CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

8 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

This was good for me to watch. It’s clear that Jeff and the Magic had Paulo as the guy all along. Honestly, I could do without all the cloak and dagger shenanigans, but I’m going to fully support Paulo. IMHO, he’ll need the ball in his hands more than any other player, so I hope the rest of the team humbles themselves and executes their role on the team. If not, they need to go. 

29 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Ok i'm not drunk like last night so i can be a fan and make reasonable posts....LOL.

Here are my thoughts on last night. I'm happy about Banchero, he was always a legit player. He has all the skills, now it's on him and the coaches to bring out his best. Jabari is going to be good as well he just seems more like a secondary guy. He will do great in Houston because they will have other guys being the focus. 

Now for the bad things. After listening to Weltman both last night and on the radio this morning i think he is a buffoon. I'm not sure what happened with the whole secrecy before the draft and the workouts but it's just a bad look for the organization. Plus dealing the second round pick the day before when two other teams got future seconds for higher picks! Not trading with Philly, not making any other moves and seemingly getting played by Houston. 

Meanwhile Memphis,Houston,OKC,Detroit are just killing it in this draft. And i'm betting none of those teams are done. I like our team but i am very disappointed with management at the moment. I am aa fan so i hope i am wrong and they surprise me this week.

Not trading with Philly for what? Was there any suggestion Philly were interested in trading with us for anything? 

We didn't get played by Houston this is just a thing people are saying to cope with the fact that we didn't draft Jabari. There's legitimately no evidence this is the case and it defies basic logic. 

35 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

This was good for me to watch. It’s clear that Jeff and the Magic had Paulo as the guy all along. Honestly, I could do without all the cloak and dagger shenanigans, but I’m going to fully support Paulo. IMHO, he’ll need the ball in his hands more than any other player, so I hope the rest of the team humbles themselves and executes their role on the team. If not, they need to go. 

This makes no sense. If he was their guy all along, then why the secrecy. If your number 2 or 3 you play it close to the vest with the hopes that you can entice other teams to move with you. If your number one you have the first pick, PERIOD. You only play it close to the vest if you are actively trying to move the pick for something else.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

Meanwhile Memphis,Houston,OKC,Detroit are just killing it in this draft. And i'm betting none of those teams are done. I like our team but i am very disappointed with management at the moment. I am aa fan so i hope i am wrong and they surprise me this week.

I like what Detroit did and I think Houston had two good picks in the first round but they also made a really stupid move IMO by getting rid of Christian Wood. I think Houston will still be on the struggle bus this year. 

OKC has the benefit of having 100 million draft picks in the next 3 years. But trading 3 of them away for #12 really confuses me. I'm also SUPER low on Chet. I know that is the best fit for them but something in me is saying bust with him. I literally was hoping the Magic would take anyone but him. 

I think Memphis also had the benefit of multiple picks. While I like what they did, I don't believe they have room for all of those guys, so some of them are going to be bundled up into something or the second-rounders will be cut. However, the difficulty is that this team is already pretty good, so that talent will likely be riding the bench for a minute.

So, don't mistake heavy activity for wisdom. While some of those teams had good draft nights, I don't think OKC made the most brilliant moves, they just flexed all the picks they had. Houston had 2 good picks but still a shaky foundation. Memphis is meh just because how much will those picks shake up a team that is poised to run at the WCF. Detroit made good moves. It'll be interesting to see how they continue to rebuild. 

19 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

This makes no sense. If he was their guy all along, then why the secrecy. If your number 2 or 3 you play it close to the vest with the hopes that you can entice other teams to move with you. If your number one you have the first pick, PERIOD. You only play it close to the vest if you are actively trying to move the pick for something else.

First, I think Jeff and management wanted to remain open to anything until the pick. This probably includes trading the pick for a vet. Second, I think they are obsessed with maintaining secrecy for the sake of trust with the team, around the league, and with agents. Personally, I find that Jeff's cloak and dagger approach to be a bit self-indulgent, and I'm ready for him to build us an actual winner. To me, he and John have two years left to do that. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not trading with Philly for what? Was there any suggestion Philly were interested in trading with us for anything? 

We didn't get played by Houston this is just a thing people are saying to cope with the fact that we didn't draft Jabari. There's legitimately no evidence this is the case and it defies basic logic. 

Something was really weird about the whole thing, the secrecy...everything. Defies logic? How is it we were the first pick in the draft and didn't bring in the guy we picked. Everyone will be talking about it for weeks in the media, but hey it "defies logic". Also Weltman was posturing over his holding his cards tight, his words not mine or the media. And yet the information was obviously leaked the day before. Vegas was in on it. 

Plus the Philly trade was just one of the most obvious things happening there was lots of moves on the table. I bet they didn't even try. And every person can see how stupid the day before trade of our second round pick was. No reason to trade it at that time but laziness. He had a press conference while the draft was still happening. Memphis is one of the deepest teams in the league and they drafted 3 players. They made trades, they moved picks and they already have a playoff team and a star. 

And finally yes they were obviously trying to get Houston to do something. It doesn't even matter if you or i believe it. What matters is the relationship our management has with other executives in the league. And with other players and agents moving forward.

• Like 1

My overall take on last night:

We drafted Paulo to be the offensive go-to guy and alpha leader for this team. This is very clear to me. WeltHam obviously like his personality, experience and versatility, and he's definitely a bucket. I also liked how Paulo told SVP after the draft that he knows he needs to work on his shooting and lateral quickness for defense. That's good self-awareness. 

