CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

4 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I like Cole Anthony starting at PG now that we have Paolo. We’d be playing like the Celtics, with two wings who can create some. Our young guys are better at ball handling than theirs to be fair.

And Cole won’t be able to be a ball hog because we just brought in a blue chip #1 pick.

Fultz can run the 2nd unit

Fultz should be starting and I don’t see why he won’t be come opening night. The team just looks that much better with him running the point. That pick and roll with Fultz and Paolo is going to be pretty unstoppable.

4 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I think a part of my thinking Paolo doesn’t want to be here is that Paolo just has resting “I’m not excited” face. 

Haven't seen him smiling much myself too.....is it the pressure of being a #1?

8 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Holie s#¥€t …can we tank again …oh my goodness …talk about multiple championships 

Yes, the Magic should be "TANKING IT EASY" one more year.....

The Power Ranking has us at #27...meaning that we could be the 4th worst team....meaning that we have a great chance to win the lottery again.....this is one of the goals the team has next season.

22 hours ago, VoiceofReason said:

One would have to believe that Banchero was our pick all along.  We had nothing to lose by trying to get other teams to believe we wanted Jabari (esp OKC and Houston). If Houston had their sites set on Jabari they would've made the move to trade with us and we could've grabbed Banchero @ 3.  Not working Banchero out help support we were all in on Jabari or Chet. We knew OKC was all in on Chet.  Houston either didn't bite because they had Banchero rated above Jabari, or we didn't trust they were moving up to draft Jabari and would've lost out on our guy. It was worth the dog and pony show to try to get more asset's.

I have a bigger issue with us squandering and selling second round picks every year! 2nd's can be combined to move up. Are we so strapped for cash we have to sell them?

Great analysis !!!    Hard to believe that OKC and Houston FO's didn't want Jabari....it was appeared happened.  We'll hear a bit more about this drama that the King of Drama / Jeff Weltman orchestrated in the 2022 draft.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Great analysis !!!    Hard to believe that OKC and Houston FO's didn't want Jabari....it was appeared happened.  We'll hear a bit more about this drama that the King of Drama / Jeff Weltman orchestrated in the 2022 draft.

Thanks Albert! 

4 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

The Power Ranking has us at #27...meaning that we could be the 4th worst team....meaning that we have a great chance to win the lottery again.....this is one of the goals the team has next season.

Fabulous. Let’s throw away another season and screw up the young player development some more for a 15% chance of landing the first pick.  

Tanking really is like an addiction.

Edit:  Sorry.  14% chance.

Bonus:  Demoralize further your fan base which had gotten a little excited about who we just drafted.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

This guy is a franchise type player.  No debate on #1 next year.  I can see why Power Ranking has us at #27 but IF we are healthy they are "brain dead" with that ranking.  I still remember the 2020 Covid playoffs at Disney. We were NO #27 then.  Anybody else remember how impressive/dominant we were before Isaac's injury.  Fultz and Isaac were magical.  OK so we lose Vucevic and Fournier and add Suggs, Wagner, Carter, Anthony, Okeke and now Banchero so which team is better if Fultz and Isaac are healthy?  If Fultz and Isaac are magical again, Fultz and Banchero can be lethal.  I know it may take awhile but this has the potential to be a nightmare for other teams.  I read Banchero might be able to play some 5.  Isaac, Banchero, Wagner and Fultz at the same time....Good luck NBA.  If by some streak of incredible luck (unlikely since I think we are playoff bound) we get pick #1 we will win an NBA title or two or three.

Alright in the past couple of days I've watched (or re-watched) 3 full Duke games. The Gonzaga game. The game @FSU and the UNC final four game. 

I think the defensive concerns around Paolo are definitely warranted. In fact I think I have concerns about everything he does without the ball in his hands. 

Defensively it just feels like he sleep walks through possessions. In the 3 games I saw missed rotations, missed assignments, lackadaisical close outs, ball watching instead of boxing out (Leaky Black had like 4 OREBs in the final 4 game because Paolo was ball watching). The thing is i've also seen him switch on to guards and keep them in front, make great contests at the rim, use his quick hands to strip the ball down low and make good rotations on help defense. He can do it and he's got all the tools to do it. He's not Vuc where he just lacks the physical tools to have an impact I think he can at least get to the point where he doesn't hurt you on defense. I hope the culture that Mosely has started to instill here of hustling and working hard and making winning plays can rub off on him a little on that end.

