CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

If we draft Chet, my immediate thought will be that it will be part of a bigger trade we’re looking to make for a guy in the 2-5 range. 

SUPER risky in my mind but I won’t be accepting we’re actually keeping Chet until we are at the #13 pick (past OKC #12) in the evening with nothing having been moved. 

Since Houston has #3 and #17, I might have a little more patience - maybe until #20, as it takes a little while to write it up, and send it in. 

10 minutes ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m a Jabari fan, so I’m not trying to defend Chet or his strength. However, I did want to clear up a few things from your post that were misstated. 

When he’s using the 25lbs dumbbells he’s not doing lunges. He’s doing 1 legged squats, but his back foot does touch the ground for balance purposes which leads to the look of a lunge. However, we do know it’s a one leg squat and not a lunge, because you can see in the video he’s not using his back leg to generate force. So, for this lift the 25lbs isn’t something to balk at. It’s also not something to brag about either frankly. 

Also, he’s not front squatting and he’s not using a smith machine. The bar he’s using is called a safety squat bar and it’s actually used frequently in high performance gyms as it still provides a great lift, while being safer. Specifically it improves posture by having your knees over your toes and it puts less pressure on the shoulders and traps. 

Now I agree he’s not lifting huge weight, but he does have good form and he’s getting deep. 

Also, I agree on the barebell RDL’s he’s not lifting heavy, but he is going below his knees and he’s not rounding his back. His form is solid, but again the weight isn’t much. 

With that said, this video doesn’t change my option of Chet positive or negative. But it is a good indicator that this isn’t his first time in the gym like his body might make it appear at first glance.

His form isn’t that of a gym novice. 

Edit- please know these comments weren’t meant as a personal attack or to discredit your opinion.  It’s obvious you’re basketball IQ is very high and your draft opinions are noteworthy. I just wanted to provide some clarity form a lifting perspective as I’ve spent many years in high performance gyms. 

Yup. A less stable Bulgarian Split Squat. Heavy weight is not needed for this. Combine his weight, the 50lbs (two 25 db’s) and the lack of stability, he’s essentially squatting all that on one leg. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Im sure prospects often spend 2 full days with the GMs of a team they don't want to get drafted by.

LOL

Hahaha

14 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yup. A less stable Bulgarian Split Squat. Heavy weight is not needed for this. Combine his weight, the 50lbs (two 25 db’s) and the lack of stability, he’s essentially squatting all that on one leg. 

Exactly, Bulgarian Split Squats (wasn’t sure anybody would know that lift) are tough. They have kicked my butt more than once. 

Question for the forum, besides his age (22) why does it appear Ochai is falling down draft boards? 

Or is his supposed fall a smokescreen or strictly related to his age? 

1 hour ago, MagicFanDan said:

I’m a Jabari fan, so I’m not trying to defend Chet or his strength. However, I did want to clear up a few things from your post that were misstated. 

When he’s using the 25lbs dumbbells he’s not doing lunges. He’s doing 1 legged squats, but his back foot does touch the ground for balance purposes which leads to the look of a lunge. However, we do know it’s a one leg squat and not a lunge, because you can see in the video he’s not using his back leg to generate force. So, for this lift the 25lbs isn’t something to balk at. It’s also not something to brag about either frankly. 

Also, he’s not front squatting and he’s not using a smith machine. The bar he’s using is called a safety squat bar and it’s actually used frequently in high performance gyms as it still provides a great lift, while being safer. Specifically it improves posture by having your knees over your toes and it puts less pressure on the shoulders and traps. 

Now I agree he’s not lifting huge weight, but he does have good form and he’s getting deep. 

Also, I agree on the barebell RDL’s he’s not lifting heavy, but he is going below his knees and he’s not rounding his back. His form is solid, but again the weight isn’t much. 

With that said, this video doesn’t change my option of Chet positive or negative. But it is a good indicator that this isn’t his first time in the gym like his body might make it appear at first glance.

His form isn’t that of a gym novice. 

