CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

8 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Here’s my confession: I’m an Orlando Magic homer and will convince myself whoever we pick is destined to be absolutely amazing.

Same. I talk a lot about prospects. On June 24th our guy will be the only one I care about. I was a big Giddey guy last year, I can count on one hand the amount of times Ive thought about him without being prompted by seeing a highlight or something. No matter who the pick is Im an optimist and a Magic fan (a difficult combination!) So until we actually see them play an NBA game I'll be convincing myself they're going to be LeBron. 

I don't know whether it's this phenomenon combined with just preparing myself for the most likely outcome but I think I've convinced myself that I'd like the Jabari pick lol

• Upvote 3

I finally found it …this is a dunk Sharpe did 3 years ago representing Canada in FIBA Americas tournament when he had just turned 16 …no facial hair yet lol …this is probably a highlight dunk of his you haven’t seen yet …but the article even calls it “Jordanesque” and Sharpe stares the defender down just like Mike after the dunk :

https://basketballbuzz.ca/fiba/shaedon-sharpe-posterizes-dominican-defender-at-u16-fiba-americas/amp/

9 hours ago, ball junkie said:

He also said the same about Sharpe as you know …but all the talk of it’s a risk to take Sharpe to high because of not enough data or he’s just a high schooler …which to me is BS …they didn’t have anything but HS data back in 2005 and before either …so Sharpe has slipped some because of the unknown quantity …so, at least the media and probably GM’s don’t consider Sharpe a number 1 candidate because of the quote ‘risk’ factor …so Vecine or anyone else hasn’t mentioned Sharpe as a number 1 candidate …they all have warts Bro …equal value at the top …Weltham on the clock …let’s see what they can do ….do you see a deep playoff run anytime in the future if all we do is make our pick and that’s it for the foreseeable future ?

No matter who we pick, I believe we’re still a few years from a deep run. That said, given that you quoted Vecenie, I just thought his comments about Smith warrant further reflection. Here’s what he said:

f I had to handicap the most likely player to go No. 1 pre-draft, I would still go with Jabari Smith Jr. He’s the youngest and in many ways has the fewest question marks about his game. What he does as a shooter translates. How he moves defensively translates. What we’ve seen this year in the playoffs — in terms of who the most important players are and how versatility, mobility and the ability to minimize mismatches are critical — shows why Smith just makes the most sense at No. 1. He won’t be played off the floor, and he could develop into the kind of wing shot maker whom teams covet.”

https://theathletic.com/3277809/2022/05/02/2022-nba-draft-big-board-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren/?amp=1

55 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

No matter who we pick, I believe we’re still a few years from a deep run. That said, given that you quoted Vecenie, I just thought his comments about Smith warrant further reflection. Here’s what he said:

f I had to handicap the most likely player to go No. 1 pre-draft, I would still go with Jabari Smith Jr. He’s the youngest and in many ways has the fewest question marks about his game. What he does as a shooter translates. How he moves defensively translates. What we’ve seen this year in the playoffs — in terms of who the most important players are and how versatility, mobility and the ability to minimize mismatches are critical — shows why Smith just makes the most sense at No. 1. He won’t be played off the floor, and he could develop into the kind of wing shot maker whom teams covet.”

https://theathletic.com/3277809/2022/05/02/2022-nba-draft-big-board-jabari-smith-chet-holmgren/?amp=1

In your opinion is he an Alpha ? Will he turn into a Star ? …I noticed your article said he “could” develop …that article I posted yesterday said Sharpe is already showing Alpha characteristics .

Tell you what Soul …if all we do is make our pick at the top and nothing more …and Sharpe blows up …I will take no joy in celebrating an I was right moment …in fact I will be very sad thinking of the what ifs …Sharpe is the kind of talent that has the ability to make GM’s that pass on him an asterisk for life …probably good he ain’t going first …takes any pressure that he might have had off …still hoping Weltham trades down to get him grabbing other assets in the process .

20 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

So it begins......

Is this a positive trade for the Magic?

Could it make OKC a bit better than the Magic next year?

