CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

The draft’s first curveball comes with the first overall pick, as the Magic select Paolo Banchero—and not the oft-mocked Jabari Smith. For a team with such an obvious need for an offensive focal point (Orlando didn’t have anyone average 17 points), this is a swing for the fences and quite possibly a moon-shot blast.

If this draft class produces a scoring champ, Banchero is the odds-on favorite. His offensive bag bursts at the seams with a drool-worthy blend of power, finesse, shot-making, finishing and an unfair amount of passing for a 6’10”, 250-pounder.

Now, can he defend at the NBA level? Physically, he’ll be good to go from his first opening tip, but at Duke, his defensive motor sputtered like a broken-down pickup. A good coaching staff can correct that flaw, though, as well as improve his sometimes overly ambitious shot selection.

From my viewpoint, Banchero is the best fit and the best prospect in the class. Job very well done, Magic.

Grade: A

1. From BR

Jay did you even go to bed bro? I just woke up from less than 5 hours sleep and feel like I got hit by a truck. You've been posting random ass twitter stuff seemingly all morning. 

Undrafted free agents who interest me and still haven't signed anywhere:

Trevion Williams

Jordan Hall

Gabe Brown

Hyungjung Lee

Thinking about Houstan. I think he's a reasonable bet at a forward sized movement shooter. Do I personally think he was the best prospect available at 32? No. But we obviously like something about these Michigan guys and he's a former top HS recruit with a (I think, the college numbers don't pop) real NBA skill (shooting). 

I liked Max Christie so it's weird he was picked at #35 with our traded pick but at the end of the day we had a chance to draft him 3 selections earlier and didn't, same with Hardy, if we wanted him we could have taken him but we didn't. There were rumours Houstan got an early promise and shut it down and it was clearly us. That makes me believe we consider him to be at least a top 30 prospect to make that decision before we even knew who'd be available. 

What times the introductory presser anyone know?

14 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jay did you even go to bed bro? I just woke up from less than 5 hours sleep and feel like I got hit by a truck. You've been posting random ass twitter stuff seemingly all morning. 

Morning brother. I have had a hour or so sleep. Had to walk my dog. Came home and now i am on my sofa watching reactions and podcasts lol i feel like i am gonna have a nap soon. I have the day off today so its chill mode. How u feeling now u slept? Think we did well? 

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Undrafted free agents who interest me and still haven't signed anywhere:

Trevion Williams

Jordan Hall

Gabe Brown

Hyungjung Lee

Thinking about Houstan. I think he's a reasonable bet at a forward sized movement shooter. Do I personally think he was the best prospect available at 32? No. But we obviously like something about these Michigan guys and he's a former top HS recruit with a (I think, the college numbers don't pop) real NBA skill (shooting). 

I liked Max Christie so it's weird he was picked at #35 with our traded pick but at the end of the day we had a chance to draft him 3 selections earlier and didn't, same with Hardy, if we wanted him we could have taken him but we didn't. There were rumours Houstan got an early promise and shut it down and it was clearly us. That makes me believe we consider him to be at least a top 30 prospect to make that decision before we even knew who'd be available. 

What times the introductory presser anyone know?

Not yet will find out 

29 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Morning brother. I have had a hour or so sleep. Had to walk my dog. Came home and now i am on my sofa watching reactions and podcasts lol i feel like i am gonna have a nap soon. I have the day off today so its chill mode. How u feeling now u slept? Think we did well? 

I gave my take on Houstan above and I'm happy with the Paolo pick.

I think a lot of talk was made about the uniqueness of both Jabari and Chet in different ways and we all kind of glossed over that 6'10, 250 19 year olds with high end court vision, natural scoring instincts and the ability to pass, dribble and shoot basically don't exist. That's about as unique a prospect as I can think of. I've made the 18-19 Blake comp but Blake was vastly different as a prospect and took a long time to develop into that kind of player who the offense could run through. Paolo is a lot closer at a lot younger age. If he continues to develop that's scary.

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not expecting a pick at 32 MP?

My body was screaming for sleep haha.

Houstan is an intriguing pick due to his physical tools. And it’s a position of need