CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

18 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2022/5/31/23137795/shaedon-sharpe-2022-nba-draft-kentucky-wildcats-news

One thing that could not be denied from the beginning is the elite talent that Shaedon Sharpe possesses.

I obviously was never able to see him in live game-action, but being on the floor pregame and watching him handle the ball it was beyond evident that he’s special.

Sharpe has just about everything tangible trait that you could want in a modern day shooting-guard.

For starters, his athleticism is out of this world.

Just a few weeks ago, Sharpe posted the highest vertical leap of any player in NBA history.

At 49 inches, it literally was measured as the top recorded attempt, even ahead of Michael Jordan.

Then there’s the less tangible attribute that is his tremendous feel for the game.

Last summer, Shaedon Sharpe went on a rampage destroying his same-age competition and really began separating himself from the other players in the class.

In videos that he’s posted online, you can see his effortless footwork and ability to use his 6-foot-5 inch height advantage to shoot over pretty much any one-on-one defensive effort.

Your last paragraph is important. He’s posting these videos online, so obviously he’s only going to showcase his best. 

2 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

Your last paragraph is important. He’s posting these videos online, so obviously he’s only going to showcase his best. 

We were discussing this earlier today …yeah the vids are tailor made to showcase his talent …and the last paragraph is the writer not me …but there are loads of HS video online of Sharpe in live game action …we never saw anything on Howard …probably not Penny either but mostly because he was at a smaller school …there is absolutely nobody that denies his talent …it’s greater than anyone in this draft …can he be a bust ? Yes …But this drought the Magic are in is over a decade now …and we’re still searching for another star …up to Weltham …if they think Smith is a future star then let’s roll …Weltham’s call …this draft is crucial for the franchise 

1 minute ago, ball junkie said:

We were discussing this earlier today …yeah the vids are tailor made to showcase his talent …and the last paragraph is the writer not me …but there are loads of HS video online of Sharpe in live game action …we never saw anything on Howard …probably not Penny either but mostly because he was at a smaller school …there is absolutely nobody that denies his talent …it’s greater than anyone in this draft …can he be a bust ? Yes …But this drought the Magic are in is over a decade now …and we’re still searching for another star …up to Weltham …if they think Smith is a future star then let’s roll …Weltham’s call …this draft is crucial for the franchise 

I agree that Sharpe could be the best player from the class. His talent appears undeniable from HS tape, but it’s too much of a risk in my opinion to draft him 1 or trade out of the first pick for him. 

I think a safer option with still a huge potential upside is Hardy in the early 20’s. Plus trading into early 20’s is much more achievable than into top 8.  

For me it’s risk management and asset protection that makes Sharpe unobtainable. 

I wish Sharpe would be willing to compete 3 vs 3 (like Jalen Williams just did) or do something in a competitive setting to display his alpha attitude in the pre-draft process. Sure, I’m sure his advisors are telling him not to do so, but given his peculiar case, it’s a red flag for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

So I told you guys I post on UK message boards …Am a UK fan also duh …so tonight they are saying Sharpe is gonna make an official announcement that he is staying in the draft …so some guy starts this thread …I’m gonna copy and paste for you …just to give you an example of the angst UK fans feel toward Sharpe :

Some of you clowns are going to post the first time he nets 50 in a game, or a tweet where he wins the dunk contest and looks like Vince Carter out there. 

Can we please implement a rule right now where no future highlights are allowed on this message board and where any fan who posts a highlight is given a month probationary ban?

I can't take it. It's one thing to have the kid use our program and throw us away like we're a cheap convenience store blanket, but it's entirely another thing to have fans rub salt in the wound over the next decade by posting updates on the first time Sharpe nets 50 points in a game or how many all-star votes he gets.

You can buy blankets at convenience stores in Kentucky?  Why?

• Upvote 1

I know I’ve said it before and I don’t want to be a broken record, but my dream off-season is:

Draft Jabari Smith at 1  

Release:  Bamba, Bol and Admiral 

Resigns Gary Harris, Iggy and Robin 

Trade Cole, Ross, Chuma, both seconds, our 2023 1st, Chi 2023 first, our 2025 first and Denver’s 2025 first to Utah for Donovan Mitchell and Royce O’Neil.

This would give us a depth chart of:

PG: Fultz, Suggs, RJ 

SG: Mitchell, Harris, RJ 

SF: Franz, O’Neil, Iggy 

PF: Jabari, Issac, Mo Wagner 

C: Wendell, Robin, Mo Wagner 

23 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I wish Sharpe would be willing to compete 3 vs 3 (like Jalen Williams just did) or do something in a competitive setting to display his alpha attitude in the pre-draft process. Sure, I’m sure his advisors are telling him not to do so, but given his peculiar case, it’s a red flag for me.

