CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

In point of fact, the ONLY time that the #1 pick has been traded for just other picks, and not included as part of a trade for established player(s) and other picks was the Webber/Hardaway trade. It's just that rare. 

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Philly/Boston 2017. 

I was just getting ready to edit that, I had forgotten that Boston traded #1 (which became Fultz) for #3 (Tatum), and a future pick. So it has actually happened twice. Still, twice in 75 years isn't exactly often. Even if you say twice in the last 30 years because draft rules were much different prior to the 90's. 

I think that this all is predicated on whether smith would be picked #2.

If we pick Chet and then Dangle him to Sac or Detroit or houston, would it be worth it if the final pick is actually smith PLUS value?

21 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Look, I think Jabari Smith is going to be a fantastic player, but I do question his pure scoring ability and will agree, after watching film he doesn’t look at all like Durant. 

In the highlight video below, you can see Durant had a fadeaway game and finished with finess off the dribble. If I were to watch this and make a player comp, I would say “Ceiling: Taller Tracey McGrady” (which would be correct)

Jabari does a lot of one dribble pull-ups like KD, but doesn’t have the body control KD did around the basket and certainly either looks like he needs to be more set in his shot or just naturally is more so than Durant (it’s very up and down).

If anything, as I watch Durant and I watch Jabari, I think I had a new comp for Jabari I feel comfortable with: “Ceiling: Taller Ray Allen.” Allen was a gifted pure shooter, but never had the finesse of other shot/creators.

So yeah - I’m amending my player comp from “Kevin Durant with less handles” to “Taller Ray Allen.” 

Can I again highlight for a second that I think I made a really good comp for Jabari Smith that no one seemed to agree / disagree with. 

“Taller Ray Allen.”
Reasoning above. 

I think i would have said KD coming out of college better shooting Tmac... Jabari i still think is more like a taller less athletic "Reggie MIller"

I agreed with you earlier Trey …and for reference I’m supplying both their college stats …only thing that’s comparable is 3 point percentage …which is almost equal 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-durant-1.html

Edit: Durant did everything …was a star 

35 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I agreed with you earlier Trey …and for reference I’m supplying both their college stats …only thing that’s comparable is 3 point percentage …which is almost equal 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jabari-smith-2.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-durant-1.html

Edit: Durant did everything …was a star 

Compare it to Reggie Miller

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/reggie-miller-1.html

7 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Nate …you went so far back part of Reggie’s stats are blank lol …I kid …but to me …and I’m an older fart lol …Reggie was a star also …I’m not ready to put Smith in the star category …talented nonetheless …he’d have to show things in the NBA that he hasn’t thus far in his career 

5 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Reggie was an 11th pick!

He was UCLA best player at that time …as you can see played 4 seasons …honestly was kind of overshadowed by his famous older sister Cheryl …but was extremely skinny …he became a star much later in his career but could never get past Jordan …his forte was shooting …not sure the point you’re trying to make with Reggie ? That Smith can become a star too ? …Reggie had handles Nate …could beat you off the dribble …was a 3 way scorer …that’s the difference between a good/great player and a star I think 

So I told you guys I post on UK message boards …Am a UK fan also duh …so tonight they are saying Sharpe is gonna make an official announcement that he is staying in the draft …so some guy starts this thread …I’m gonna copy and paste for you …just to give you an example of the angst UK fans feel toward Sharpe :

Some of you clowns are going to post the first time he nets 50 in a game, or a tweet where he wins the dunk contest and looks like Vince Carter out there. 

Can we please implement a rule right now where no future highlights are allowed on this message board and where any fan who posts a highlight is given a month probationary ban?

I can't take it. It's one thing to have the kid use our program and throw us away like we're a cheap convenience store blanket, but it's entirely another thing to have fans rub salt in the wound over the next decade by posting updates on the first time Sharpe nets 50 points in a game or how many all-star votes he gets.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2022/5/31/23137795/shaedon-sharpe-2022-nba-draft-kentucky-wildcats-news

One thing that could not be denied from the beginning is the elite talent that Shaedon Sharpe possesses.

I obviously was never able to see him in live game-action, but being on the floor pregame and watching him handle the ball it was beyond evident that he’s special.

Sharpe has just about everything tangible trait that you could want in a modern day shooting-guard.

For starters, his athleticism is out of this world.

Just a few weeks ago, Sharpe posted the highest vertical leap of any player in NBA history.

At 49 inches, it literally was measured as the top recorded attempt, even ahead of Michael Jordan.

Then there’s the less tangible attribute that is his tremendous feel for the game.

Last summer, Shaedon Sharpe went on a rampage destroying his same-age competition and really began separating himself from the other players in the class.

In videos that he’s posted online, you can see his effortless footwork and ability to use his 6-foot-5 inch height advantage to shoot over pretty much any one-on-one defensive effort.