CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

17 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

The sigh of relief I had when we didn't pick Chet! I think he'll be great when he can play, but I foresee a lot of downtime and a short career. His dad last a few years in college before his knees went. 82 game seasons playing against grown men is a whole different world

I guess until the season is well underway this stuff will be debated. Here is one of my final takes on this draft.

Chet was always a no go for me. We already have two seven foot phenoms on the roster. If Chet becomes a true two way player someday who can spend 35+ minutes on the floor and be at worst, the second best offensive player on a team, color me wrong. I'll eat my words if that happens. More then likely he becomes a super important role player and he is better suited for that in OKC. Good for him.

Jabari is a tough one for me i like him a lot and also loved his fit on the Magic. However, like a lot of people have said, i have a hard time seeing him as a one, meaning number one guy. Everyone acts like the 3 is the be all end all of everything. It's not and even when it is it doesn't always come from stars. A lot of non stars turn into pumpkins when the shot doesn't fall.

Go check BB reference on players like Jokic,Embiid,Luka,Gianiss. They all had to spend years to get a 3 ball and none are considered good at it. Players can get better at it and some years they can lose it too. Even Curry had a down year shooting the 3 for him. Mavs reached the WC finals because they shot the 3 well, but Luka didn't. He got all the other guys good looks. Guys none of you would have wanted if asked 3 years ago. Bullock,Finney-Smith,Hardaway Jr,Kleber. They get good looks because of Luka.

So finally my whole point of this post. We needed Banchero. We need a star and he was the most likely to be one. It's just that simple. Get a guy who becomes a force and then surround him with wings who can defend and some 3 point shooters. Have to get the Star first. Others will step up and some won't and they will be gone, but we got our star.

Now lets see who can shoot this year and who can't. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I guess until the season is well underway this stuff will be debated. Here is one of my final takes on this draft.

Chet was always a no go for me. We already have two seven foot phenoms on the roster. If Chet becomes a true two way player someday who can spend 35+ minutes on the floor and be at worst, the second best offensive player on a team, color me wrong. I'll eat my words if that happens. More then likely he becomes a super important role player and he is better suited for that in OKC. Good for him.

Jabari is a tough one for me i like him a lot and also loved his fit on the Magic. However, like a lot of people have said, i have a hard time seeing him as a one, meaning number one guy. Everyone acts like the 3 is the be all end all of everything. It's not and even when it is it doesn't always come from stars. A lot of non stars turn into pumpkins when the shot doesn't fall.

Go check BB reference on players like Jokic,Embiid,Luka,Gianiss. They all had to spend years to get a 3 ball and none are considered good at it. Players can get better at it and some years they can lose it too. Even Curry had a down year shooting the 3 for him. Mavs reached the WC finals because they shot the 3 well, but Luka didn't. He got all the other guys good looks. Guys none of you would have wanted if asked 3 years ago. Bullock,Finney-Smith,Hardaway Jr,Kleber. They get good looks because of Luka.

So finally my whole point of this post. We needed Banchero. We need a star and he was the most likely to be one. It's just that simple. Get a guy who becomes a force and then surround him with wings who can defend and some 3 point shooters. Have to get the Star first. Others will step up and some won't and they will be gone, but we got our star.

Now lets see who can shoot this year and who can't. 

I agree with much of your post.   Regarding the last sentence, though:  we’re running back exactly the same cast we had last year other than Banchero.  If they couldn’t shoot last year, probably they won’t shoot very well this year either.  

I admit I’m also a little worried about the reports of Banchero not showing much interest in the game except when he has the ball in his hands.  Jabari was very different from that standpoint.   I’ve said it before, a true star makes everyone else out on the floor with them better.  They set the example, and hold everyone else responsible.   You can’t do that unless you’re dialed in all the time.  And if the star player isn’t doing that, their bad example can actually make everyone else worse.   It can work both ways.   

• Upvote 1

Paolo's going to be awesome. I think his skills at 6'10 250 lbs is extremely unique--Ben Simmons is maybe the only guy close to that size who can run the break and pass like Paolo, I think he's got legit point forward upside. Defense will be an issue early but will probably rate out as neutral on that end over time, enough to not get hunted. Not worried about the 3 point shot at all, he was 40% off the catch, and was money from the corners.

I get that some may have hyped themselves on Jabari but he would have been a poor choice. You don't draft someone who shot only 43% on his twos, can't dribble and offers no rim pressure because he lives entirely off jumpers that high. Good role player and defensive talent but the expectations on him to be an apex scorer would have been immense when he's just not that type of guy.

