CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

not trilled with drafting another PG or PF in the 2nd round when we're already loaded at those positions. 

Nembhard I like. He's 6'5 and can play off ball.

PBJ in my opinion is a stretch 5, he's not athletic enough to play the 4 and he's 6'10 with a +ve wingspan. 

3 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

How could we possibly not pick him???

I dont think i have heard that remix of that song... Who is that?

1 hour ago, Nyce_1 said:

not trilled with drafting another PG or PF in the 2nd round when we're already loaded at those positions. 

Yes and no. I would argue that we only have one, true PG in Markelle Fultz. I think that Suggs, Anthony, Hampton, (and Cannady) are all more combo guards than they are true points. Of the three under contract (Cannady unguaranteed), Suggs is probably the next closest to a true PG. 

As far as PF go, all three of Isaac, Okeke, and F Wagner are to varying degrees combo forwards. I think of Franz as more of a 3/4 and Isaac/Okeke as more of a 4/3. I would class Isaac as a PF, but he did play quite a bit of SF with Gordon at the PF. Currently under contract we look like this:

Fultz/Suggs/Cannady (not-guaranteed)

Anthony/Hampton

F Wagner/Ross

Isaac/Okeke

Carter/M Wagner (not-guaranteed)

Bamba and Bol are "regular" Restricted Free Agents (if we make the Qualifying Offers), Brazdeikis and Schofield are "2-way" potentially Restricted, and Harris and Lopez are straight Free Agents.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but I am far more interested in talent right now than I am with fit, so when we get to the second round, I don't care what position they play, I want the Best Player Available at both of those slots. Whether your definition of BPA is "Highest Upside", or "Ready to Contribute". Maybe you even go with one of each. 

Personally, I like David Roddy as a ready-to-contribute player; though not necessarily the highest upside or position of need. If we go with one of the three "bigs" at #1, then hopefully we find some competent wings and/or true backup PG either in the second round or through free agency. I'm not sold on Hampton at all, and I'm not confident with our SG/SF depth. We have a lot of guys who CAN play multiple positions, I'm just not sure they should at this point of their careers. I think a little more focus on playing/learning one position might help some of our young guys. 

43 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

And do what?  Bless the former Gator's heart, but if he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he loses tremendous value.  There is a reason why he and Tre Mann couldn't coexist on the court.  Both NEEEEEEEED the ball in their hands to be effective. 

55 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

PBJ in my opinion is a stretch 5, he's not athletic enough to play the 4 and he's 6'10 with a +ve wingspan. 

Baldwin is a strange one because he isn’t really a big. He’s more like a giant 2 guard. The problem is that after looking really good in HS he went to a bad team and looked terrible most of the time, then apparently tasted really poorly. Hard to know what to do with him. 

kinda similar to the story with Cam Reddish a couple years ago. Highly touted out of HS, did not back that up in college. How much do you take into account what they looked like as a prospect out of HS? 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And do what?  Bless the former Gator's heart, but if he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he loses tremendous value.  There is a reason why he and Tre Mann couldn't coexist on the court.  Both NEEEEEEEED the ball in their hands to be effective. 

Spot up, be a connective passer, run second side pick and roll. He was the 3rd highest scorer on his team with a 19% usage he's hardly some ball dominant guard.

14 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Baldwin is a strange one because he isn’t really a big. He’s more like a giant 2 guard. The problem is that after looking really good in HS he went to a bad team and looked terrible most of the time, then apparently tasted really poorly. Hard to know what to do with him. 

kinda similar to the story with Cam Reddish a couple years ago. Highly touted out of HS, did not back that up in college. How much do you take into account what they looked like as a prospect out of HS? 

According to BallJunkie HS stats are indicative of future NBA performance no matter if you didnt play for the last year or played badly if your Shaedon Sharpe (heh)

PBJ averaged 24.3 points and 10.8 rebounds per game in HS and was #5 on ESPN 2021 recruits with Chet (1), hardy(2), bates(3) and Banchero(4) and Jabari(6)

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Spot up, be a connective passer, run second side pick and roll. He was the 3rd highest scorer on his team with a 19% usage he's hardly some ball dominant guard.

Yeah he definitely developed as a more all around player when he got to play for a coach that actually understood offense

• Like 1

The Thunder are said to be aggressively pursuing trade conversations for this pick, seeking to package it with future assets or existing OKC players in order to move into the mid-lottery, with players including Jaden Ivey and Shaedon Sharpe believed to be among the potential prospects they covet.

Presti with pick 12 …second time Givony has said this …Presti knows talent …nuff said 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Mocks have Jabari at 1 because the "buzz" says that's who we'll pick not because "the experts" think he's the best prospect. ESPN has Chet Holmgren at #1 on their best available. Kevin O Connor has Paolo Banchero at #1 (Jabari at #2) on his Big Board. Jonathan Wasserman has Paolo Banchero at #1 on his big board (Jabari at #3, Chet at #2) on his big board. Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated has Jabari at #1 on his big board. Sam Vecinie's last big board I can find online free (don't have The Athletic anymore) had Chet at #1. 

Hollinger and Vecenie both have Smith at 1 on their boards. Yet I don’t consider any of these guys experts. The experts are the guys getting paid millions to actually make the picks.

Edit - And I could be wrong, but isn’t the “buzz” what they’re hearing teams are going to do (not what they or fans think teams should do)?

• Upvote 1