On offense he's not super active without the ball, he's not running hard to fill the lanes in transition, he's not cutting hard off ball or rolling hard after setting a screen. Im not super concerned about that though to be honest, he's had the ball in his hands his whole life he probably hasn't ever had to consider playing off ball and I think he'll learn quickly that he can score a lot of easy points by moving off ball on this team playing with some of our guys who are really great passers (Fultz, Suggs, Franz, WCJ). 

The handle is good but it's not elite. For a 6'10 PF its definitely well above average but I wouldn't trust him to consistently handle the ball full court against pressure. He picked the ball up early and had the ball stripped on a dribble move a couple of times. He's definitely going to need to play with a real PG at least at first. 

All that said the good stuff is incredibly special. I buy the jumper massively, he makes 20 footers off the dribble (and not 1 dribble but like a string of dribble moves) so I really don't worry about him becoming a good 3 point shooter as he develops. The passing is special, lobs, drop offs, kick outs, hit a heads in transition, extra passes. He scored 21 points in a half against Gonzaga and looked genuinely un-guardable (but then he didn't score in the second half...). He's so difficult to stop getting to the rim when he finds a driving lane. As a transition ball handler he's terrific with his combination of physical attributes + handle+ passing. 

I'm super excited to see him play in the NBA. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Alright in the past couple of days I've watched (or re-watched) 3 full Duke games. The Gonzaga game. The game @FSU and the UNC final four game. 

I think the defensive concerns around Paolo are definitely warranted. In fact I think I have concerns about everything he does without the ball in his hands. 

Defensively it just feels like he sleep walks through possessions. In the 3 games I saw missed rotations, missed assignments, lackadaisical close outs, ball watching instead of boxing out (Leaky Black had like 4 OREBs in the final 4 game because Paolo was ball watching). The thing is i've also seen him switch on to guards and keep them in front, make great contests at the rim, use his quick hands to strip the ball down low and make good rotations on help defense. He can do it and he's got all the tools to do it. He's not Vuc where he just lacks the physical tools to have an impact I think he can at least get to the point where he doesn't hurt you on defense. I hope the culture that Mosely has started to instill here of hustling and working hard and making winning plays can rub off on him a little on that end.

On offense he's not super active without the ball, he's not running hard to fill the lanes in transition, he's not cutting hard off ball or rolling hard after setting a screen. Im not super concerned about that though to be honest, he's had the ball in his hands his whole life he probably hasn't ever had to consider playing off ball and I think he'll learn quickly that he can score a lot of easy points by moving off ball on this team playing with some of our guys who are really great passers (Fultz, Suggs, Franz, WCJ). 

The handle is good but it's not elite. For a 6'10 PF its definitely well above average but I wouldn't trust him to consistently handle the ball full court against pressure. He picked the ball up early and had the ball stripped on a dribble move a couple of times. He's definitely going to need to play with a real PG at least at first. 

All that said the good stuff is incredibly special. I buy the jumper massively, he makes 20 footers off the dribble (and not 1 dribble but like a string of dribble moves) so I really don't worry about him becoming a good 3 point shooter as he develops. The passing is special, lobs, drop offs, kick outs, hit a heads in transition, extra passes. He scored 21 points in a half against Gonzaga and looked genuinely un-guardable (but then he didn't score in the second half...). He's so difficult to stop getting to the rim when he finds a driving lane. As a transition ball handler he's terrific with his combination of physical attributes + handle+ passing. 

I'm super excited to see him play in the NBA. 

Really appreciate the analysis, CT.  I’ve only watched game tape of Jabari so far. Paolo in some sense excites me more due to his alleged passing and finishing, but it’s so hard for me to judge whether defensive effort can truly be taught, which scares me for Paolo. Some guys just naturally “leave it all out there” (whom I interpreted to be Jabari) while others will give as much effort as they can when the ball is in their hand, then save their energy for when they have the ball again (whom I interpret to be Paolo).

Defensive effort concerns scare me as you have to play both sides of the ball to win. But hopefully with the right coaching and competitive spirit, we’ll be okay.