CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

My overall take on last night:

We drafted Paulo to be the offensive go-to guy and alpha leader for this team. This is very clear to me. WeltHam obviously like his personality, experience and versatility, and he's definitely a bucket. I also liked how Paulo told SVP after the draft that he knows he needs to work on his shooting and lateral quickness for defense. That's good self-awareness. 

Now for this to work:

• Fultz - Needs to run a ton of pick-n-rolls with Paulo. The two should be great on that front together. Fultz also needs to learn to shoot the three at a solid clip.
  • Anthony - Needs to either be a 6th man or learn to be effective as a spot up shooter. No more awful shot selection and ball hogging. 
  • Suggs - Dude needs to learn to shoot the three, as I think he'd be a great two-way shooting guard for us. His long ball will determine his career trajectory.
  • Franz - Keep growing in every way, young fella. You're the Robin to this new Batman.
  • Isaac - You're now on the clock and no longer a sure thing for this team. Get back on the court and learn to shoot.
  • WCJ - Keep growing as the paint protector and work on that shot. Confidence in shooting needs to continue to grow.

Question marks: RJ, Gary, Chuma, Ross and Bamba. I'm not sure what we have here, and I personally don't want to re-sign Bamba. I think the other Mo is just fine as a backup big and fits our culture better. Meanwhile, I'd love to trade Ross for a bag of chips and re-sign Harris to a 1/1 deal to be our backup SG. 

No more games, Orlando. Paulo was brought here to be the man. Let's push him and build around him to build a winner.

I agree with all of this. Although, I don't know if I want to resign Harris. I think he's not the player he once was in Denver. I would like to see us aim high for a guy like Miles Bridges or maybe even get another solid vet like TJ Warren or Patty Mills (if we shrink our current guard issue haha). What about letting Bamba and Lopez walk and bring back Dwight Howard for maybe one final year and let him retire on a high note?

42 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

I agree with all of this. Although, I don't know if I want to resign Harris. I think he's not the player he once was in Denver. I would like to see us aim high for a guy like Miles Bridges or maybe even get another solid vet like TJ Warren or Patty Mills (if we shrink our current guard issue haha). What about letting Bamba and Lopez walk and bring back Dwight Howard for maybe one final year and let him retire on a high note?

I think Harris is going to get better. His first year back from injury was up and down. This past year was pretty solid and i think he could be a great off the bench borderline starter.

Comps for Paolo from my Research:

High: Paul George/Karl Malone/Barkely

Most Likely: Blake Griffin/Draymond Green

Low: Mike Beasley/Jahlil Okafor/Anthony Bennett

All three of these Lows had Great College seasons- they were 4, 1 and 6 RSCI top 100 out of HS

1 minute ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

We need a much better SG and we are good to go!

I’m sorry we didn’t pick your guy, Twiggy ❤️

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

So, I said in multiple posts Jabari a Magic on 6/23.....then I edited my last post or "A Rabbit" a Magic due to the drama with Banchero the days just before the draft.

The rabbit was Banchero. He is a good player and I can say it 100 times, he really is. However, to me, the FO missed the opportunity to draft a tremendous player in Jabari...better shooter and defender.  I think too, the team is going to pay dearly for not selecting Jabari. His 3 point elite shooting was required. This might take some time to show but I believe we are going to see that the team would have been better with a 6'10" 3 point shooter than a 6'10" that can do a lot of things ok like Aaron Gordon did but can't do things star players can do.

When we won the lottery, there was no consensus #1 but it didn't take long for Jabari to be a consistent consensus # 1 for about 3 weeks.

This means to me, that Weltman's "job is on the table" to prove wrong the experts. Of everything that we have talked during the last month, this is one of the things that I'll be watching.

Also watching, the summer league opening game of the Rockets vs the Magic on July 7.....and I know where I'm going to be when the Rockets visit the Magic in Orlando....the Budweiser Baseline.

Go Magic !!!!!

AG is nowhere near the prospect of Banchero Albert. Come on fella....

Paolo is going to be generational if his 3 ball improves. He is top top class 

Way ahead of Tatum at 19 years of age skill wise 

4 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

AG is nowhere near the prospect of Banchero Albert. Come on fella....

Paolo is going to be generational if his 3 ball improves. He is top top class 

Way ahead of Tatum at 19 years of age skill wise 

Not sure he was way ahead

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/paolo-banchero-1.html#players_per_game

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jayson-tatum-1.html#players_per_game

almost exact same stats...

44 minutes ago, TrueBlueDrew said:

Losing a vet/locker room guy like Lopez and replacing him with Dwight is about the last thing I would want for these guys lol

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Chet. Lol

Oh Stickboy LOL. I'm gonna love watching big guys run him over. I don't wish injury on him, but he is done playing with boys now. I saw a clip somewhere of Banchero just plowing through him and scoring. He's gonna be able to bully through a lot of players and is going to be excellent. We haven't had a powerful player like him in a long time. He goes to the hole hard!

I wanted to be off the board for the draft and just enjoy the draft. Plus, I’m at a conference for work, so didn’t have the time to post. 

Few thoughts I’ve had since the draft:

1) My conference is in Houston and rocket fans at the conference are pissed, they wanted Paolo. 

2) I said before the draft that the talking heads at ESPN, Ringer, Athletic, ect.. don’t know as much as Vegas odds makers. The Paolo line doesn’t move that much without major news for no reason. 

3) I’ve read multiple people talking about how we didn’t bring Paolo in for a visit. How do you know this to be true. Don’t trust anything ESPN says. They know very little (example- woj trying to release the order before the draft and being totally wrong). We have no reason to think we didn’t work out Paolo. 

4) Heard multiple people saying how it doesn’t make sense to be secretive. I disagree completely, most public rankings had Jabari, Chet then Paolo. So why not keep who you want a secret in hopes of Houston or OKC trading up for a prospect you don’t want. This is my assumption, but I think we were trying to get Houston to move up to 1, but when we found out they wanted Paolo and not Jabari, we didn’t do the deal. Basically we want Paolo at 3, but so did Houston. 

5) The comp I have for Paolo is a bigger Paul Pierce. Paul was 6’8” 235. 

6)Paolo Banchero is an elite Paul Porter name. LOL 

7)  Do you think Suggs and/or Franz plays in the summer league. 

• Upvote 2