CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, J Roc Baby said:

From the sound of it that's Sharpe. It's not terribly common to see a guy make THIS MUCH of a fuss about going #1 in spite of a small track record this often. And whether that's ego because he wants more money or if it's (as borrowed from GTA V) the Lamar Davis school of thought of "I don't care what it is, if there's **** to be won I want MY name on it." The front office has to see for itself if Sharpe is simply spoiled and entitled overgrown child like the character I'm mentioning and wants it with as little work as possible or if that's how he approaches everything because he's THAT ruthless and competitive in a good way like many legends before him in spite of his limited track record. Although if this was the case, why the hell didn't you play? And yet you're not THIS GOOD without absolutely busting your ass.

It's a real pickle. It sucks because as a fan that's all I really have to go off of

If this was Zion coming out of high school I can definitely see Orlando being serious with taking him number 1 because of all the buzz he came with. I just don’t see that with Sharpe, Orlando will most likely play it safe and ride with the backcourt we have already 

Another item of note, because of when/how we signed Devin Cannady to a "remainder of season" contract with years 2-3 unguaranteed; he is technically still on the roster until we waive him. He is unguaranteed until 1/10/23, so we could waive him with no penalty at any time up to the end of the year. As I recall, he actually was playing very well for us as a backup combo guard before his injury in 2020-21. With Harris being a free agent, and us possibly looking at Ivey or Sharpe, I expect that no action will be taken with his contract until training camp/last day to make roster changes before the season starts. Sometimes it is the little things like this that makes you realize our FO may be smarter than we give them credit for. 

I thought we covered why he didn't play.  Wasn't the explanation as follows:

1. He plays in Canada and wasn't a top 10 recruit until he hit the summer circuit and dominated.

2. His advisors apparently misunderstood his high school eligibility in Canada.  My guess is they were caught a bit flat footed when he blew up over the summer.   

3. When they find out Canada considers him to be in a 5th year and won't be eligible for playoffs they call UK and ask if he can come early.  Why not he's graduated and needs better competition to develop.  

4. Cal says he has a scholarship, but is worried about promises he has made to his current freshmen.  Cal tries to resolve both issues by saying you can come but you won't play.  Sharpe agrees to come and practice.

5. Sharpe's team and Cal agree he will only practice.  Cal protects his current crop of freshmen and Sharpe's team can start hyping him for the NBA lottery a year earlier than they expected. If it doesn't work they come back to UK and play a year per the original plan.  

6. UK has injuries and fans decide they'd rather play Sharpe than the remaining guys on the bench even if Cal might have promised them playing time. 

7. Whether it was Cal or Sharpe's team, someone said there was a commitment to not playing and we aren't going to alter the commitment.  Cal releases a statement saying after talking to Sharpe's parents, Sharpe will not play.  

https://www.zagsblog.com/2022/05/19/kentuckys-tyty-washington-says-shaedon-sharpe-made-a-business-decision-not-to-play-this-season-for-wildcats/

Kentucky guard TyTy Washington said Shaedon Sharpe made a “business” decision not to play for Kentucky this season and that he respects it. But he also believes the 6-foot-6 Sharpe was “frustrated” that he didn’t play and could’ve helped the Wildcats.  “Any kid that plays basketball, wants to play. Nobody wants to just sit around and practice every day and then go to the games and watch his teammates play. Nobody wants to go through all that bumping and grinding, lifting, all that heavy stuff and not play. So I’m pretty sure in the back of his mind, he really wanted to play. I know if that was me in that situation, I would’ve wanted to play.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/shaedon-sharpe-has-stepped-on-the-gas-in-practice-teammates-want-him-to-play/

“He does something, they all kind of look at me like, ‘Come on now. That’s who he is, put him in,'” Calipari said. “But you got to make sure you’re looking after him.”  “What does he do? He scores the ball,” Calipari said. 

This is the thing about discussing Sharpe.  The discussion is never about his ability to play the game.  It is about where he played (or didn't play) the game.  I guess I understand it because the others at the top of the draft all played college ball, but each of those three get their games disected and their weaknesses discussed.  With Sharpe, it seems to come down to what's between his ears. 

• Upvote 1

While Sharpe’s shot “looks” good, can someone provide his 3PT% from high school, AAU and key tournaments? Honestly, I’m too tired to go hunting. I’m asking based on the 18% I read a couple of pages ago.

“This year, there does not seem to be a "clear-cut" favorite as to who the best overall prospect in the draft class is, yet the Magic are zeroing in on Jabari Smith Jr. out of Auburn, sources tell SI Fastbreak. 

Standing about 6-foot-10 with a near 7-2 wingspan, Smith possesses a unique skillset of scoring and potential to defend virtually any position on the floor.

Arguably the most talented scorer at the top of the draft, Jabari Smith has a chance to grow into an All-Star-like offensive talent very quickly in this league, something Orlando desperately needs at either forward position right now.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/.amp/rumors/2022-nba-draft-intel-orlando-magic-zeroing-in-on-no-1-overall-pick

If Jabari does become Rashard Lewis with defense like some have talked about, I take that every day of the week at number 1. It doesn’t really solve our problem of needing THE guy, but would be a coup compared to what most top picks turn out to be

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jonathan-isaac-1.html

Smith and Issac are almost identical players …same size, one is better offensively …the other better defensively …just like you guys assume you can’t depend on him in the future …you can’t assume he won’t get back to normal either …just something to think about as the draft nears 

Edit: Smith was ranked 4th in his draft class …Isaac was 7th…depending on which recruiting site you value 

I’ve gone back and watched several full games from Chet and Jabari so far. I choose games where they played against NBA level talent. Not specially ranked teams, but teams that had NBA level talent at their positions. 

I plan to do this for Paolo and Ivey as well. 

I plan to do a full review of each prospect, but my biggest take away to date is Auburns guards suck. They are always looking for their own shot, unless it’s a designed play. 

I’ve counted 1 open shot for Jabari off of an assist so far. Their ball moment was horrendous. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

“This year, there does not seem to be a "clear-cut" favorite as to who the best overall prospect in the draft class is, yet the Magic are zeroing in on Jabari Smith Jr. out of Auburn, sources tell SI Fastbreak. 

Standing about 6-foot-10 with a near 7-2 wingspan, Smith possesses a unique skillset of scoring and potential to defend virtually any position on the floor.

Arguably the most talented scorer at the top of the draft, Jabari Smith has a chance to grow into an All-Star-like offensive talent very quickly in this league, something Orlando desperately needs at either forward position right now.”

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/.amp/rumors/2022-nba-draft-intel-orlando-magic-zeroing-in-on-no-1-overall-pick

And with the number 1 pick, the Orlando Magic select: Jabari Smith Jr.

I get wanting to look beyond the 3 bigs, as bigs are usually overvalued in drafts: 

"So … do you want to pick from the bin that provided 27 All-Stars or the bin that gave us three?" https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/

I'm just curious why all the love for picking a non-big seems to be for Sharpe and no one seems to want Ivey?

8 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

I get wanting to look beyond the 3 bigs, as bigs are usually overvalued in drafts: 

"So … do you want to pick from the bin that provided 27 All-Stars or the bin that gave us three?" https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/

I'm just curious why all the love for picking a non-big seems to be for Sharpe and no one seems to want Ivey?

I brought up Ivey several times he’s a stud. Cuz he’s a big ten player, not much love on this board for them.