CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Chet and JI would have great chemistry in suits on the recovery bench. Let's try and draft someone that doesn't obviously look like they are going to get hurt.

you could go the other way and draft a greg oden or andrew bynum player, but thats not indicative of their injury potential

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Natesroom said:

you could go the other way and draft a greg oden or andrew bynum player, but thats not indicative of their injury potential

Anybody that can look at Chet and see a future NBA body needs to share whatever they are smokin' with the rest of us. O--->---------< is all bones and skin with narrow shoulders that indicate that he won't be able to put on much weight.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Chemistry is kind of this nebulous thing that is hard to quantify, but I believe a huge success for Franz this year was the addition of his brother. In the same way i think Chet having spent three years in HS with Suggs, and then following him to Zaga (though not playing with him) I think if he comes to the magic it will help bring out the best in both. 

Its not like you'd be drafting a sub par player with the hopes that he will be better due to chemistry. He arguably is the top pick in the draft and chemistry is like a cherry on top.

I agree.

This team has a lot of pre-existing chemistry already. Bamba and Cole were best friends, RJ and Suggs were good friends prior to the draft. The Wagner brothers. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly sure Chuma and WCJ knew each other from the Atlanta basketball scene too.

It's not like something that you use to justify a pick but it's certainly a nice bonus to know that the pick isn't going to disrupt the locker room and will have people they trust and can lean on alongside them as a rookie. 

(Allow me to dream a little with this last comment...) Suggs and Chet won 3 state titles together as teenagers. Imagine the 30 for 30 they'd make if they won 3 NBA titles together too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Anybody that can look at Chet and see a future NBA body needs to share whatever they are smokin' with the rest of us.

now i hope we draft him just to spite you. lol

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

now i hope we draft him just to spite you. lol

I would love to see us get him and prove that he can stay on the court. That would be great.

Unfortunately, I just can't imagine him surviving playing against grown men. Guys like Lebron, Giannis, Zion, and anybody else with a big, strong, hard charging body are just going to run him over and he's going to get hurt. He has zero padding. Every time he hits the floor it's going to be hardwood vs bones.

50 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Found an article all about Sharpe (no-name writer / pistons page) https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2022/6/9/23157291/shaedon-sharpe-scouting-report-2022-nba-draft-detroit-pistons

Lol a writer that won’t even attach his name …was on YouTube last night …just Piston vid after vid saying we gotta get this guy .

Also on Howard …I said initially he was obviously a great player in HS but that his numbers were inflated because you know with a school that small they had to have played more than one cupcake school …Sharpe put up those numbers in tournaments featuring the best players HS has to offer …that’s why he got number 1 rated player in his class 

26 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Lol a writer that won’t even attach his name …was on YouTube last night …just Piston vid after vid saying we gotta get this guy .

Also on Howard …I said initially he was obviously a great player in HS but that his numbers were inflated because you know with a school that small they had to have played more than one cupcake school …Sharpe put up those numbers in tournaments featuring the best players HS has to offer …that’s why he got number 1 rated player in his class 

Im pretty sure dwight was #1 rated  he received the Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award, the Morgan Wootten High School Player of the Year Award, Gatorade National Player of the Year and the McDonald's National High School Player of the Year honor

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

Im pretty sure dwight was #1 rated  he received the Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award, the Morgan Wootten High School Player of the Year Award, Gatorade National Player of the Year and the McDonald's National High School Player of the Year honor

Sharpe went from an unranked recruit to the top prospect in the country following a stellar junior season at Dream City. He also starred in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League and represented Canada at the 2019 FIBA Under-16 Americas Championship in Brazil, where he averaged 13 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists to help his team win the silver medal. He solidified himself as the consensus No. 1 recruit after averaging 22.6 points in 28.3 minutes per game for UPlay Canada in the EYBL.

