CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

One would have to believe that Banchero was our pick all along.  We had nothing to lose by trying to get other teams to believe we wanted Jabari (esp OKC and Houston). If Houston had their sites set on Jabari they would've made the move to trade with us and we could've grabbed Banchero @ 3.  Not working Banchero out help support we were all in on Jabari or Chet. We knew OKC was all in on Chet.  Houston either didn't bite because they had Banchero rated above Jabari, or we didn't trust they were moving up to draft Jabari and would've lost out on our guy. It was worth the dog and pony show to try to get more asset's.

I have a bigger issue with us squandering and selling second round picks every year! 2nd's can be combined to move up. Are we so strapped for cash we have to sell them?

I agree that Banchero was our guy all along. I'm sure we got offers for our pick, but none strong enough to risk losing our guy. Banchero is going to be a star in this league. He's got a lot of great moves and can bully his way to the hole. He's strong enough to finish through contact and should get us a lot of and 1s.

I agree on the 2nds. We have a few guys that need to get a lot better or be replaced. 

• Upvote 1

I don't understand all the Bamba hate...He's had a rough few years with covid, injuries, and tanking coaches who haven't really put him in a great situation to succeed.  Last year Mos gave him a role and he had a career year.  Young big's take more time to develop and he's already filling the role of a rim protecting stretch 5.  We already need shooters to space the floor and  I'd hate to lose him for nothing and see him flourish elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, VoiceofReason said:

I don't understand all the Bamba hate...He's had a rough few years with covid, injuries, and tanking coaches who haven't really put him in a great situation to succeed.  Last year Mos gave him a role and he had a career year.  Young big's take more time to develop and he's already filling the role of a rim protecting stretch 5.  We already need shooters to space the floor and  I'd hate to lose him for nothing and see him flourish elsewhere.

Yes, but Bamba’s historical issue has been effort and reportedly a disinterest with basketball in general. 

There is a strong history with that kind of big man trying hard during a contract year and then regressing. That’s the concern we all have I think. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd bet money Paolo has a better career than Emeka Okafor. 

im not saying he wont be better.

I think he could be this duke legend - This is still a pretty good career

Season G GS FG% 3P% 2P% eFG% FT% TRB AST STL BLK PTS
  81 81 .474 .100 .489 .476 .835 8.7 2.8 1.3 1.0 18.2
  70 67 .448 .240 .455 .452 .783 8.6 4.4 1.2 1.2 16.8
  81 80 .489 .325 .497 .496 .818 7.6 2.9 1.2 1.1 16.3
  74 71 .487 .231 .499 .492 .818 7.3 2.7 1.0 1.0 16.4
  44 44 .486 .290 .497 .494 .816 6.9 2.9 0.9 1.0 18.0
  30 27 .489 .000 .502 .489 .823 7.9 2.3 1.0 0.9 14.2
  82 82 .486 .352 .497 .500 .816 8.8 2.7 1.2 0.8 18.1
  74 49 .485 .222 .495 .489 .864 6.6 2.6 1.0 1.0 13.8

My moneys on Banchero …and it’d be a lot …Moseley gonna advance Paola career just like Doncic …Banchero can distribute …is a 3 way scorer …Okafor was basically a post midrange scorer that blocked shots 

Edit well didn’t block as much shots as I thought

Definitely a video worth watching for the "the secrecy was embarrassing" crowd. Woj saying our front office earned a lot of respect around the league for the way we conducted the pre draft process.

The way we're going to use Paolo offensively is super interesting to me. 

I personally think he'd actually benefit from playing off ball and learning to cut and make quicker decisions off the catch. It feels like he's only ever had the ball in his hands so his instinct is always to catch, hold, jab, attack when sometimes the best option is just to catch and go or catch and shoot. I think that's some low hanging fruit for him, if he learns to make timely cuts, roll hard and make quicker decisions off the catch (all things he should have the opportunity to do playing with great passers like Fultz, Suggs, Franz and WCJ) he'll score more easy points which'll put less pressure on him as a creator. 

In terms of his creation the first thing I'm hoping for is we see him unleashed in transition both running the lanes and as a grab and go threat. That's something I don't really feel Duke ever actualised very much from the games I watched. He's 6'10, 250 with a handle and great vision he should be grabbing and going in transition as often as he can. 

As far as the rest of his creation responsibilities go, I'm not actually that comfortable with him being the lead playmaker at this stage of his development. For his size he has a good handle but I've found he's still prone to turnovers or picking the ball up early if he's pressured out at half court. I think the best situations for him are places where he can turn a small defensive imbalance into an advantage. Stuff like DHO keepers, empty side pick and pops into space for him to attack, using his passing and midrange abilities in the short roll game. And then running some 4/5 or inverted pick and rolls.

Sure we can mix in some mid and low post touches as well but in general I'm not all that interested in seeing him working out of iso situations 10+ times a game. They worked to a certain extent in college where he could use his overwhelming physical profile and abilities but as the defense gets better those types of shots are just not high enough percentage wise to build a whole offense around. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Definitely a video worth watching for the "the secrecy was embarrassing" crowd. Woj saying our front office earned a lot of respect around the league for the way we conducted the pre draft process.

It’s the same message though.  Yes, Orlando succeeded in misleading the other teams.   It provides no explanation as to why that mattered or how it helped us.  We had the first pick, after all.  We didn’t need all the stealth unless it was going to get us something, which it obviously didn’t.  We could have been telling the whole world we were taking Banchero for the past month and it would have changed nothing.  We still would have taken him.  

Regarding the poker analogy, everyone knew we had the first pick.   In poker it would be like everyone knowing we had a royal flush at the start of the game.