CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

I feel like after all these years of being bad to mediocre we need to not look a gift horse in the mouth. 

Fans of teams that don't have top picks are wishing they could draft one of Chet/Jabari/Paolo meanwhile some in our fan base are all like "I dunno man since none of these are a clear standout above the others maybe that means they all kind of suck and we should trade back"

It would take us absolutely loving a prospect and getting an absolute haul for me to feel ok about trading out of the top 3. 

Like if Sacramento offered #4 and an unprotected 2023 pick and we thought Jaden Ivey was the #1 prospect in the draft or something. 

I also think there's a level of risk management involved in this for front offices that they have to consider. They have to be able to justify these moves to keep their jobs and if they make a trade out of the top 3 and one or all of those top 3 are great they will be looking for a new job. Whereas if they draft someone everyone thought was a top 3 guy and he's not quite as good as one of the others you can at least justify it. Only one of the three executives who could have drafted Luka Doncic but didn't still has a job and that's probably because he still got Trae Young. (Funnily enough the guy who did draft him also doesn't have a job but that's for entirely different reasons lol)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I feel like after all these years of being bad to mediocre we need to not look a gift horse in the mouth. 

Fans of teams that don't have top picks are wishing they could draft one of Chet/Jabari/Paolo meanwhile some in our fan base are all like "I dunno man since none of these are a clear standout above the others maybe that means they all kind of suck and we should trade back"

It would take us absolutely loving a prospect and getting an absolute haul for me to feel ok about trading out of the top 3. 

Like if Sacramento offered #4 and an unprotected 2023 pick and we thought Jaden Ivey was the #1 prospect in the draft or something. 

I also think there's a level of risk management involved in this for front offices that they have to consider. They have to be able to justify these moves to keep their jobs and if they make a trade out of the top 3 and one or all of those top 3 are great they will be looking for a new job. Whereas if they draft someone everyone thought was a top 3 guy and he's not quite as good as one of the others you can at least justify it. Only one of the three executives who could have drafted Luka Doncic but didn't still has a job and that's probably because he still got Trae Young. (Funnily enough the guy who did draft him also doesn't have a job but that's for entirely different reasons lol)

Right. It’s easy to be bold and brave when there aren’t millions of dollars on the line

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Can't figure out how to attach my posts from 2018 but these were my main takes from back then.

"Aside from Doncic who I think is by far and away the best player in this years draft." (2018 post)

Doncic was clearly the best player by a mile in the 2018 draft, teams messed up by basing it on the fact he played in Europe despite what he was doing at that age was unprecedented in that league. I even said at some other point it was laughable that Ayton was considered better than him as he was clearly so much better than everyone else. Those execs deserve to be gone with it being so clear to average fans like myself just how good Doncic was.

Another post of mine from 2018 -

"I've had to stop watching the video below as it makes me become irrational and want him at 6 lol"

I really felt Doncic and SGA could be very special players pre draft. This draft I dont see anyone that has that potential. And yes, most likely I'll be wrong and one or two will probably end up amazing ( I also didnt see Trae Young being as good as he is in 2018 and talked myself into Bamba when it became likely that he would be available when we picked despite not being remotely interested in him prior to that! so there was still lots I predicted wrong. But right now its getting close to the draft and these top 3 guys in particular are getting overhyped, which is the media and their agents/representatives jobs to do with the draft just around the corner, it's fine and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's just clear you really really like Chet. And again, that's fine, for what it's worth I think he's the best player in this draft but he still has a number of clear flaws and issues (just like Banchero and Jabari) and I personally don't think he will be some transending top ten player in this league.

So yes, if the FO think Ivey is the best player in this draft, they should absolutely trade down and gain additional assets. If they think Chet, Banch or Jabari are the best then just stay where you are and pick one of them. The beauty of having the number 1 pick is that we get to work out absolutely anyone we want so all I want is the FO to use that information wisely and correctly draft the player that turns out to be the best player of this draft, that's all you can ask for. I hope I'm wrong and we draft a player that completely changes around this clubs fortunes and is amazing. I just don't see that player in this draft right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d be jealous  if OKC was the team who ended up with Sharpe with their other first rounder. They are in a great position.

They don’t have the pressure because they can wait for us and just take whoever’s left out of Chet and Jabari

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

NBAdraft.net isnt worth paying attention to.

Didnt know this. Thanks

I guess in regards to us no mock draft is worth paying attention too loooool 

WeltHam do what they want and I trust them wholeheartedly 

12 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Philly at #23 with Green seems like a reasonable trade target for one of our seconds and Ross. I’m curious how much of Green’s salary Philly would pay.

Agree, but don't know if Philly is searching for Ross... or something better probably.

They are both 6'6 shooting guards who defend the 3 sometimes and shoot wide open 3's because of an all-star center. Ross never had the defense of Green but he was pretty good under Coach Clifford. It all depends on if Morey thinks he will actually play hard in Philly. Truth is there are probably 5 or 6 teams that would take back a dead contract and have exactly what they need in return. Yes i can think of a couple better players who might be available. Depends on how we sell it. Our 2nd rounders are pretty valuable as non guaranteed contracts. A way for them to get bench help. Morey is actually one of the GM's who uses second rounders.

The thing is Danny Green has no value as an expiring who's going to be unable to play all season after his injury in the playoffs. Plus there's actually probably some value in not having a first round pick with a guaranteed salary for them given that the 76ers are a tax paying team. It'd be worthwhile for both teams in my opinion but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen.

Jake Laravia is another guy I really like in the 2nd or even late first. 3/4 who's really smart, plays hard, good catch and shoot guy, good passer, good block/steal numbers for someone who's biggest knock is his athleticism. He also got to the FT line a bunch in college which is a nice indicator. Also young for a guy who's player 3 years of college ball at 20. In some ways he's kind of like a discount Franz Wagner (not as good a ball handler, not as athletic and older when drafted but similar smart, high energy 6'9 forward).

I know we don't really need another 4 man (which I think he is more of considering his lack of athleticism) presuming we pick one of the top 3 but at the end of the day I think when you reach that point in the draft it's more about finding guys who you think are going to stick in the league and who fit your culture. Everything else can be worked out later.