“A little-known prospect unranked by recruiting services at the beginning of the 2020-21 high school season, Sharpe led the prestigious Nike EYBL in scoring this past July, making a dramatic rise to the No. 1 spot in the ESPN 100 before signing with Kentucky,” ESPN’s Jonathan Givony wrote when Sharpe was declared eligible for the draft. “Sharpe is considered a potential top-five pick in the 2022 NBA draft thanks to his combination of prototypical frame with dynamic shot-making and explosive finishing ability, regularly coming up with highlight-reel-caliber dunks, blocks and putbacks.”

Sharpe says he models his game after the likes of Bradley Beal and Devin Booker. The Ringer’s J. Kyle Mann recently noted Sharpe shot 35% from 3-point range in 12 games at the 2020-21 Grind Session, 36.1% in 12 games in the 2021 EYBL and 36.8% in three games at the 2021 Top Flight Invite.

I guess we can say both are pretty good players …Ima bout to give up though …sure doesn’t feel like Shaedon is an option for us …I’m not even sure he’s gonna work out for us and if that’s the case it is highly disappointing …I mean why would you not at least look at a guy who has major talent ???

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I agree.

This team has a lot of pre-existing chemistry already. Bamba and Cole were best friends, RJ and Suggs were good friends prior to the draft. The Wagner brothers. I don't know for certain but I'm fairly sure Chuma and WCJ knew each other from the Atlanta basketball scene too.

It's not like something that you use to justify a pick but it's certainly a nice bonus to know that the pick isn't going to disrupt the locker room and will have people they trust and can lean on alongside them as a rookie. 

(Allow me to dream a little with this last comment...) Suggs and Chet won 3 state titles together as teenagers. Imagine the 30 for 30 they'd make if they won 3 NBA titles together too. 

Yeah if we get Chet i'm not going to boo or anything. Just hard to imagine him staying healthy. Love the Chemistry thing, it does seem like everyone on the team likes each other. 

Speaking of 30 for 30, i read a funny thread on reddit the other day after the OKC/Denver trade. Someone said they are going to make the ultimate 30 for 30 about Sam Presti. After he acquires all 30 first round picks in the 2030 draft.

It's gonna be hard to beat out any trade offers he makes in 2023. Reading the OKC posts that seems to be the year they are targeting. Maybe Orlando should get out there and spend our money this year.

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

In your opinion is he an Alpha ? Will he turn into a Star ? …I noticed your article said he “could” develop …that article I posted yesterday said Sharpe is already showing Alpha characteristics .

Tell you what Soul …if all we do is make our pick at the top and nothing more …and Sharpe blows up …I will take no joy in celebrating an I was right moment …in fact I will be very sad thinking of the what ifs …Sharpe is the kind of talent that has the ability to make GM’s that pass on him an asterisk for life …probably good he ain’t going first …takes any pressure that he might have had off …still hoping Weltham trades down to get him grabbing other assets in the process .

If we pass on any star, it’ll be rough. WeltHam are definitely on the clock. To answer your questions about Smith, I absolutely believe he’s an alpha and can be a star. He’s an offensive assassin with his shot and a super switchable giant wing. I think Holmgren, Banchero, Ivey and Sharpe also all have star potential… though I believe certain guys better fit our system and culture.

2 hours ago, Natesroom said:

Chemistry is kind of this nebulous thing that is hard to quantify, but I believe a huge success for Franz this year was the addition of his brother. In the same way i think Chet having spent three years in HS with Suggs, and then following him to Zaga (though not playing with him) I think if he comes to the magic it will help bring out the best in both. 

Its not like you'd be drafting a sub par player with the hopes that he will be better due to chemistry. He arguably is the top pick in the draft and chemistry is like a cherry on top.

I personally believe this is a very significant factor.

Last post during my lunch hour: I really want Jalen Williams. Seems like a seasoned player who’d fit our mold and be a great point forward. Credit to CTMagicUK for turning me onto him.

• Upvote 1