Edit- please know these comments weren’t meant as a personal attack or to discredit your opinion.  It’s obvious you’re basketball IQ is very high and your draft opinions are noteworthy. I just wanted to provide some clarity form a lifting perspective as I’ve spent many years in high performance gyms. 

Yeah for comparison sake my son does the Bulgarian squat with one leg rested on a bench and 65 lb dumbbells …he just recently got into fitness …weighs 180 …does 15-20 reps with each leg …he said and I agree the way he does it is much harder …but right now my son is just a lifeguard at the local YMCA not trying to get drafted and bang down low with NBA Bigs …he said at Chet’s size that is very weak …yeah he’s definitely front squatting …but the barbell he is using does not weight the typical 45 lbs the usual ones do …also no offense taken 

Back to this link …

https://hoopshype.com/gallery/kevin-durant-players-bench-press-nba-draft-combine/

So of the 24 players on this list that could not bench press 185 pounds 11 of them had careers that lasted 2 or less years …of the 24 players listed only 2 were Centers …the one center that has a build similar to Chet’s his career only lasted 6 games…the other center lasted one season  …the other 22 were all guards/wings … bench press is relevant in the NBA …or it wouldn’t be an evaluation tool at the combine …and I’d still like to know what Chet’s is for anyone that might have data .

Still, Sharpe has his sights set on much bigger things. He said he grew up watching video of Jordan, Kobe Bryant and, more recently, Zach Lavine.

“I really study those three guys,” he said.

His short- and long-term goals are not modest.

“I see myself being one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball, just geting after it and competing,” he said. “One of my goals is to win Rookie of the Year and also All-Star and later on Hall of Fame.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2022/06/17/nba-draft-mystery-man-shaedon-sharpe-says-his-goal-is-to-be-one-of-the-greatest-players-to-ever-play-the-game-of-basketball/amp/

Wow kid has goals …interesting read …lotta quotes from him here 

Regardless of who we personally want, this has been one of the most entertaining lead ups to a draft I can remember. Im sure in part due to us having the first pick. I can confidently say I have switched my preference just about every day since it was announced we had the 1st pick. 

Mostly Chet/ Jabari like everyone else but there has been a day or 2 where I preferred Paolo, and even Sharpe. 

Today I’m thinking Chet, it will more than likely be changing tomorrow. 

50 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Still, Sharpe has his sights set on much bigger things. He said he grew up watching video of Jordan, Kobe Bryant and, more recently, Zach Lavine.

“I really study those three guys,” he said.

His short- and long-term goals are not modest.

“I see myself being one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball, just geting after it and competing,” he said. “One of my goals is to win Rookie of the Year and also All-Star and later on Hall of Fame.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2022/06/17/nba-draft-mystery-man-shaedon-sharpe-says-his-goal-is-to-be-one-of-the-greatest-players-to-ever-play-the-game-of-basketball/amp/

Wow kid has goals …interesting read …lotta quotes from him here 

I've got to say, I'm definitely interested in this kid. Can he be the "next" Michael or Kobe? Maybe not; but the fact that he has the confidence to state his goals, and name Michael/Kobe/Zach Levine (?)  as his inspirations/players whose games he studies definitely says something about him - and yet the quotes don't come across as arrogant, just driven. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the gym, workout rooms, and interviews!!! 

I think someone is going to pull a surprise pick in the top three, and one of the projected top-3 bigs is going to fall to 4th or even 5th. I don't know if Sharpe or Ivey (or even a bigger shocker?) is going to make that jump; but I just feel it in the air. 

I don't think Presti will pony up the #2/#12 to move up that one spot, but I think Houston with the #3/#17 just might be in the mix. I think the phones are probably really heating up about now. 

I have 3 reasons why I'm desperate for us to pick Chet:

1. Because I think he's the best prospect

2. Because I put a bet on him being the #1 pick the day we won the lottery

3. Because the salt on this board would be hilarious. 

It'll probably be Jabari. But a guy can hope lol

• Like 1