Could it make the Nuggets a bit worst than the road? We have their 2025 pick

11 hours ago, Natesroom said:

If we are basing things on HS stats, Which HS player do you take??

Player 1 HS stats
22.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists

Player 2 HS stats
20.8 points, 12.6 rebounds, 4.7 blocks and 4.4 assists

Player 3 HS stats
22.6 points, 11.0 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.6 blocks

10 hours ago, ball junkie said:

I’m assuming one of these players is Howard stats in HS …clearly Dwight was awesome …but he also put up those numbers against some small schools because his HS was only 100 kids …so I think his numbers are inflated because of that .

Assuming player 1 is Sharpe you know who I’d take and you already know why …watching the Finals right now and they are just now talking about wings with size to make deep runs in the playoffs are not only valuable but a necessity …Sharpe (cough cough) 6’5 1/2 with a 7 foot wingspan …with that physique he has and the football mentality how big do you think he’ll be in a few years ?

1 - Sharpe

2 - Holmgren

3 - Paolo

Jabari averaged 24/10

• Like 1

And I will be very sad if we pick Chet, he plays 20-30 great games, then gets injured and is out for the rest of the season.  I still think Chet gets repeatedly trampled by grown men in the NBA. We already have JI to be our token great player that doesn't play much.

If we pick 1st we have to take Smith, it's a no brainer.
I'd love to trade back a bit and pick up some assets while drafting Sharpe.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ball junkie said:

I’m assuming one of these players is Howard stats in HS …clearly Dwight was awesome …but he also put up those numbers against some small schools because his HS was only 100 kids …so I think his numbers are inflated because of that .

Assuming player 1 is Sharpe you know who I’d take and you already know why …watching the Finals right now and they are just now talking about wings with size to make deep runs in the playoffs are not only valuable but a necessity …Sharpe (cough cough) 6’5 1/2 with a 7 foot wingspan …with that physique he has and the football mentality how big do you think he’ll be in a few years ?

Its interesting that you downplay howards stats (25/18 and 8 blocks in 33 games) as inflated, but Sharpes stats as correct projection in only 12 games at EYBL

Chemistry is kind of this nebulous thing that is hard to quantify, but I believe a huge success for Franz this year was the addition of his brother. In the same way i think Chet having spent three years in HS with Suggs, and then following him to Zaga (though not playing with him) I think if he comes to the magic it will help bring out the best in both. 

Its not like you'd be drafting a sub par player with the hopes that he will be better due to chemistry. He arguably is the top pick in the draft and chemistry is like a cherry on top.

• Upvote 1

Found an article all about Sharpe (no-name writer / pistons page) https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2022/6/9/23157291/shaedon-sharpe-scouting-report-2022-nba-draft-detroit-pistons

If we are using past high school prospects as a scale from Ousmane Cisse and Ricky Sanchez (who never played an NBA game) to KG and Kobe, I would place Shaedon Sharpe somewhere around the J.R. Smith part of the scale. I am NOT saying their games are similar, but I would buy into Sharpe being a player that had career per-game averages of 12.4 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.0 steals and shooting splits of 46.3/37.3/73.3, all while being an above-average NBA athlete.

The one thing both JR and Sharpe seem to share is the knack for scoring and being a walking heat-check. In the good games that Sharpe had, I think it is pretty easy to see the ability to just take over and fire away, for better or worse. I do think Sharpe seems to care more about the defensive side of the ball than JR did, but that is only my projection and only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Natesroom said:

Chemistry is kind of this nebulous thing that is hard to quantify, but I believe a huge success for Franz this year was the addition of his brother. In the same way i think Chet having spent three years in HS with Suggs, and then following him to Zaga (though not playing with him) I think if he comes to the magic it will help bring out the best in both. 

Its not like you'd be drafting a sub par player with the hopes that he will be better due to chemistry. He arguably is the top pick in the draft and chemistry is like a cherry on top.

Chet and JI would have great chemistry in suits on the recovery bench. Let's try and draft someone that doesn't obviously look like they are going to get hurt.