Huh ? …I’m absolutely positive when the Magic bring him in he will be scrimmaging against some of the current team members …just like Penny …just like Dwight …if he blows up could be another decade long drought …again …we need a star ! desperately ! If we ever wanna get in the championship hunt again 

Edit: yeah I hear you Wilbur lol

19 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Huh ? …I’m absolutely positive when the Magic bring him in he will be scrimmaging against some of the current team members …just like Penny …just like Dwight …if he blows up could be another decade long drought …again …we need a star ! desperately ! If we ever wanna get in the championship hunt again 

Junkie, from everything I’ve read, Sharpe’s declined to work out except by himself in the pre-draft process. And while I know you keep referencing Dwight, Dwight made it a point to publicly compete leading up to the 2004 draft, playing in the Roundball Classic and Jordan Classic against some of the other top draft picks that year: https://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Select_Howard-112523-66.html?amp=1.

And just to add more color to the Dwight situation, while Howard did not go to a big high school, he played on one of the best AAU teams ever with the likes of Josh Smith and others: https://www.legendssf.com/blogs/legends-blog/14491885-10-best-aau-basketball-teams-ever.

In other words, Dwight was a very well known commodity, though young, with articles being written about him in The NY Times and other outlets months prior to the draft. Moreover, he didn’t back down from the opportunity to compete publicly leading up to the draft. Again Sharpe may end up being a star, I just think he should show an alpha personality (if he has one) by publicly competing in some way for teams.

Soul come on man …your better than that …Sharpe played in the Peach Jam summer bash against the best players HS has to offer …that’s why he’s held in this regard right now …and yes Sharpe was the star of his AAU team …he was playing right up till October …then he committed to UK …then in January word started leaking he might be eligible for this draft …you know the rest of the story I’m tired of repeating it …I can garun dang tee you if it was your kid and you were his Dad and he had a chance to make millions you’d have told him the exact same thing …he’s 18 years old …Ty Ty Washington said the same thing if it was his kid …it was a business decision …these circumstances have no bearing on whether I think he’s a competitor or not …In fact my confidence is the opposite …and he will work out in Orlando and prove himself or they won’t draft him …simple as that …nice try smh with the Dwight stuff …and I’ll repeat …nobody saw any video on him …period ! …Sharpe has played on AAU team after AAU team with video all over the place …go to YouTube !

3 hours ago, ball junkie said:

He was UCLA best player at that time …as you can see played 4 seasons …honestly was kind of overshadowed by his famous older sister Cheryl …but was extremely skinny …he became a star much later in his career but could never get past Jordan …his forte was shooting …not sure the point you’re trying to make with Reggie ? That Smith can become a star too ? …Reggie had handles Nate …could beat you off the dribble …was a 3 way scorer …that’s the difference between a good/great player and a star I think 

My point was i was thinking Jabari was a taller Reggie Comp. Reggie did not have the handles until about his 4th year in college (22)  But his shooting prowess was right up there with Jabari's stats as a freshman and sophmore. Reggie was 6'7" and thin. Durant averaged 25pts a game in college, reggie 22pts, Jabari is 18pts. I think there is a lot of similarity in their game as outside shooters. Some of the old footage you can watch of him in 86 and a few other floating about online. I remember even watching some as a kid.

The point was i dont think there was any belief that reggie would be a superstar. When you choose Robinson as #1 pippen, KJ, lol... 

Point in your favor though he was drafted 11 not 1...lol!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Soul come on man …your better than that …Sharpe played in the Peach Jam summer bash against the best players HS has to offer …that’s why he’s held in this regard right now …and yes Sharpe was the star of his AAU team …he was playing right up till October …then he committed to UK …then in January word started leaking he might be eligible for this draft …you know the rest of the story I’m tired of repeating it …I can garun dang tee you if it was your kid and you were his Dad and he had a chance to make millions you’d have told him the exact same thing …he’s 18 years old …Ty Ty Washington said the same thing if it was his kid …it was a business decision …these circumstances have no bearing on whether I think he’s a competitor or not …In fact my confidence is the opposite …and he will work out in Orlando and prove himself or they won’t draft him …simple as that …nice try smh with the Dwight stuff …and I’ll repeat …nobody saw any video on him …period ! …Sharpe has played on AAU team after AAU team with video all over the place …go to YouTube !

I don’t understand why you keep bringing up Dwight saying no one knew about him. The whole world knew about him. This was 3 months before the draft: https://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/sports/6-11-prep-star-may-be-no-1-in-nba-draft.html. Katz, Broussard and all the scouts were flying around to watch him and writing about him. 

And circling back to Sharpe, easily the biggest critique I’ve read again and again is his camp keeps making selfie videos of him. It’s all staged. If he wants to go 1, which he says, I’d be calling to work out against Ivey, Daniels, etc. 

Edit - PS, I know this may seem idealistic, but I think it’s the kind of alpha mentality teams want to see.

• Upvote 1

You know what? I think I’m answering my own question. If I’m WeltHam, I’m inviting Sharpe, Ivey, and one or two other guards to work out against each other. I’d maybe do the same for the bigs. Why not?