CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

Alternately, they want one of the three bigs, or Ivey; and they are trying to use reverse psychology to get someone above them to take Sharpe! 

I can see management now - "At the #5 pick, we're going to leak that Sharpe is average and hope that Orlando, OKC, and Houston assume we mean the opposite and fall so strongly for it that they draft Sharpe ahead of us and give us one of the actual top 4 players." Very realistic scenario right there. 

13 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I can see management now - "At the #5 pick, we're going to leak that Sharpe is average and hope that Orlando, OKC, and Houston assume we mean the opposite and fall so strongly for it that they draft Sharpe ahead of us and give us one of the actual top 4 players." Very realistic scenario right there. 

I think you’re hypothetically speaking …but I see a top 6-8 that all have warts and all have strengths ….beauty is in the eyes of the beholder …find a team with a need and fleece …I posted two vids yesterday …Detroit would value Smith …OKC needs a big like Chet …we gotta maximize whatever value we can from having the top pick 

33 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

How could we possibly not pick him???

By deciding his inability to get to the rim consistently will prevent him from ever being a dominant NBA player.

We could pass on Chet because his physique suggests his ability to defend in the post could be problematic OR we pass on Paolo because his defense and ball dominance don't fit our style OR we pass on Ivey because his size and ball dominance are duplicative of Markell and Jalen.

I wish there was a clear cut #1.  Oh well.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

How could we possibly not pick him???

Easily you just... Call in a different name on draft night.

• Upvote 1

That latest Wasserman mock has us taking Nembhard and PBJ in the 2nd round. It's not my favourite outcome but I'd be happy with both picks. 

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

That latest Wasserman mock has us taking Nembhard and PBJ in the 2nd round. It's not my favourite outcome but I'd be happy with both picks. 

not trilled with drafting another PG or PF in the 2nd round when we're already loaded at those positions. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

By deciding his inability to get to the rim consistently will prevent him from ever being a dominant NBA player.

We could pass on Chet because his physique suggests his ability to defend in the post could be problematic OR we pass on Paolo because his defense and ball dominance don't fit our style OR we pass on Ivey because his size and ball dominance are duplicative of Markell and Jalen.

I wish there was a clear cut #1.  Oh well.

I know what your saying in the sense that there isn’t a Shaq or Duncan sitting there at number 1.  However on the vast majority of Mock Drafts from “the experts” Smith is number 1 by a wide margin.  I know they all have warts as we all have discussed but in my opinion he is as cant miss as Cade was last year.  I am that same point you all are with “my guy” in case you cant tell  lol

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

54 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I'd love to see us trade our 2 2nds to get into the late 1st round and grab Christian Koloko. Cya Bamba!

He'll probably be on the board with either of our 2nds. Unless his stock has spiked recently I don't recall many (if any) people having him in the first.

5 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I know what your saying in the sense that there isn’t a Shaq or Duncan sitting there at number 1.  However on the vast majority of Mock Drafts from “the experts” Smith is number 1 by a wide margin.  I know they all have warts as we all have discussed but in my opinion he is as cant miss as Cade was last year.  I am that same point you all are with “my guy” in case you cant tell  lol

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-consensus-mock-draft

Mocks have Jabari at 1 because the "buzz" says that's who we'll pick not because "the experts" think he's the best prospect. ESPN has Chet Holmgren at #1 on their best available. Kevin O Connor has Paolo Banchero at #1 (Jabari at #2) on his Big Board. Jonathan Wasserman has Paolo Banchero at #1 on his big board (Jabari at #3, Chet at #2) on his big board. Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated has Jabari at #1 on his big board. Sam Vecinie's last big board I can find online free (don't have The Athletic anymore) had Chet at #1.