CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Picagus6Uruguay said:

Yo creo que Banchero fue el primero en practicar para nosotros. Y lo tienen oculto, de seguro a alguien se le escapó algo xq es muuuuuy raro la bajada en las apuestas. O puede ir #1 para nosotros u para houston y darnos #3,#17 y otro pick futuro protegido

I wish I could read this. Love the diversity on the board though. #GoMagic! 

• Upvote 2

When Jay Bilas went to watch Kentucky practice, a player who did not log a single minute for the Wildcats all season captured his attention.

While the team ran through drills and played five-on-five, Bilas kept glancing over at Shaedon Sharpe, a graceful wing who was working out off to the side with an assistant coach.

“I was supposed to be watching the team,” Bilas, the longtime ESPN basketball analyst, said. “My eyes kept going over to Sharpe when he was working out with one of the coaches. He’s hard to keep your eyes off of. He is amazingly talented.”

In April, The Athletic reported that Sharpe’s mentor, Dwayne Washington, “intervened” when Kentucky coach John Calipari attempted to play Sharpe. The belief in NBA circles is that Washington acted this way to eliminate any risk of Sharpe’s NBA stock getting damaged.

Bilas said he has no concerns about Sharpe declining to play at Kentucky.

“I don’t think there is any concern over that,” Bilas said. “He reclassified to go to Kentucky. He was ranked No. 1 in his high school class. If he stayed at Kentucky for another year or stayed at his high school and gone to Kentucky, we would be talking about him as the No. 1 pick for the 2023 draft. That’s how talented he is.”

“He’s another guy that has not only size as a wing but really long arms," Bilas said. "He’s got a near 7-foot wingspan. Really athletic. And he can really shoot it. He’s a quiet, unassuming young man off the floor. But on the floor, he knows how good he is.”

Sharpe has worked out for several teams with lottery picks, including the Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Hornets. 
https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_99648322-f1a4-11ec-be2b-c74723f5a479.html

Tick …Tick …Tick …Tick 

• Upvote 2

I would not be as upset if we swung for the fences and grabbed Sharpe with #1 as I would be if we drafted Stickboy. I would be even more impressed if somehow we ended up with #1 and #4 or 5 and grabbed Jabari & Sharpe or Ivey!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I wish I could read this. Love the diversity on the board though. #GoMagic! 

He thinks that Banchero was the first one to workout for us but we’re keeping it under wraps. Also, we could take him at 1 or trade down for 3 and 17.

I think there might be some truth to it, but I’m usually paranoid and Banchero is the guy I don’t want

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I would not be as upset if we swung for the fences and grabbed Sharpe with #1 as I would be if we drafted Stickboy. I would be even more impressed if somehow we ended up with #1 and #4 or 5 and grabbed Jabari & Sharpe or Ivey!!!

Likewise. I think we are getting him !!!!

In saying that.. Beal is now unrestricted free agent. 

We are in play for everthing. If WeltHam play this correctly we can be instant contenders for next season...

We have ammo with picks.. players and cap space!! Here we come guys!!!

The glow up is going to be MAGIC!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Mauro Pedrosa said:

He thinks that Banchero was the first one to workout for us but we’re keeping it under wraps. Also, we could take him at 1 or trade down for 3 and 17.

I think there might be some truth to it, but I’m usually paranoid and Banchero is the guy I don’t want

Gotta trust WeltHam MP

Draft day is tomorrow... I usually wait until draft day but screw it I'll make my prediction (prediction not what I want to happen) now: 

1. Chet Holmgren

32. Caleb Houstan

35. Traded for a 2023 second and cash.

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

When Jay Bilas went to watch Kentucky practice, a player who did not log a single minute for the Wildcats all season captured his attention.

While the team ran through drills and played five-on-five, Bilas kept glancing over at Shaedon Sharpe, a graceful wing who was working out off to the side with an assistant coach.

“I was supposed to be watching the team,” Bilas, the longtime ESPN basketball analyst, said. “My eyes kept going over to Sharpe when he was working out with one of the coaches. He’s hard to keep your eyes off of. He is amazingly talented.”

In April, The Athletic reported that Sharpe’s mentor, Dwayne Washington, “intervened” when Kentucky coach John Calipari attempted to play Sharpe. The belief in NBA circles is that Washington acted this way to eliminate any risk of Sharpe’s NBA stock getting damaged.

Bilas said he has no concerns about Sharpe declining to play at Kentucky.

“I don’t think there is any concern over that,” Bilas said. “He reclassified to go to Kentucky. He was ranked No. 1 in his high school class. If he stayed at Kentucky for another year or stayed at his high school and gone to Kentucky, we would be talking about him as the No. 1 pick for the 2023 draft. That’s how talented he is.”

“He’s another guy that has not only size as a wing but really long arms," Bilas said. "He’s got a near 7-foot wingspan. Really athletic. And he can really shoot it. He’s a quiet, unassuming young man off the floor. But on the floor, he knows how good he is.”

Sharpe has worked out for several teams with lottery picks, including the Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Hornets. 
https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_99648322-f1a4-11ec-be2b-c74723f5a479.html

Tick …Tick …Tick …Tick 

If the 2023 draft class is epic, why is arguably the best player in that class not a legitimate threat to be picked at #1 in a draft being described as average?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If the 2023 draft class is epic, why is arguably the best player in that class not a legitimate threat to be picked at #1 in a draft being described as average?

Exactly 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

To be clear. Sharpe was briefly the top HS prospect in 2022. He reclassed to 2021 where he was ranked 3rd behind Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero (I'm using 247, Rivals or ESPN will probably be slightly different). Remember these are college recruitment rankings, given Sharpe is already 19 he's at least a year older than a lot of the top 2022 guys like Derek Lively, Nick Smith and Dariq Whitehead thus it was more likely he'd be impactful in college than those guys at that time. It remains to be seen if he'd have remained the top player in the 2022 class.

And even if he'd have stayed the #1 player in the class there are several prospects playing pro already that aren't in the rankings (Scoot, the Thompson twins and Wemby who tbf would have never been in the rankings as a Euro prospect) and he for sure wasn't getting picked over Scoot or Wemby in my opinion so at best he'd have been the #3 prospect. That's presuming some of the guys younger than him didn't develop in their year of college and over take him. 

But honestly, if he thought he was close to a sure thing for top 3 next season he wouldn't have reclassed. The difference between the #3 pick and the #8 pick is $12million dollars ish across the 4 years and we know he was looking for guaranteed top 10 to stay in. Considering NIL it's not like his salary this coming year would have been zero either. It's more likely his advisors thought he would be a mid lotto pick or lower next year and gambled that he could be a similar spot this year in a weaker class without playing and showing any of his flaws and hope he cashes in on the extra year of NBA salary down the line. 

EDIT: if you ask this question why are you not also asking: "why are we picking the #7 high school prospect in 2021, Jabari Smith, #1 in the draft? What about the 6 guys better than him"