CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

To be clear. Sharpe was briefly the top HS prospect in 2022. He reclassed to 2021 where he was ranked 3rd behind Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero (I'm using 247, Rivals or ESPN will probably be slightly different). Remember these are college recruitment rankings, given Sharpe is already 19 he's at least a year older than a lot of the top 2022 guys like Derek Lively, Nick Smith and Dariq Whitehead thus it was more likely he'd be impactful in college than those guys at that time. It remains to be seen if he'd have remained the top player in the 2022 class.

And even if he'd have stayed the #1 player in the class there are several prospects playing pro already that aren't in the rankings (Scoot, the Thompson twins and Wemby who tbf would have never been in the rankings as a Euro prospect) and he for sure wasn't getting picked over Scoot or Wemby in my opinion so at best he'd have been the #3 prospect. That's presuming some of the guys younger than him didn't develop in their year of college and over take him. 

But honestly, if he thought he was close to a sure thing for top 3 next season he wouldn't have reclassed. The difference between the #3 pick and the #8 pick is $12million dollars ish across the 4 years and we know he was looking for guaranteed top 10 to stay in. Considering NIL it's not like his salary this coming year would have been zero either. It's more likely his advisors thought he would be a mid lotto pick or lower next year and gambled that he could be a similar spot this year in a weaker class without playing and showing any of his flaws and hope he cashes in on the extra year of NBA salary down the line. 

Great analysis CT.

For those who want us to take him, he has elite athleticism and a fluid offensive game. But we have to remember the game is much more than that. Other things you have to evaluate that we don’t know much about

- Defensive Intensity and Focus

- Passing and court vision

- BB IQ (understanding offensive / defensive concepts, ability to impact the game without the ball)

- Play against better-than-HS defense

- Character and Intangibles (a big one when creating a young team and culture).

It’s easier evaluating college players like Chet and Jabari because we have more game tap against better competition. Much of Sharpe’s evaluation comes from 12 HS game tapes, and his #1 ranking is more indicative of his offensive prowess, which in HS is primarily 1 on 1, than anything else. 

It's that time of year where guys who know nothing about the NBA draft watch a few highlights and roll out an opinion on their TV show/podcast/twitter. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's that time of year where guys who know nothing about the NBA draft watch a few highlights and roll out an opinion on their TV show/podcast/twitter. 

Definitely hahahaha

11 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I love that JJ’s top things he looks for is a love of basketball, a competitive fire, and “emotional intelligence.” Chemistry is so important and I Absolutely agree on that and love JJ’s analysis, as always. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

If the 2023 draft class is epic, why is arguably the best player in that class not a legitimate threat to be picked at #1 in a draft being described as average?

Bilas said he has no concerns about Sharpe declining to play at Kentucky.

“I don’t think there is any concern over that,” Bilas said. “He reclassified to go to Kentucky. He was ranked No. 1 in his high school class. If he stayed at Kentucky for another year or stayed at his high school and gone to Kentucky, we would be talking about him as the No. 1 pick for the 2023 draft. That’s how talented he is.”

Agree Wilbur, I’ve thought that since the beginning  …I don’t know and maybe this is just a guess …but I think Jay Bilas opinion is probably a little more important than any poster on TBN message board ….he also addressed the decision about not playing at UK which certain posters here have tried to throw shade at .

I hope like crazy Weltham are doing their homework …Sharpe up to 4th in Vegas odds …be interesting to see if he can crack the top 3 before tomorrow night .

Edit: and please stop with the character stuff …I can find nothing but positives …one NBA scout saying he might be too nice 

Combination of all the tangibles and intangibles, love of the game, freak athleticism, clear steadiness and intelligence…. I’m just going to be floored if we don’t pick Jabari Smith.

He’s basically like if you grew a perfect NBA specimen in a lab physically and emotionally. The only thing we’re missing is a tighter dribble that allows for him to drive and finish. He gets that and he’s all-NBA material. 

I’m trusting Weltman but I can’t see us doing anything else in this draft unless we really aren’t concerned by Chet’s frame. Nothing else makes sense. 

Hollinger breaking the Internet with his latest mock:

1. Magic - Holmgren

”I think I might be the only person who thinks there’s a realistic chance Holmgren goes No. 1. Again: The story adds up. While most draftniks have Jabari Smith Jr. as the top-rated player (as do I), I don’t think that has ever moved the needle on how this front office thinks.

The Jeff Weltman-John Hammond front-office team in Orlando is also renowned for valuing length far more than most front offices, sometimes to its detriment (see Bamba, Mo), and sometimes hugely to its benefit (see Antetokounmpo, Giannis). While it’s overly reductive to say it’s the only thing the Magic look at — they took Jalen Suggs and Franz Wagner a year ago, neither of whom had crazy wingspans — I’m not sure the lure of Holmgren’s rim protection will be resistible.”

https://theathletic.com/3377254/2022/06/22/nba-mock-draft-trades-rumors-news/?amp=1

45 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Combination of all the tangibles and intangibles, love of the game, freak athleticism, clear steadiness and intelligence…. I’m just going to be floored if we don’t pick Jabari Smith.

He’s basically like if you grew a perfect NBA specimen in a lab physically and emotionally. The only thing we’re missing is a tighter dribble that allows for him to drive and finish. He gets that and he’s all-NBA material. 

I’m trusting Weltman but I can’t see us doing anything else in this draft unless we really aren’t concerned by Chet’s frame. Nothing else makes sense. 

Does he have freak athleticism? I don’t Know how you measure all the other stuff you listed. He may or may not check those boxes in weltham’s opinion, but freak athleticism? I don’t see that 

55 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

CT listen to Jalen Rose. He is clueless

Of course! Look how bad MJ is at running the Hornets. Some former players make good coaches and analysts. Most are garbage.