WHAT IF......WHO WOULD HAVE BEEN THE PLAYER WE SELECT THIS YEAR?

If in last year's draft, the Raptors pick Suggs instead of Scottie Barnes.....and by default we select Barnes and Franz.....WHO WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR BEST OPTION?

4 hours ago, JJZFL said:

I agree with much of your post.   Regarding the last sentence, though:  we’re running back exactly the same cast we had last year other than Banchero.  If they couldn’t shoot last year, probably they won’t shoot very well this year either.  

I admit I’m also a little worried about the reports of Banchero not showing much interest in the game except when he has the ball in his hands.  Jabari was very different from that standpoint.   I’ve said it before, a true star makes everyone else out on the floor with them better.  They set the example, and hold everyone else responsible.   You can’t do that unless you’re dialed in all the time.  And if the star player isn’t doing that, their bad example can actually make everyone else worse.   It can work both ways.   

THIS 100 TIMES THIS!

We couldn't shoot last year, adding Paolo a 33% 3pt shooter does not help our team in shooting, where the #1 thing in the last 5 years was our "shooting" literally if we could have made a 3 or 4 percent change in 3pt percentage would have probably made us an 8th seed.

1 minute ago, Natesroom said:

THIS 100 TIMES THIS!

We couldn't shoot last year, adding Paolo a 33% 3pt shooter does not help our team in shooting.

Paolo can shoot and will shoot better. Mike miller is his *****ing agent and coach. We just hired lethal shooter who is the best shooting coach on the planet. We are going to be fine

What coaches had to say on Banchero:

"He's the most complete of those top three guys, especially on the offensive end. He's not a great defender, he's going to have to continue to evolve as an offensive player, so he doesn't get caught positionally as an old-school power forward. I think he's got more wing potential, kind of in a poor man's Carmelo Anthony mold. He needs to find a way to play to that instead of playing to like, I don't know, a Paul Millsap. I understand the pick because guys like him, with that skill level -- although you can look at a guy like Jabari Parker, who was like that and picked second but was out of the league quickly -- but on a team with more upside athlete players, he can be more of a polished skillful player and be able to come in and make a big impact and put points on the board."

"I thought he was a No. 1-caliber pick since Peach Jam in 2019. The versatility, the ability to make plays with the ball at his size. Good passer, can play in the post, can play facing the basket. He's such a mismatch problem, whether it's guarding him with a bigger guy or smaller guy. He's got more toughness than people give him credit for. I think he's a really tough player."

"It went in the exact order I'd rank it. Paolo 1, Chet 2, Jabari 3. Paolo can handle the ball, you could put him in middle pick-and-roll, he can be the screen-setter, he can see over the defense, he's a phenomenal passer. Offensively, he can do a little bit of everything, gets to the free throw line at a high rate. He did a good job of rebounding his position, he can be a grab-and-go guy."

Coaches on Smith:

"Jabari is going to be a great prospect. But offensively he's a jump-shooter ... just a jump-shooter. Paolo is further ahead and probably a little bit more ready. Jabari is a better down-the-line prospect based on his real potential as a 3-point shooter and rim protector. And he's a better rebounder than he gets credit for."

"He's as talented as anybody in the draft. His shooting form is impeccable, he was a 40% 3-point shooter at his size. On the defensive end, he's switchable, keeps guys in front, can guard one through five in the college game. In the NBA, you're going to be able to utilize his defensive versatility, put him on a four or a two depending on matchup. He's a righty, but wasn't overly confident handling the ball, even with his right hand. He doesn't utilize the dribble. He's essentially a spot-up shooter right now. To get to that next level, he has to work on ball handling. He has to be able to handle the ball in traffic."

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34137661/college-basketball-coaches-2022-nba-draft-best-values-biggest-drops
Said the same things about Holmgren we say here …the upside and the body 

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

THIS 100 TIMES THIS!

We couldn't shoot last year, adding Paolo a 33% 3pt shooter does not help our team in shooting, where the #1 thing in the last 5 years was our "shooting" literally if we could have made a 3 or 4 percent change in 3pt percentage would have probably made us an 8th seed.

He finished the year shooting 53% from the the 3, while carrying his team on his back to the Final Four. Plus, you tell by his shooting form (especially spot up shooting) that he can improve as a shooter.