distance. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Good find, and does make me feel a little better about his potential on D.

Yea my only real issue is using "increased effort" as a way he can improve. In my experience most guys who are great defenders always bring effort all the time. 

Saying that though, we've seen someone like Ben Simmons look like one of the least interested defensive players ever in college and is (when he plays) one of the best defenders in the NBA. 

But I guess with Banchero's offensive upside you don't ever need him to be much better than "good enough to not be exploited in the playoffs" on defense anyway.  

EDIT: admittedly"good enough to not be exploited in the playoffs" could actually be quite a high bar depending on matchups and roster construction etc. 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

You have to look at form …the article suggested if he concentrated on it more he’d be perfect 3-level scorer …he tore it up shooting wise in his Pro Day 

lol i downvoted that because you disagreed with the facts i posted and elevated opinion to be more relevant then factual play against talent. Example people can look good all day by themselves. I used to live next door to Greg Kite. 50% CAREER FT SHOOTER. He nailed like 20 FT in a row when i would play against him. He was money all day against a 13 year old and one of his kids.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

lol i downvoted that because you disagreed with the facts i posted and elevated opinion to be more relevant then factual play against talent. Example people can look good all day by themselves. I used to live next door to Greg Kite. 50% CAREER FT SHOOTER. He nailed like 20 FT in a row when i would play against him. He was money all day against a 13 year old and one of his kids.

I did not disagree with the facts …he shot 18 in one league …but 36 on more shot attempts in the other …I’m not concerned at all with his shooting …I can see form …shooting is a skill he won’t have to be taught in the league .

And on the upvote downvote thing …if I see somebody post something and I wanna respond I will …but I’m not giving a guy a downvote because his opinion is different than mine …sheeesh Nate 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

12 games Dream City 18% from three

12 Games EYBL 36.4% from three

Taken together 24 games at 27% for three in HS

This isn't how math works I'm afraid. Unless he took exactly the same number of attempts in each set of 12 games.

You'd need to know the makes and attempts for both to work out the percentage.

14 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I did not disagree with the facts …he shot 18 in one league …but 36 on more shot attempts in the other …I’m not concerned at all with his shooting …I can see form …shooting is a skill he won’t have to be taught in the league .

And on the upvote downvote thing …if I see somebody post something and I wanna respond I will …but I’m not giving a guy a downvote because his opinion is different than mine …sheeesh Nate 

I just wanted to let you know. I also upvote alot your anyways to offset. I'm probably singlehandley gotten your + to 21

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This isn't how math works I'm afraid. Unless he took exactly the same number of attempts in each set of 12 games.

You'd need to know the makes and attempts for both to work out the percentage.

I was averaging the two statistics from two leagues not his overall attempts - your correct i did say HS but they should be two different leagues.

i believe it was 3-16 in one and 28-of-77 in the other so as far as attempts it would be 33.3% but because they were two different leagues at vastly different times i wouldnt combine them as just an extension of playing one year in college and then a 2nd year. Its more like 1 year in college then one year in G-league - you dont combine 200attempts in college and 100 in gleague and then combine total attempts and say he's averaged X% in his career.

9 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

I just wanted to let you know. I also upvote alot your anyways to offset. I'm probably singlehandley gotten your + to 21

Ok Nate …but yeah, every message board I post none of these players have consensus …all 3 have about equal support …probably Banchero a little less …but with still 3 weeks to go that gives my guy Sharpe time to make his impression and keep climbing …as Wilbur said not much criticism of his talent …just his sample size …and I still maintain we had no visual examples when we drafted Howard 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Gotcha. 

To give you an idea on Scoot, he just averaged 14/5/5 in the G league despite the fact that he was 17 for half the season. At next year's draft he'll be 19 with 2 years of pro experience. Biggest knock at the moment seems to be the 3 point jumper but that's almost to be expected considering he made the jump from HS 3 point distance straight to NBA distance. 

Thanks for this info, it’s appreciated.