Now for this to work:

• Fultz - Needs to run a ton of pick-n-rolls with Paulo. The two should be great on that front together. Fultz also needs to learn to shoot the three at a solid clip.
  • Anthony - Needs to either be a 6th man or learn to be effective as a spot up shooter. No more awful shot selection and ball hogging. 
  • Suggs - Dude needs to learn to shoot the three, as I think he'd be a great two-way shooting guard for us. His long ball will determine his career trajectory.
  • Franz - Keep growing in every way, young fella. You're the Robin to this new Batman.
  • Isaac - You're now on the clock and no longer a sure thing for this team. Get back on the court and learn to shoot.
  • WCJ - Keep growing as the paint protector and work on that shot. Confidence in shooting needs to continue to grow.

Question marks: RJ, Gary, Chuma, Ross and Bamba. I'm not sure what we have here, and I personally don't want to re-sign Bamba. I think the other Mo is just fine as a backup big and fits our culture better. Meanwhile, I'd love to trade Ross for a bag of chips and re-sign Harris to a 1/1 deal to be our backup SG. 

No more games, Orlando. Paulo was brought here to be the man. Let's push him and build around him to build a winner.

• Upvote 3

So, I said in multiple posts Jabari a Magic on 6/23.....then I edited my last post or "A Rabbit" a Magic due to the drama with Banchero the days just before the draft.

The rabbit was Banchero. He is a good player and I can say it 100 times, he really is. However, to me, the FO missed the opportunity to draft a tremendous player in Jabari...better shooter and defender.  I think too, the team is going to pay dearly for not selecting Jabari. His 3 point elite shooting was required. This might take some time to show but I believe we are going to see that the team would have been better with a 6'10" 3 point shooter than a 6'10" that can do a lot of things ok like Aaron Gordon did but can't do things star players can do.

When we won the lottery, there was no consensus #1 but it didn't take long for Jabari to be a consistent consensus # 1 for about 3 weeks.

This means to me, that Weltman's "job is on the table" to prove wrong the experts. Of everything that we have talked during the last month, this is one of the things that I'll be watching.

Also watching, the summer league opening game of the Rockets vs the Magic on July 7.....and I know where I'm going to be when the Rockets visit the Magic in Orlando....the Budweiser Baseline.

Go Magic !!!!!

I want to give a personal shout out to LaVar. Guy wanted Paulo weeks ago and stood by his conviction on this front. Well done.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

My overall take on last night:

We drafted Paulo to be the offensive go-to guy and alpha leader for this team. This is very clear to me. WeltHam obviously like his personality, experience and versatility, and he's definitely a bucket. I also liked how Paulo told SVP after the draft that he knows he needs to work on his shooting and lateral quickness for defense. That's good self-awareness. 

Now for this to work:

• Fultz - Needs to run a ton of pick-n-rolls with Paulo. The two should be great on that front together. Fultz also needs to learn to shoot the three at a solid clip.
  • Anthony - Needs to either be a 6th man or learn to be effective as a spot up shooter. No more awful shot selection and ball hogging. 
  • Suggs - Dude needs to learn to shoot the three, as I think he'd be a great two-way shooting guard for us. His long ball will determine his career trajectory.
  • Franz - Keep growing in every way, young fella. You're the Robin to this new Batman.
  • Isaac - You're now on the clock and no longer a sure thing for this team. Get back on the court and learn to shoot.
  • WCJ - Keep growing as the paint protector and work on that shot. Confidence in shooting needs to continue to grow.

Question marks: RJ, Gary, Chuma, Ross and Bamba. I'm not sure what we have here, and I personally don't want to re-sign Bamba. I think the other Mo is just fine as a backup big and fits our culture better. Meanwhile, I'd love to trade Ross for a bag of chips and re-sign Harris to a 1/1 deal to be our backup SG. 

No more games, Orlando. Paulo was brought here to be the man. Let's push him and build around him to build a winner.

Great post

Everyone continues to harp on the management because they don't do what is expected or flashy but I really believe the management makes smart decisions, unlike previous leadership (clear up the whiteboard Henny!) ... I do think we need to figure out something with our guards because Cole, Suggs, Fultz, and RJ is too much need for one basketball. I don't want us to get rid of Ross either because I love his vet voice in that locker room but I think he'll probably be packaged to a contender. 

I'm an eternal optimist so while I personally wanted Smith on this team, I think Banchero has the best overall offensive game which is something we need. He isn't great on defense...but we've been focusing on defense in the draft for so long, it's good to draft offense heavy and let the rest of the team help out. 

Here is what our roster looks like as of now:

PG - Anthony/ Fultz / Hampton / Cannady

SG - Suggs / Ross

SF - Wagner / Okeke / Houstan 

PF - Banchero / Isaac

C - WCJ  / Wagner / Bol Bol

Free Agents: Gary Harris, Mo Bamba, Robin Lopez

Two Way: Brazadeikis, Schofield

I personally want to see the Magic make a few moves to perhaps offload Fultz, Ross, and Isaac. The one player I would love to see the Magic make an offer on would be Miles Bridges because I think his development fits our core, his athleticism provides something we need, and he's a high-energy guy who would fit in well with the rebuild. 

• Downvote 1